Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Bedford, UK

thc1979

Hi all, I am Tom and am new here.  I'm looking to progress my interest of astrophotography.  I have an iOptron Star Tracker which I use for wide-field images and this works well but I am now looking to go further afield.

I made a fatal mistake in 2011/12 of buying a Celestron LCM114.  I have never been able to even view through successfully and mounting a Canon 5D Mark III on it was like a sumo wrestler riding a mule.  On the plus side it is still running the original AA batteries.  I am now looking to purchase some new, and hopefully fit for purpose, equipment.  I am looking at an Skywatcher EQ6 Pro and Skywatcher Esprit-80ED Pro.  I haven't purchased them yet as 1. it is daylight 15 hours a day at the moment and 2. i am going to look through some of the threads in this forum to see what others have and the potential results.  All of my DSLRs are full frame (5D2x2, 6D, 5D3) and from what I have read elsewhere there can be issues with "back focus" so I need to find out what this is and ensure the kit I am thinking of getting will work with my DSLRs.

I'm sure I will be on here a fair bit and asking plenty of questions!!!  I promise to search past threads first!

p.s. if anyone wants a Celestron LCM114 there will be one in a wheelie bin outside my house soon!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tony,

The Observatory to which you refer belonged to a man by the name of Owen Rogers. I new him some years ago as we both

belonged to the same Microlight club. I landed at his airfield one day and he showed me inside the Dome. I may be wrong

but I am fairly sure I saw his obituary a few months ago.

Are you aware Tom and Tony that we have a thriving Astro Society in Bedford.

Hi Tony,

The Observatory to which you refer belonged to a man by the name of Owen Rogers. I new him some years ago as we both

belonged to the same Microlight club. I landed at his airfield one day and he showed me inside the Dome. I may be wrong

Hi Saganite, I wasn't aware of any local clubs but to be honest I hadn't looked either as from reading on other forums over the years (generally photography not astro) people who were more into astrophotography than astronomy had been left out a bit.  It kind of put me off clubs, however I am sure not all clubs are like this!

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware but now I know I'll get the details - do you have a website? - and maybe come along to learn.

That dome seems very large from the road - sure it must be impressive inside. Sad he may have passed away and hopefully someone is still getting use from his observatory.

Hi Tom and welcome to SGL, I am afraid Astrophotography is a black art to me, you may get some helpful advise from the Welcome section, but it is dedicated to welcoming newcomers. Best advise is to post your relevant inquiries into the Imaging sections, where you should get the help you require.

For those delving into the imaging side of things, a lot of help can provide by obtaining a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of the page for details. It is classed by many as a must have, adorning the shelves of most of the forums imagers. Enjoy the forum and your photography :)

Archived