Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why do you post your images on the forum?

swag72

People can still gain much from your images, whatever your purpose? ;)

There is a lot of shared experience in visual, imaging, video astronomy.

Not everything is documented and stuff can be hard to find - Even online. 

I see a good (even not so good) image as a showcase for skill etc. of the

poster... But also a recommendation for equipment and techniques etc.

Best of all if people SHARE how / what they do on a Website Link. The

ulitimate to share back. Mine? For now, mostly a (needed!) memory aid. :p

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't yet, but hope to. Family and friends see these images and do what families do, encourage and support, but they can't really appreciate what it is you've done nor can they offer advice on improvement. That's what forums are for, so those of like minds can encourage, support, advise, and understand the work you've done. For some it's about showing off, no less valid a reason than any other. Showing off had a bad rep, but it's human nature to say "hey world, look what I can do!!!"

Interesting question Sara. I started posting images last year when I started imaging with the main motivation being to receive constructive criticism by peer review ( I'm a trained research scientist so can take it folks) but to be brutally honest I didn't receive said constructive criticism. I don't know why. I'd be surprised if many people do receive it. Yes I get the odd comment. Now, as one poster said above, I post images on my Flickr link and have had close to 400 hits already. That answers the question for me. I like to see the efforts of other much more accomplished imagers than me because I find it inspirational. I'm a DSLR imager for now and know I can improve much further and that's why I indulge in this forum.

This has made interesting reading for me and I appreciate the honesty in all of your replies. Thank you for taking the time to reply to the thread.

C'mon Sara, you can't throw down the guantlet without taking it up yourself :).

For me it's threefold :-

1) to get advice (often)

2) to inspire others (rarely)

3) Who doesn't like a bit of praise? (honest) :)

I'm a lapsed Astrophotographer these days ...

I used to be quite active but  have "retired" I was only "playing at it" seeing as I chose to use DSLR's and  "budget" scopes piggy backed on a fork mount... I think at the time  I pushed  my  modified 1000D , Megrez 72 and Tweaked CPC800 as far  as I "wanted" ...

I have chosen to invest any spare cash in  Class Glass and DSLR's which I can and do use a lot more than any high end scope  or  "proper"  CCD would ever get used in the UK...

Stuart you images with the DSLR and Astrotrac are inspirational - Carry the torch mate - carry the torch - :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut: The "dual use"  kit does a pretty darn good job on the Birds as well ;)  

Peter...

At this stage it is to share what I have done with like minded people, not too many down the local.It is also a bit of escapism as well, talking to new people who enjoy something I enjoy.

Of course I aim to improve and getting feedback from people with more experience than me has been key to my progress and nice to help others out where I can now.

It is also invaluable to see what others are imaging and i enjoy looking the work of others for ideas and inspiration.

Of course to be honest a little ego massaging if someone likes an image is always nice.

Finally made a few new friends along the way from different walks of life with the imaging being the leveller in the equation, can't knock that.

Paddy

Lots of interesting responses and my reasons are a combination of a number of peoples reasons. Before I joined the forum I was visual only and had been very happy with that for 20+ years. However, way back not long after I started out in this hobby, I had aspirations of taking photographs through my little alt az Tasco 60mm frac. I quickly realised this was not achievable. When I joined the forum I was inspired by the images I saw and gradually I came to realise that although not easy to do, I had much of the equipment needed and it was actually achievable. I also gained knowledge and understanding of how to achieve it from those creating these amazing images. I am immensely grateful for this and hope that by posting my images that:-

1) others may follow a similar path and

2) those who helped me will get pleasure from seeing my images and knowing they helped me to achievable them.

You decide.

Do I post pictures on SGL to -

A - seek blatant self-aggrandisement by basking in the adulation of my extensive worldwide following of lesser imaging mortals  

or,

B - illustrate to everyone that despite an almost unimaginable number of hours of practice and study and having spent (what is to me) a considerable sum, just how awful a picture it is possible to take?   :grin:

I'd say my usual thought process goes as follows:

1) hey everybody, look at my brilliant picture, it's the definitive image of XXX

2) grumpiness and denial at the constructive criticism I receive

3) acceptance of the points, leading to either a more sympathetic processing, or better pointers for next time in the field.

Of course it's 3) that is of benefit.

I like to see images of the same subject that I've done, so I can compare to my own efforts, and I particularly like to see images from a fellow struggler when they finally start to get it all together and start producing decent images, that always gets a 'like' from me.

I have to say that what I don't like to see though, is a clearly superior image posted into another's thread masquerading as 'advice'.  I'm afraid that unless it's demonstrating a specific point, then that often does come across as just show-offy.

At the end of the day though, why spend all those hours in the dark and cold when you should be in bed, if you're not going to showcase your work ?  It's no good just sitting on your hard drive...

I would probably post images on here if they were good or "nearly" good so that people can advise (if they want) on any improvements that can be made. 

So far anything I have taken is usually bad enough for me to already know what is needed to improve them so no need to show anything  :embarrassed: (yet  :p )

To ascertain what I am doing wrong!

