Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SHOW US YOUR NEWTS........

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I'm presuming it is Craig. When I bought it yesterday I just looked at its condition, and as it was being sold for only £150, I didn't consider the F ratio. A rookie mistake really, although I'd have bought it no matter the focal length considering the price and condition. I've just measured it and it is F6 or there abouts. Very scientific! I'll measure it accurately using a comb, torch and tapemeasure in the next day or two!

Well Mike, you're clearly a reflector type of guy now.

Reflectors  2  Refractors 1

How on earth are you going to cope with those 'awful' diffraction spikes you are always talking about?  🙂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, paulastro said:

Well Mike, you're clearly a reflector type of guy now.

Reflectors  2  Refractors 1

How on earth are you going to cope with those 'awful' diffraction spikes you are always talking about?  🙂

I had first light through the clouds last night Paul. There were just a few stars showing in the north west, so I was able to check and tweak the colimation, and give the scope a trial run on the observatories tall GP.  I need to stand on a short set of steps to see the zenith, but the ease of controlling the scope in equatorial mode is so much more enjoyable than using the larger Dob. Though not nearly as smooth as the Tak the single speed Moonlight focuser has no image shift, so I'm pleased with that too. All in all I feel like I've got a good deal for only £150. It's a two vein spider so I should only have two spikes on bright objects. Didn't notice any last night but the stars weren't particularly bright. What I did notice though, was that the diffraction rings were concentric and identical either side of focus (after colimating), so no noticeable spherical aberration, indicating a good primary with no turned edge. I'm not even sure I need a finder, as last night I merely looked along the tube from the rear of the scope and got the target every time. That's coz I'm clever!  I'm still not sure of the exact focal length as I forgot to ask, but I'll measure it accurately anyway before I work out the various magnifications. 😊

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I had first light through the clouds last night Paul. There were just a few stars showing in the north west, so I was able to check and tweak the colimation, and give the scope a trial run on the observatories tall GP.  I need to stand on a short set of steps to see the zenith, but the ease of controlling the scope in equatorial mode is so much more enjoyable than using the larger Dob. Though not nearly as smooth as the Tak the single speed Moonlight focuser has no image shift, so I'm pleased with that too. All in all I feel like I've got a good deal for only £150. It's a two vein spider so I should only have two spikes on bright objects. Didn't notice any last night but the stars weren't particularly bright. What I did notice though, was that the diffraction rings were concentric and identical either side of focus (after colimating), so no noticeable spherical aberration, indicating a good primary with no turned edge. I'm not even sure I need a finder, as last night I merely looked along the tube from the rear of the scope and got the target every time. That's coz I'm clever!  I'm still not sure of the exact focal length as I forgot to ask, but I'll measure it accurately anyway before I work out the various magnifications. 😊

I'm delighted it's agood optic Mike.  It certainly looked good in the back of your car.  By the way,  I take it that Mrs Hezzlewood hasnt caught sight of it yet, otherwise you wouldn't be posting on SGL this morning 🙂

I think it will complement your Tak really well,  a bargain 👍.

PS I may have a finder you can have, I'll have a rummage and see what I have.

Edited by paulastro
Missed a bit out.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

I'm delighted it's agood optic Mike.  It certainly looked good in the back of your car.  By the way,  I take it that Mrs Hezzlewood hasnt caught sight of it yet, otherwise you wouldn't be posting on SGL this morning 🙂

I think it will complement your Tak really well,  a bargain 👍.

PS I may have a finder you can have, I'll have a rummage and see what I have.

You bet your boots she doesn't know!  She has seen the 10" though and knows it really belongs to Peter, so she probably won't notice the difference, until post pandemic, at which point I'm sure you wouldn't miss an opportunity to drop me in it.

Nearly dropped myself in it just a moment ago as I read out aloud what I'd just written. Stopped myself just as she said "what did you say"? EEK!! :BangHead:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is my newt, being diligently guarded by the head of security before he retired (to the sofa). It'll be 20 years old on 25/12/2020! Last seen by me in 2016 😭. We plan on going to the Moto Guzzi 100 year celebrations next September (subject to Covid-19 and/or the Grim Reaper), so may travel on down to rescue it after that.

IMG_2485.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

No Takahashi can see through cloud with or without diffraction spikes.

Neat trick. Regards Andrew 

Obviously it's not only the cloud here in Lancashire that's thick Andrew. I should have said "quite thick but not so much so as to completely block the view." 😂

I don't have the 8" any longer though, as I prefer the higher definition views through one of those mythical beasties that don't show diffraction spikes! 😈

5a97f5d84ca19_2017-03-1820_24_15.jpg.c643b310359613598a294d299bb0d592.jpg.78f481f3aae0928e54636dd34905ed75.jpg.

Edited by mikeDnight

22 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I don't have the 8" any longer though, as I prefer the higher definition views through one of those mythical beasties that don't show diffraction spikes! 😈

I didn't realise you had an SCT 🤼‍♂️

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 3