Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My have a go at it then, looks like it will fit nicely in 300mm, keep saying I'm not taking any more pic's of it then get suckered into one last go  :grin:

Did some last night but haven't had time to process them yet.

Dave

I'm not happy. I have just spent seven nights at home for the first time in four years and it has been thick cloud every night. My new 10" Newt hasn't seen first light yet.

This evening I walked out to the car to go and catch a train back to work just as the clouds started to part.

This is a conspiracy :sad:

Tonight was my first sighting in 3 weeks.

Cloudless here but had the usually orange glow the grows with intensity with decreasing altitude so Q2 was a bit washed out in the 10 x 50's

I couldn't make out many guidepost stars with the naked eye but picked up gamma Andromedae  and then just traced a rough projection through to Cassiopeia and got it first sweep. I didn't expect to find it so easy in my home sky now.

What a great little binocular comet  this one became! :)

picked up gamma Andromedae  and then just traced a rough projection through to Cassiopeia and got it first sweep

Wow! It has moved on since I last saw it sitting just under the blunt end of the Triangulum!

Hopefully I will get another a look at it this weekend.

Wow! It has moved on since I last saw it sitting just under the blunt end of the Triangulum!

Hopefully I will get another a look at it this weekend.

Don't panic!

It's not out of Andromeda yet, It's going to make a very brief visit to the western extremity of Perseus and then into Cass. Slowing down greatly now.

But presumably "slowing down" means "speeding directly away from us" so it will now start to dim rapidly as its distance from the Sun and us increases?

Does anyone know when it becomes too dim to observe?

But presumably "slowing down" means "speeding directly away from us" so it will now start to dim rapidly as its distance from the Sun and us increases?

Does anyone know when it becomes too dim to observe?

http://theskylive.com/c2014q2-info if you put your mouse over the light curve chart it shows eg mag 10 at the end of April so I guess it depends on conditions and aperture.

Just Now it is trying to occult a mag 7 star that is in the halo at it's head.

Should be a good marker as to how fast it is moving laterally Now.

I'll keep coming back to it tonight and see how she blows

Mick

20:30 Q2 is along-side Phi-Persei just Now, still looking extensive with a hint of a tail stub pointing slightly to the left of Phi. 

It is about half a 20mm lens F.O.V. away from being in the same F.O.V as M76 now, and may be there before dawn.

Unfortunately I have to go to Bo'bies early as I am up early with work tomorrow. I'll probably catch them straight after dark

tomorrow if the sky helps out.

Good luck all, It'll make a stunning photo for someone.

Regards, Mick.

Well, since I started this thread back in December Comet Lovejoy Q2 has become like an old friend and we are going to miss him when he's gone.

I love these relatively long lasting comets that move through dark skies and can therefore be seen by so many people with various types of equipment, or even none at all.

Any tail has been a bit elusive visually but has been a beautiful sight in images. But a fuzzy ball is just as interesting I think as it passes various objects and is seen in different locations. In that respect it's been very like Jacques from last year. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the reports and various different experiences.

I think we can agree that it's been a good comet and it's not over yet. Originally it seems that it would be visible throughout January but now we are well on in February and it's still going strong.

Roll on the next one.

weeeeeeell,

The Rainclouds have moved Eastwards and left behind a thick hazy sky with sheets of thin cloud moving across but I thought

it might reward me to get out there and look at Q2 before the showers start rolling across.

In the 15 by 70s the Comet was amorphous and dim at first, though the sky got a little better. It was sitting to the M76 side that companion to Phi Persei that generally marks "M76-Star hop complete" so I got out the newt as quick as my little legs would carry it.

In the 20mm lens  (x50) The Comet and Little Dumbell Nebula shared the same field, and indeed only took up about 2/3 of it.

The comet looked a bit more diffuse tonight, and the Nebula was not at its best as I say the sky is pants, but still a lovely thing to see.

In my 10mm Plossl, (x100)  They were still visible in the same FOV, though the Nebula was right at one edge which hardly "ramps up the detail, and contrast"

and the Comet had lost a part of its halo to the edge of the Field.

Back to 20mm, and I just stared for a while, thinking of the contrasting sizes and distances and the sheer enormity of it all.

Mighty glad I got my back-side out there, but then I dont remember a time when I actually wished I had'nt, specially with a Comet swishing past.

Hope the skies clear for you to get at least a peek

Regards,  Mick

Archived