NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SHOW US YOUR NEWTS........

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, iPeace said:

DSC_1572.thumb.JPG.b6eb969a8e3dc03bd8dd27e2f4bce02b.JPG

DSC_1573.thumb.JPG.e0ab2c186f2e975dc658baea5f1f7701.JPG

You kept that a little secret , I did not know you had one of these in the pipe line?

The question now is it a APO killer ? And is Stanley looking for a new home ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Timebandit said:

You kept that a little secret , I did not know you had one of these in the pipe line?

The question now is it a APO killer ? And is Stanley looking for a new home ?

It's been here for a while now, but I'm still not sure what to think. :icon_scratch:

It hasn't done anything more for me than the 6" f/6 - yet. I wasn't expecting a world of difference, but, well, it puts the added value of a 'better' mirror in perspective.

Stanley stays.

:happy11:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

It's been here for a while now, but I'm still not sure what to think. :icon_scratch:

It hasn't done anything more for me than the 6" f/6 - yet. I wasn't expecting a world of difference, but, well, it puts the added value of a 'better' mirror in perspective.

Stanley stays.

:happy11:

Of course Stanley stays ?

Funny old things these different grade of mirrors. I have a 1/10 grade OO and for a few months a 1/6 grade OO .  Tried some comparison on Luna ,and to date cannot see a lot of difference in the image. I have come to the conclusion that it is only when you get very very good seeing conditions that I may see a slight difference. But it is nice to know you have a high quality mirror in the scope for the rare moments or nights that seeing conditions allow the benefits of a high grade/quality mirror ☺

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

You kept that a little secret

You certainly did keep that quiet.   A very nice scope indeed.
I often wonder what a vx6l would do that my 150p f5 does not do?

Have you a thread on this like you did with the other Mike or are you still recovering from that epic test?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

I have come to the conclusion that it is only when you get very very good seeing conditions that I may see a slight difference.

...and I just don't get 'very very good' anywhere near home. :rolleyes2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

DSC_1572.thumb.JPG.b6eb969a8e3dc03bd8dd27e2f4bce02b.JPG

DSC_1573.thumb.JPG.e0ab2c186f2e975dc658baea5f1f7701.JPG

Mike, I thought you were going for an 8 inch. Did a dob seem too much? 

As a VX10L F6 attracts me, despite having a F5 10 inch, I can understand the appeal of longer FL/FR. Easier & less critical collimation & use of longer FL eyepieces are the appeal to me. What was your rationale? :)

Mike, looks a nice scope, hope it lives up to expectations, and really good to see pics of it, sadly my big Bresser has failed to impress me for imaging, great visual tube but most of my Luna visual is spent looking at the screen of the canon dslr, so sticking with old faifhful Mak 127

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Mike, looks a nice scope, hope it lives up to expectations, and really good to see pics of it, sadly my big Bresser has failed to impress me for imaging, great visual tube but most of my Luna visual is spent looking at the screen of the canon dslr, so sticking with old faifhful Mak 127

Nice to have a scope that's good for each :)

11 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I often wonder what a vx6l would do that my 150p f5 does not do?

You'd obviously have to compare them on a night with ideal conditions to really know. My guess so far is: not much.

13 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Have you a thread on this like you did with the other Mike or are you still recovering from that epic test?

I'll wait a while, if indeed I ever do.

• Like 1

Restoration project: sw 254 f4.7 dated 1999. Just look at it and it went out of alignment. Awful focuser (but not as awful as the dual speed Crayford!), awful tube, seized spider, tiny secondary, non springy springs, flexy dovetail... Loadsa frustration but all now tweaked and/or replaced

Major breakthrough with the collimation was the rigid box section along the top of the rings. It now holds at all angles. It's even lost that Skywatcher tinniness when you tap the tube. Reasonably sized galaxies at last:)

IMG_20180506_185607.thumb.jpg.4b91363a030977e4fea3c02ccc0e51ac.jpgIMG_20180506_185748.thumb.jpg.7fd4ee4ecfe0437ff6e0bb82803dc341.jpgIMG_20180506_185820.thumb.jpg.79a22c04ffd48d433baf32caa988d759.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 5

Reminds me - I have an STL for a small 3D printed adaptor that lets you use a cheap  and easily available aluminium extrusion from B&Q to make a top brace like that. i have a guidescope mounted on the one on my 130P-DS, the other is a handy second 'grab point' on my 150PL.

30 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

STL for a small 3D printed adaptor

Nothing as sophisticated I'm afraid. This is just brute force and ignorance 60x20 aluminium from the shed/door/window guy.

23 hours ago, alacant said:

Restoration project: sw 254 f4.7 dated 1999. Just look at it and it went out of alignment. Awful focuser (but not as awful as the dual speed Crayford!), awful tube, seized spider, tiny secondary, non springy springs, flexy dovetail... Loadsa frustration but all now tweaked and/or replaced

Major breakthrough with the collimation was the rigid box section along the top of the rings. It now holds at all angles. It's even lost that Skywatcher tinniness when you tap the tube. Reasonably sized galaxies at last:)

IMG_20180506_185607.thumb.jpg.4b91363a030977e4fea3c02ccc0e51ac.jpgIMG_20180506_185748.thumb.jpg.7fd4ee4ecfe0437ff6e0bb82803dc341.jpgIMG_20180506_185820.thumb.jpg.79a22c04ffd48d433baf32caa988d759.jpg

What happened your scope?!

Here's one from my dim and distant past. Circa 1985, Astro Systems (Bedford) 6 inch F/6 (David Hinds primary mirror) on a Fullerscopes Mk II equatorial built for me by Dud Fuller. Saw Halleys Comet with this one :icon_biggrin:

astrosystems6.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, John said:

Here's one from my dim and distant past. Circa 1985, Astro Systems (Bedford) 6 inch F/6 (David Hinds primary mirror) on a Fullerscopes Mk II equatorial built for me by Dud Fuller. Saw Halleys Comet with this one :icon_biggrin:

astrosystems6.jpg

Ah, the deluxe "Export" finish. ? My Mk 2 was on a pedestal with black wrinkle paint. Still got the Vixen focuser that could take the 36.4mm screw thread eye pieces. It was not solid enough to keep a 13mm Nagler type 1 steady, let alone Barlowed. 

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

.. Still got the Vixen focuser that could take the 36.4mm screw thread eye pieces. It was not solid enough to keep a 13mm Nagler type 1 steady, let alone Barlowed. 

The Vixen R&P focusers that I've used (the one above and the original on my Vixen ED102SS) were very good. They needed adjusting now and then but once done were smooth and positive even with monsters such as my 31mm Nagler. YMMV of course. Here is how to adjust them, if it's of any interest:

http://miltonhill.us/Tele/Vixen_Focuser.html

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...