Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Eclipse Sept. 27 (Should be a dandy!)

Tim99

I have been reading about the upcoming eclipse and I sure hope the sky is clear on the 27th.  I live in the NorthEast and Observers in the eastern half of North America can watch every stage of the eclipse, from beginning to end of the partial phases (31⁄3 hours in all) during convenient hours of late twilight or darkness with the Moon mostly high in the sky.  

I am thinking that if the weather is looking bad here,  I may hop in my car and start driving in the afternoon until I get to a place where clear skies are happening!

The interesting thing about this eclipse is it's the biggest eclipsed Moon you'll ever see! That's because the closest lunar perigee of 2015 occurs just 59 minutes before mid-eclipse. The Moon (in Pisces) will appear 13% larger in diameter than it did when eclipsed last April.  That should look pretty darned cool!

post-45511-0-68642500-1442793804.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Tim, how are you?

I started a thread about this that's just below yours. And it has links & everything. Here's one of the links:

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2015-september-28

I'm across Lake Champlain in Burlington, Vermont. So your weather is my weather a few hours later. Please turn on the Giant-Fans over on your side and blow any approaching clouds back to Ohio, please. I'll split the electric-bill with you!

See you in the Looney-Bin, do bring your own straight-jacket!

Dave

post-38438-0-74721800-1442810546_thumb.j

In sky safari if you turn on the "Earth & Moon shadow circles" in settings- solar system, you can use the time feature to fast forward through the eclipse. You can then get a visual idea of the extent of the shadow at various times.

post-20507-0-72433400-1442959645_thumb.j

The weather models continue to show better and better prospects for clear skies this weekend as we get closer to the event. The ECMWF model is currently showing a high pressure system of 1035mb. GFS is showing a high of 1030mb. All fingers crossed!

Recm1201.gif

I'm hoping to watch this. I have 2 weeks off work so I won't have to get up on Monday. However the reason I am off work is because my partner is giving birth to my son :) She's due in Sunday to have the labour induced so there's a very real chance my son will be born during the eclipse. Do you know, I think I'll forgive him :) Good luck everyone and post lots of pictures in case I have to miss it!

The forecast for here is currently solid cloud for the entire night :(

Best hope they're wrong...

James

Ditto :sad:

It looks like the east of the country will have more chance of clear skies. I might jump in the car and drive to the east coast.

My daughter and I are planning to get up for this event. By happy coincidence, Grace is off school - staff training and aims to take some pictures and I have no work on Monday - self employed... and clear skies are presently forecast for over Newcastle. Therefore we will take the bino's, monopod, cameras and flask to the allotment for the best view.

As Tim99 stated in the opening thread this eclipse is at Perigee and I understand that this has only occurred 5 times since 1900 the last being 1982.  Apparently the next one is 2033 so if it is clear tonight it really is worth observing.

Note - the thread heading shows 27th September which is correct for the United States but in the UK it is the early hours of the 28th September.

Archived