That is pretty much the reason I started posting pics, not having access to a local club or any friends that are interested in astronomy and of course living somewhere that English isn't the first language I have had to be relatively self taught.

Well I suppose to be fair much of what I have picked up has come from the amazing posters here at SGL and much of that I may not have known had I not posted an image and asked what's wrong or how can I improve?

Now days it's still the same but I do like to share with others and compare because it can help not only me but others trying to do the same and without that I would not of gone as far as I had so it feels right to give a little back, I still suffer a lack of confidence with my images but realise I'm a lot further down the road than I was  a year ago.

I don't know ANYONE who is a friend in the conventional sense who does AP.  That said, almost everyone loves my meagre attempts at AP pictures I put onto Facebook etc. 

A testimony to the close virtual community on SGL that we all share each others efforts here :)  I am sure we'd all be good friends as well were we to meet physically.

I've met a few SGL members in person and like all of them :)  I have also posted my images on Facebook for my non-astro friends to see and had great remarks about them :)  Of the many people I know outside of SGL there are none actually into astronomy and though some have expressed interest only those who visit me regularly have seen my equipment.  Some people are all talk :D

I have no friends who are in to astronomy either, the good Mrs enjoys my images and makes kind remarks, but isn't interested beyond the pretty picture. My boss at work is in to astronomy & watches the Sky at Night every month, I don't think he believed me when I said I was a deep space astrophotographer until he saw my name on the TV on Sky at Night, he's now asked me for some prints, which is nice.

I don't post all or  even the majority of my images here, but I think there is no point in taking images the first place unless you let people see them, good, bad or otherwise. I posted images here in the past as I wanted to improve and knew I would get good honest feedback, I also like to have my images seen by the best out there and gauge their feedback - nothing better than "learning from the masters". But above all else it's fun :) in fact I'm going to post an image right now, my first on here for several months :)

I don't see the point in the hard work of making astro-images if no-one is going to see them.  

Who better than your peers who are actually interested and can offer constructive criticism to help you improve.  

Obviously it is nice to get compliments when you have got something half decent (a pat on the back now and then is good for any-ones soul),  though I don't believe in giving false praise as this does not help any-one to improve - but likewise criticism needs to be helpful and encouraging.   

When commenting on other people's images I take into account their equipment and how much of a learner they are and where I can I offer advice, the same as I learnt (and am still learning) from others more skilled and experienced than myself and for that I am eternally grateful.      

It is looking at other people's images and wondering what they do to get such excellent images that inspires me to find out how they do it and get better.

Carole 

There have been a couple of posts regarding no 'real friends' into astronomy and 'we'd all get on well if we met'. Well... that's exactly what the SGL Star Party (this year is SGLX) is all about. Meet the people you only know online. It's my favourite week of the year - everyone else I know 'in the real world' thinks I'm a right geek going on my geek-week, but it's ace! I learned so much just by chatting with SGLers last year.  We had a laugh too. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable few days in the company of like minded folk. Proof that we do all get on when we meet! Maybe see some of you there this year...

I'm in the happy position of getting to meet lots of imagers personally and it is a consitent pleasure. I can say that hand on heart.

Glowingturnip makes a good point here; I have to say that what I don't like to see though, is a clearly superior image posted into another's thread masquerading as 'advice'.  I'm afraid that unless it's demonstrating a specific point, then that often does come across as just show-offy.

I have to say that I'm guiltily wracking my brains to think if I've done that and I hope that I haven't. Uh-Oh. :eek:   I dare say I've posted a link from time to time but not dropped an image onto someone else's thread. I've had it done to me, though (elsewhere) and I do think it's a bit naff.

Forums have different cultures. I post on webastro in France where there are some very big hitters like J P Brahic, the solar genius, and Nicolas Outters who discovered the Squid Nebula. On this forum criticism (by which I mean constructive criticism) is robust. Black clipping, excessive noise reduction (ANY noise reduction!!), excessive colour, over sharpening, looking 'American' (which, to my astonishment includes me!) is flagged up politlely but firmly. OK, this has got up my nose on occasion but, to be fair, it has greatly influenced my imaging and I can only thank this forum for that culture. 

So there we are. Let's be more constructively critical. It's all a matter of confidence and trust.

I'd be happy to post an image which, despite my best efforts, has some considerable way to go. I'd be happy to invite you all to let rip. Maybe we could start a separate thread inviting hard core criticism of posted images?

Olly

I'm probably going to put a word in for the critics on the forum here. I don't post many pictures, probably because I'm overly critical of my own images and get frustrated I can do better, but when I do post them I've always had great advice, always constructive and when followed, I've always managed to get more out of them. 

I think everyone has a few people on the forum that they pay particular notice too, I wouldn't seem to embarrass them here but needless to say that when I see them post images, I pay particular attention to them and thank them all for doing so.

Clear skies all!

Will

I post images because I like getting advice from other astro imagers. I also feel that SGL is a forum where any imagers of any ability can post an image and they'll get great encouragement and feedback. It's good to show your images to other people who appreciate how difficult they can be to achieve.

Archived