Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SHOW US YOUR NEWTS........

I suspect that I am possibly the only person in the world to have owned two of these scopes. Cloud from the north spoiling things now. Still tracking :happy11:

Definitely a setup for windless nights like this although I hope for less cover!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 30 May 2015 at 15:46, John said:

My 1st proper scope. A late 1980's Astro Systems 6" F/6 with David Hinds mirrors on a Fullerscope Mk III eq mount:

post-118-0-39441800-1432997269_thumb.jpg

My Mk 3 Fullerscope mount was on a pier - very stable made from steam pipe. 

I have my Vixen focuser still, identical to yours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_20180110_120430.thumb.jpg.305304500e4a2adcb86e809cb90e480a.jpg

The Orion Optics VX8

This is my set up for my Grab and Go for dark site trips for DSO . I wanted something quick to get into the car, less than 5 mins. This set up will certainly obtain Grab and Go status in respect of that.  Hopefully still enough aperture to be great for DSO, but without the time and weight of loading my VX14, when I want a quick dark site trip at short notice. 

The VX 8 is sat on the AZ4 with 2" legs and initial impressions is that the mount will handle the size and weight, but time will tell how this combination works

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 22:37, laser_jock99 said:

6" GSO F4 Newtonian

Ahhgghh... Same setup. Try as I may, I CANNOT balance this thing! I also made long dovetails to match yours. It's the dslr which upsets the balance. I tried with a shorter dovetail and the camera hanging downwards -my usual position to lower the centre of gravity- but then I cannot push the tube far enough in the rings because the focuser fouls the dovetail. So the camera has to be to one side: that's the issue. Get it balanced in one orientation and a few degrees later and it's unbalanced once again. 

Short Newtonians with dslrs hanging off the side? Anyone?

Cheers and clear skies.

22 minutes ago, alacant said:

Ahhgghh... Same setup. Try as I may, I CANNOT balance this thing! I also made long dovetails to match yours. It's the dslr which upsets the balance. I tried with a shorter dovetail and the camera hanging downwards -my usual position to lower the centre of gravity- but then I cannot push the tube far enough in the rings because the focuser fouls the dovetail. So the camera has to be to one side: that's the issue. Get it balanced in one orientation and a few degrees later and it's unbalanced once again. 

Short Newtonians with dslrs hanging off the side? Anyone?

Cheers and clear skies.

The long dovetail is pretty much a must have. You'll also notice in my photo a short ED80 refractor top mounted on the Newt. The extra mass can be used to offset the weight of the camera somewhat. Balance never needs to be perferct though- a slight load is better for tracking stabilty I understand.

9 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

never needs to be perferct though

Thanks. Good to know. Next problem is that it doesn't reach focus with a dslr. Even with an 11mm Canon t-ring, there's not enough outward travel on the focuser. As I'm using the Aplanatic cc I can't use an extension tube so I'm gonna need a collar which slides over the cc to push the camera further out from the focuser, or take pot luck tightening the focuser without pushing the cc fully home. Why they've put the secondary so close to the primary, I've no idea. Close to giving up. Surely, it can't be this difficult! Any ideas anyone?

Cheers and clear skies.

Edited by alacant