SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

Went out a bit later tonight 8.45 so Lovejoy would be higher, it was even better

than last night, once I had located it, it was just visible naked eye, being higher 

definitely helped, bit of a strain on the neck though, it's still looking big and bright.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been observing with the binos over a number of hours this evening and the movement against the background stars is quite obvious. Tonight it was positioned near a line of four stars making the movement easier to detect. Great to see.

5284ba153d8e915c5b207a4ee12e4612.jpg

8eaaee8ec88185bcca026ef246da8a73.jpg

87eaf652f841e2d36176ff3f601e3e9c.jpg

Stu, I think I have asked you this before but what app is that you are using to capture those screen shots?

The app is SkySafari 4 Pro on iOS. To capture a screen shot, you hold the power button down then quickly press the main control button of the iPhone (the round one at the bottom!). This stores a shot in your camera roll and is very handy

I spotted it by naked eye again last night maybe a bit easier than Saturday night. Had to star hop to find the exact spot then use averted vision but it was certainly visible.

High in the west is my best sky direction. I'm less than 2 miles from the coast so the sky glow from the Fylde coast conurbation is less that way.

To the south the sky is so bright that even M42 wasn't particularly obvious. 

I have been observing the comet for the last few days, whenever the weather allowed. Last night was the first night I took the larger SW200P out. Lovejoy showed as a lovely fuzzy ball in the low-powered eyepieces, with the nuleus quite visible at 40X. However the 32mm eyepiece was a disappointment, it misted up way too fast to be of any use.

I'm having to dodge clouds here this evening but I've managed to get Lovejoy in the ED120 refractor with the 20mm Myriad 100 degree eyepiece and it's still looking good :smiley:

This is the first night when I can see a clear tail. It's extending to the west of the comet and I can make it out for around 1/3rd of the way across the FoV of the eyepiece so thats around .75 of a degree.

Lovejoy is turning out to be one of the best comets I've observed I think. Certainly not the let down that many have been over the years :smiley:

Went to bottom of driveway once clouds cleared and no joy doesn't clear the neighbours roof

If it's any consolation, it's been cloudy here from around 10 mins after I posted my report above. Silly hobby ! :rolleyes2:

Just been out for a look with my 10 x 50 bins. The tail is now pretty obvious as it trails away from the core. It's quite extensive when averted vision is used. The core is also easy to pick out with the naked eye. This is proving to be a great comet and, for once, it's not pne you have to try to grab a glimpse of just after sunset or be up very early for.

I drove out into the countryside to find a decent southeast horizon on Sunday night. watching Venus and Mercury setting was beautiful, closely followed by Mars and Neptune. Also got some nice views of Lovejoy under darkish skies it is still glowing strongly, i did think a few days back it had started to dim slightly, but i think that was just the conditions.

I used handheld Helios Apollo 15x70's tonight.Mostly clear,some whispy high stuff,quit still and frosty.For the first time I'm almost certain that I could see the tail! To make sure,I moved to a slightly darker site than my initial viewing spot,made sure my eyes were dark adapted,and used averted vision.Importantly,I tried to be as objective as possible- I've seen quite a few photos of Lovejoy now that might influence my thoughts on what I can or can't see,but, YES ,there's almost certainly something there! PS- I must add that I have used the excellent charts provided by Steve Tonkin on the Binocular Sky website throughout.Thanks Steve!

At x50 in a 10" Dob the bright core and halo really filled the fov. Moving the scope around showed this to be very one sided with more vertical in view between the stars. Still no obvious signs of a tail , but very worthwhile a look,

Nick.

Hi Nick. I hear it's moving away now so should I stay up late tonight with my 12" Dob as it's clear after 11pm?

Hi Nick. I hear it's moving away now so should I stay up late tonight with my 12" Dob as it's clear after 11pm?

Yes. I went out last night at about 11pm and just took out the binos and was amazed at how clear the sky was - a quick look at Perseus provided a carpet of diamonds. :) Lovejoy was easily spotted using Hamal in Aries as my start point and then moving up.

Got it in the Dob last night. A fine view despite some dew problems and misty skies. Still no sign of tail though. I convinced myself that I could see something at one point but afterwards I checked some of the excellent photos on this forum and I was 180 degrees out! Averted imagination strikes again. 

I checked some of the excellent photos on this forum and I was 180 degrees out!

Wouldn't that just be explained by the fact you are looking at it through a Dob and the imagers are using Refractors and poetic license processing tools?

Archived