Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why do you post your images on the forum?

swag72

Just as the title really and not a lot else to add. I'd be really interested to understand why people actually post their images on the forums? What do you get out of it? What do you hope to achieve by posting them? 

Curious and I hope that folks will say why :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy sharing my images and I love seeing other people's images, especially solar as that is my big astro love. I cannot get enough solar images, so I really appreciate the folks who post those images and I also owe so much to those who inspired me with images that showed me how cool the sun is! And if you are looking to get into a particular area of imaging it helps a lot to see what images are created with what gear.

The most frequent reason is to seek help and advice on how to solve problems and make an image look half decent.

Once I think I have completed an image it goes on here to seek confirmation that it is now half decent.

If it is deemed half decent, or sometimes better, I hope that people enjoy the image and the extreme beauty of the heavens above us.

I love seeing everybody else's images as they give a glimpse of amazing things and the remarkable techniques to acheive the images.

And you?

Also, what good is a piece of art (which is what it partly is), if it only hangs on your bedroom wall? (metaphorically) ;)

It would be like a musician never letting anyone else hear the songs they've written.

I like to see images from others so I know what is possible, where im going wrong, what im doing right - and to learn and spread knowledge.

Mainly to let the poor so 'n' so's that are cloud-ridden for most of the year that there is still a Sun up there ...  :p

I cannot see a difference between posting images directly on the forum or posting a link to a 'flikr' account or personal website gallery , it amounts to he same thing in my eye but saves a click or two ...  :rolleyes:

Those that are interested in seeing other peoples efforts get to see them , those that aren't interested don't look at the imaging forums .

Personally I love seeing the work of others , happy to nick an idea if it will help me and happy to offer up advice if asked for to help someone else.

Personally, I like to see people's astronomy images whether they are showing off :D , seeking advice or it's their first image; especially when similar cheapo kit to mine is used.

The stuff I have attempted so far is of too bad a quality to post on this forum, so it's inspiring and educational to see what others have done, especially knowing the effort and time it takes to produce a good image.

I would like to say I post up my sketches, so as to inspire others to do the same; to slow down and record what is being viewed. As a result, I feel sketching helps develop calm and patience while strengthening concentration, memory and observing skills and enabling one to see finer details in the subtle whisperings of the cosmic objects viewed.  

I would have liked to say that by posting up the images, I am providing a record of what can possibly be seen with similar gear. The sketch helps ground expectations whilst avoiding possible disappointment, for although photos help bring out beauty and detail, they do not adequately record what is actually observed at the eyepiece.

I would have also liked to say that by posting up my rubbishy, non-skilled sketches, I am offering the chance for others to follow suit. That everyone can do it and that it doesn't require an enormous outlay or expense, just a bit of paper, a pencil and a few other inexpensive items.

I would have liked to have said all this, Sara but the real reason why I post up my sketches is based purely on vanity, pure vanity :p:grin:

I guess I like showing off but also get advice on how to improve.  I love to see other people's images too.  The beauty that is out there to be captured is amazing and I love it :) 

I think it's a pity if anyone feels their attempts are not fit to post - my early images were seriously bad but by posting your efforts you can get advice on how to improve your techniques.  So let's see your efforts, don't be shy, we all started at the bottom and dragged ourselves up to better things.  I have had loads of advice on here from other members and I much appreciate it.  In return I believe I have helped others.  That is what SGL is about :)

I never used to post bird images online however when bumping into fellow birders they wanted to see what I was up to and I wanted to see what they were up to...so I started posting them online. I have subsequently met loads of people both online and in the field and got lots of advice.

Same with astro images. There will always be people who will post images that aren't as good as yours, some that are equal and some that are better. For the ones that could be improved, hopefully mine are an inspiration for them and I can offer some advice, and for those better than mine, for them to offer advice on how to improve mine.

These days I can't see the point of keeping all the hard work to yourself like I used to. If I hadn't posted images here and got advice my imaging most likely wouldn't have improved, which hopefully it has over time. 

Initially I wanted to show people like myself with various lenses, tripods and cameras that they can get into astrophotography relatively cheaply because they have already got a lot of the kit necessary. Not to show off, but to show that they have some kit that isn't being used during the night time that can take their photography in a total different direction. I am still amazed that we can all produce images like we do with kit that is accessible to us and not needing access to the Hubble Space Telescope.

