SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SHOW US YOUR NEWTS........

Here's my mongrel of a Newt - an OLD orion optics (UK) 8" - modded with a BC&F mirror cell and upgraded focuser (don't remember where from!). Orion finder, Vixen SP mount, and Berlebach tripod...

IMG_6987.JPG

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, John said:

Newt - Jules, Newt - Jules ...... I'm gradually getting used to the concept ! :grin:

Yes, its a strange thing, but might be rather good, part of me is tempted to upgrade parts like a dual speed crayford but its charming as it is, rather TAL like so will have to see how it goes 

All we need now is you to get a Mak     John-Mak  John-Mak  :grin:

• Like 4

Cool scope jules :) I was salivating over this scope on ABS myself. I know you've fancied an f6 for quite some time so it's great to hear you've finally scored one in style.

I've today bought an old 8" f/5 Helios Newt, so I'll add my contribution to the thread when it arrives :)  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Interesting little newt stu, heard good things about these, but as we all know, newts are the work of the devil

Yes indeed Jules. Don't trust them myself, but thought I'd give this little'un a go :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Mea culpa...Bought this at astrofest a few weeks ago, it's dangerous place!. I blagged a 1/12 wave mirror as part of the deal. Got the mount at the same time..The curse of the cumulostratus is probably down to me....

DSC_8404.JPG

DSC_8402.JPG

DSC_8401.JPG

DSC_8399.JPG

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a few moments of peace to do a few non-permanent changes to the TAL Alkor.

The standard mount unscrews very easily from the OTA, and I have replaced it with a dovetail attached via a couple of nice Munsen rings. It now sits very nicely on my Giro-WR/Gitzo with no need for a counterweight. Much easier to get at a convenient height and easier to point now I've added a Rigel finder.

Hope to be able to through its whole 65mm of aperture at the moon and Jupiter tonight :) 

EDIT The position of the rings and Rigel are somewhat dictated by the original screw holes. I've left the screws in place to avoid losing them, and used one to fix the Rigel base in place to save having to stick anything to the tube.

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

• Like 5

Just now, Moonshane said:

That's a really cute scope Stu. The Rigel shows how tiny it really is.

Thanks Chap. It's quite amazing optically, very sharp. Just tried it quickly on the moon, seeing pretty wobbly but the movement on the Giro-WR is much easier than the standard mount.