Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

astromerlin

Members
  • Content Count

    711
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

96 Excellent

7 Followers

About astromerlin

  • Rank
    Proto Star

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Mid Devon
  1. Depending on actual dates Kes and I are also interested.
  2. Hi, I'm just in the process of doing a belt mod on my Black EQ6. I have noticed whilst stripping it down that the worm spindle end cap that covers the worm bearing adjustment ring is locked with a grubscrew. I suspect that originally there were shims between the adjustment ring and the endcap so you could snug the adjustment ring, add shims and then fit endcap and lock endcap in place with the grub. The grubscrew and shims were missing and the previous owner had put a dab of thread lock after adjusting. This had worked well as there was no perceptable play in the shaft and the adjustment ring unscrewed after a small force. If you do use threadlock, make sure it is the blue one and only use a pinhead size dab after you have snugged the ring down. This will be enough to stop it moving of it's own accord, put too much and it will be a pain in the elbow to remove.
  3. I did one similar to michaelmorris, I used four of those metal pointy spike things for fencing bashed in the ground, stuffed in some 3"x3" fence post and topped off with some heavy duty steel u-track. The shed was of apex design, purchased off the well known website and positioned against two of the uprights. The roof part was laid flat and framed with some old dexion I had laying around topped off with lino currently and fitted with an electric motor for opening and closing. It has stood up to at least three gale force storms and is still currently water tight and solid as a rock.
  4. Kes and I are booked, thanks Grant. Can't wait now. See you all there.
  5. If you already have an old style black eq6 they can be modified for goto and connection to a computer. You will need to replace the stepper motors and make a new controller. If you have played with Arduino there is firmware for those. https://www.astroeq.co.uk/about.php
  6. When you say "old EQ6" do you mean the old black ones? They dont have goto or computer connection without extensive modification.
  7. "OMG, I think we've found life on that little blue planet"... No wait, that's the rear facing camera. Would be great news if they have found a planet with similar conditions to our own.
  8. Perhaps we should bring it up to-date and call it "Whats in the freezer" moon, who needs to do shopping when it's cold out.
  9. As an experiment, try a dew type heater wrapped around the motor body. If left on whilst the roof is open it should provide enough heat to stop the motor from freezing up if that is the problem.
  10. I'd go with gravel, line the path with 3"X3/4" wood staked in, weed mat and then fill with gravel. This does mean digging out though, so perhaps organise a "bring your own spade" barbie/starparty.
  11. I still have a Tektronix scope, it still works although I dont use it mainly because it's the size of a tea chest so it resides in my cupboard of "It might be worth something one day" items.
  12. Compared with a proper ocilloscope, a toy maybe. With most of the current projects I'm working on it would be handy to use a scope, my 200mhz scope is the size of a suitcase and difficult to lug about. The Hantek would still need a laptop and the usual psu,cables a place to lay it all out etc.. So a battery powered scope the size of your hand with it's own screen seems very attractive as long as you're aware of the limitations.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.