However forums tend to become quite cliquey, even the polite, friendly ones so it isn't always roses. I tend to ignore those people, they know who they are. Don't let that get you down. Your images are an inspiration for many (way beyond my capabilities at this point), doesn't mean I don't enjoy them and some day hope to achieve similar results.

This is actually a very good place to post astronomy related images. There's an audience here who take an interest in just those images.

I'm happy that people post them and I like to leave a comment to every image I view.

This is actually a very good place to post astronomy related images. 

I totally concur with this, when I used to use Facebook (hard deleted the account now) there were a few friends who posted up some great astro images and they would appear on my timeline whenever Facebook deemed it necessary. :mad:

Trouble is, when the images reached my timeline, they got lost in the mix with all the inane stuff going on...SGL is a fantastic distraction-free platform in which to showcase work.

As an observer I like to see the astrophotographer's pictures on here as I don't see much in the way of colour or the finer detail through my eyepiece.

Sometimes the pictures on here help me to recognise what I've been looking at & make a positive identification.

One example - 7 Sisters, realised I could see some of the nebula in the background & it was not dew or fog on my equipment.

Bring on the pictures; your early ones are most welcome.

For most I imagine it is so others can enjoy them. I certainly get a lot of pleasure out of seeing images I couldn't come close to achieving with my level of expertise and equipment. Maybe someday. In the meantime I get inspiration to keep plugging away.

And simply because they are beautiful.

It's an honest question and deserves an honest answer. I initially began posting because I needed to learn how to do it! The learning took the form of asking for advice and critique and of looking at how others were going about it. I can tell you I kept a sharp eye on anything by RobH at the time because he was (and still is) an inspiration. Tim, Mike Duggan and Steve Loughran also lit my passage regularly in those days, as did others.

Later an element of satisfaction came into it, sharing what I felt was a piece of work done to the best of my ability. Is this showing off? Maybe a bit, but it would be a shame if fear of showing off put a stop to theatre, concerts, sports, art galleries and demonstrations of skill of so many kinds. I would rather see the posting of images as some kind of celebration, really.

And, yes, since I run the business that I do it is important for me to maintain some kind of public profile in astrophotography but I have discussed this carefully with Admin and stick scrupulously to the rules. If I retire (a big if!) I will continue to post images if I'm still at it. I suspect that the LP is awful in most nursing homes, though, so I'll doubtless have to pick your brains on narrowband, Sara.  Nurse, Mr Penrice has shot three lots of SII again and dropped his Ha filter in his Horlicks. He's trying to get it out with his laser collimator...

And that's as honest as I can make it.

Olly

PS, I'm minded of a lovely phrase of Graham Hill's when asked why he risked his life driving racing cars. He said it was for the occasional satisfaction of getting a corner just perfect and thinking 'Beat that you beggers!'  This doesn't describe my own motivation other than to a very tiny extent but I don't see anything wrong with it in a spirit of fun. Note, Grahalm Hill's version of the phrase differed by one vowel but he didn't have to dodge round the chicane of a word filter at the time.  :grin:

For me mountaineering might present a better analogy. The perfect astrophoto of the most beautiful object in nature is waiting to be taken, just as a mountain is waiting to be climbed.

I am usually not happy with my imaging results (is anyone) but sometimes post anyway and if someone else likes them it gives some encouragement to carry on. Sometimes your images are better than you think they are.

Peter

Yes, honestly, I am often happy with mine though I do know where they need improving. But most of the credit goes to nature for making the object, after all!

Olly

Some excellent thoughts and answers to the question. I hope this inspires you to post your images on here again Sara. Your photo silence is a shame as your images are largely responsible for me losing hours and hours of my life to my dark and cold garden, inspired to try and emulate the beautiful images I was seeing on here. Your Crescent Nebula was a turning point for my desire to do all of this to the absolute best of my ability and bank account! I keep an eye on your website and the new images you are making with the RC 8" would give people a treat on here!

Clear skies all, we might just be in for a period of clear and cold nights over the next few days - fingers crossed.

As for vanity and the words of Graham Hill - I'm embarrassed to admit that that rings rather true at times!

A further thought is the satisfaction that comes from helping a fellow imager with a nugget of advice to improve their image or answer their question. Keep posting your images. Remember, it's the mistakes that lead to learning and improvement, so never ever be ashamed to post an image, the worse it is, the more useful it will end up being!

Archived