Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely clear skies here too at the moment, but bitterly cold wind!

Very nice views in the 106/21 Ethos with Almach sharing the view. Comet and a lovely double together, can't be bad [emoji3]

The tail was not really visible, but whenever I try to estimate which direction it is in, I'm always right so it must be detectable.

I could not be sure about the tail direction with the 102mm Vixen I'm using tonight Stu. There were hints when I used averted vision but nothing definite. It does make a really nice pairing with Almach though :smiley:

I keep popping in to watch some rugby and now a documentary on Genesis (the band) has started too, as another distraction :rolleyes2:

I'm multi-tasking - doing a number of things not very well !!! :grin:

Good view tonight. The comet was very close to a star and I could detect movement over an hour or two. I am (almost ) sure I could detect a tail but, as usual, perhaps not. Tail or no tail it's been good to follow such a long - lasting comet. Alas 100% cloud now but good while it lasted

It looked great with my 12" dob earlier tonight. Clear indications of a tail still streaming away from the head. Averted vision enhanced that. It's still just about naked eye visible when you know where to look. It was positioned virtually at the zenith when I observed it which helps with naked eye visiibility.

12" Dob view last night was stunning. It's naked eye from here easily found in Andromeda right next to a beautiful deep orange star HD11969. My neighbour brought her 8x32 nocs and it was easily picked out as a green fuzz with a very long tail, we'll beyond the FOV. This is the first night I remember being able to see the Milky Way horizon to horizon. usually my NW horizon is too polluted. is Harrogate Borough Council's ongoing programme of LP containment really working? Jupiter however was very dissappointing, far too much turbulence.

I must try my 102 EDT on it to see what a wider view reveals.

Am jealous of both of your skies. No chance of naked eye from here. Had some nice views of it through the Vixen last night, but no sign of the tail unfortunately.

Jupiter looked lovely though, some real nice detail visible even though the GRS was not visible, and no transits.

There is much to dislike in this imge as I have lost the tail, but for once I have actually managed to process a flater background and the stars look stronger. Paintshop Pro based processing. I am looking forward to my light poluution filter coming but FLO haven't shipped it yet.

I will later on today hope to try a process again but aim to keep the tail.

post-28282-0-22409700-1423581435_thumb.p

I observed it in the 15 x 70s last night, too misty at ground level for more mag than that.

It's holding it's brightness and shape well.  Up where it is now the sky will show it down to quite low brightness,

and Kerry's thread will probably be the longest in recorded History.

All hail Comet Q-tee.

Lovejoy Q2 is not far from the planetary nebula M76 tonight. Looks rather lovely against a "busy" star field at the moment :smiley:

Hints of a tail still traling off across the FoV @ 50x with my 12" dob. Nice :grin:

Archived