Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Eclipse Sept. 27 (Should be a dandy!)

Tim99

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else see the bright meteor heading towards Orion as totality approached?

I don't think I seen a meteor but I did have a few minutes with the Orion nebula last night and a satellite flew straight across the middle of the FOV. I looked like it was heading straight through the trapezium as though it was some sort of gate :smile:

What a great night - glad so many people got a chance to see it. I was struck by the diamond  ring kind of effect - like you get with the Sun.  It lasted for a good few minutes and was stunning.  So much to see with the naked eye in the sky also.

Another highlight, but through the telescope, was the Double Cluster at 15x and 3.5 degrees view - more diamonds again  !

andrew

I had a quick look at the DC too, and the Pleiades. Great early morning, well worth setting the alarm for!

A fantastic night over here in Southern Portugal. Clear and mild. Moon a lovely orange transparent floating precious gem set amongst diamonds. Probably my favourite view was through the 10x50 binos, and just beautiful too with the 38mm SWA on my 150mm f/8. We had six children and a bunch of adults here passing the binoculars around and taking turns at the eyepiece, my 3 year-old asleep on a mattress outside with us.  Really really great night!

It was a wonderful event.  I didn't think about reporting live as the event was happening.  I really enjoyed reading the comments everyone made while the eclipse was happening!  My forecast was not good but the skies cleared late afternoon here.  I couldn't believe it!  So I grabbed my ED80 and the camera and got set up.  Clouds were hit and miss but I manage to watch the eclipse up until it was full.  It just started to go the other way and the clouds rolled in ... that ended the session.  This Lunar Eclipse was one for the books!  I truly will never forget it.

post-45511-0-89505300-1443644403_thumb.jpost-45511-0-89505300-1443644403_thumb.j

post-45511-0-50350600-1443644480_thumb.j

Archived