Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

Just managed to spot it half an hour ago before the clouds rolled in.

I used my 15x70 bins and it appeared as a grey diffuse blob with a hint of green.

The moon was washing out a lot of detail but still very happy to have seen it for the second time this year.

The weather hasn't been conducive to stargazing for a while now.

Avtar

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still very bright despite the moon. I had a look at M31 (could only see the core) and Lovejoy seemed brighter than that.  All the cloud coming and going so quickly at the moment makes me appreciate my bins.

Forecast was correct except timing was slightly off - from clear skies to huge snowflakes  almost instantly  :eek:   I moved to get roof on pretty quickly, but still quite a lot of snow on everything!  Dehumidifier and dewstraps going to be on all night to dry things off.  By the time I'd turned everything off and locked up it was clear again :rolleyes: , but with snow covered ground.

Time for a warming bath and bed I think - its cold out there!!

But happy with the session anyway  :grin:

Helen

Q2 is going past Gamma Andromedae now and still big and bright.

Sky too bright for much detail but the false nucleus/coma and halo are as extensive as ever, not too much

evidence of quieting down just yet.

Mick.

That's a great sketch! I will pop up to the roof of my building tonight and check it early before the moon gets too intrusive.

It's been nearly two weeks since I last checked it and from what I gather the tail is easier to see as of late?

It's going to be a bit of a struggle observing the chosen one tonight I can see....

Nice and clear out the back, but the cats were going mad trying to get out (when we have to keep them in tonight)

so I locked them in the kitchen and went out the front..............  Ribbons of cloud now across the whole sky with tiny

little gaps!

I wonder where amateur Astronomers stand in the National Tables for Blood-pressure related problems.

Mick

Lovejoy Q2 is just about overhead here at the current time. It's still looking rather splendid and is in the same field of view at low power as the orange / gold star Almach or Almaak (Gamma Andromeda) which is itself a fine double star. Nice start to the evening :smiley:

Very blowy and cold here though - it's going to be a " keep popping in for a warm up" sort of evening !

Just done 20 RAWS of it now started it at the edge of the DSLR frame and taking one pic every ten minutes but can't really detect any movement across the frame ATM probably be daylight before it crosses the frame :) using 200mm. can make out the tail in single subs.

Just messing about giving the SW S Adventurer its first proper try out.

Just been out to take another shot and high cloud coming over so may all end shortly  :grin:

Dave

Archived