Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Tim99

Lunar Eclipse Sept. 27 (Should be a dandy!)

it's a lovely night here too.  I wonder just how dark the Moon will go  - soon find out !

andrew

Not sure if it's just due to the clarity of my skies tonight but the umbra shadow is very well defined with a hint of orange beginning to show on the edge of the disk.

Looking really good.

• Like 2

All beautifully set up, DSLR through Celestron 4SE OTA, HEQ5 - and at 2am the fog rolled in - can't see a thing  :sad:

starting to look a whole lot darker here - sky look a lot blacker to the east as orion rises.

Edited by SnakeyJ
  • Like 1

Not sure if it's just due to the clarity of my skies tonight but the umbra shadow is very well defined with a hint of orange beginning to show on the edge of the disk.

Looking really good.

Same here - much more pronouced than I was expecting !

I'll put in a 68° 34 mm for totality, that gives a tvof of 4.6°. Hope to see many stars around a red Moon.

It's brownish now in the umbra.

Clear skies here although hazy. Very obvious umbra shadow with about 50% of the moon hidden now. Satellite image shows a clearer slot moving towards my location as I type, so hopefully an even sharper view to come towards totality.

Unaided I can see a very delicate red hue to the shadow and all th outline as the glare fades down.   Lovely dark sky now.

Looking great here! Just getting a brew to wake up then heading out

• Like 1

Optical illusion - seems to be a very fine but bright red ring around the moons edge.

Looking fantastic in Northampton...almost full and lovely and Red....... most spooky :laugh:

Totality here and the redness is deepening. Had a quick scan around the sky and M31 and the Double Cluster are clear to the naked eye. Also could clearly see M33 through the binos on this night with a 'full moon'

• Like 2

Still brownish red here and much paler and brighter on the south rim.

Big spider is being eaten by a smaller spider. In its own web! 

Totality here and the redness is deepening. Had a quick scan around the sky and M31 and the Double Cluster are clear to the naked eye. Also could clearly see M33 through the binos on this night with a 'full moon'

Fabulous views here as well. I can now see M31 with the naked eye and M33 with 10x50 binoculars. The Milky Way is snaking through Cygnus - and there is a full moon in the sky !!!. Weird but wonderful :grin:

• Like 1

Looking wonderful in the little tak, hanging there surrounded by pin point stars

• Like 1