SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

I'm enjoying the Lovejoy ride while it lasts. Looked at it last evening through my 127 and it was still brighter than M31 (at least apparently, because it's actually supposed to be a 6th magnitude object now). Can't make out a tail (or tails), but the ghostly green coma is unmistakable and looks beautiful against the backdrop of the Milky Way in Perseus.

Cheers,

Reggie

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another coming potenitally just got this from www.spaceweather.com email.

'Astronomers are scratching their heads over an unusual comet that is passing by the sun. The icy visitor to the inner solar system does not belong to any known family of sungrazing comets, and it appeared to be doomed as it made its plunge toward the sun on Feb. 19th. Instead of disintegrating, however, the comet has emerged apparently intact, and could become a target for telescopes on Earth when it emerges from the sun's glare in the weeks ahead. Images and updates may be found on http://spaceweather.com.'

Download it into Stellarium, I've found it very accurate.

Dave

I'm on a Mac and can't get that to work. If someone could post a screenshot of where it will be tomorrow it would be much appreciated.

Did you have it working before upgrading to Yosemite ? I'm on 10.9.5 late 2012 MBP, a lot of complaints on Mac forums of stuff not working after upgrading to 10.10.2, don't remember anything specific to Stellarium though.

Dave

It's moving well clear of Phi Persei now, still equal or slightly brighter than M31 but it is dimming very slightly,

and at this current rate Q2 Should be crossing into Casseopia by Late tomorrow eve.

The halo definately seem smaller;   Decline in activity or as a function of increasing distance?

It's taking It's own good time though so we should get some weeks at Bino Mag yet before we need the big guns

just to find it.

I had a quick look through the 10" Newt last night. Easy enough to find but the seeing in my area was rubbish despite it looking like a very clear night. It actually looks bigger than the last time I saw it and the green hue of the comma was very obvious but no sign of a tail.

Caught it last night, very near the Cass Border now.

There was a Mag 9.5 star just behind the leading edge of the Coma and when I put the 10mm lens to it

a couple of fainter stars were shining through it as well.

It seems to be about Mag 5.8 to 6 Now, with the halo still quite extensive and appears to be slowly changing into

that stubby delta-shape (Broader on the trailling side) that 2p Enke does so well, but the small false Nucleus

is now tiny, almost point-like in the middle of it, though remaining pretty bright.

I'm waiting for the night now, as after guaging it's trajectory i think that by darnkness it will be very close to at least

1 bright star, and would like to see what That looks like shining through it.

pip pip    Mick

I

Boy it was cold though, yes agree easy to find but much dinner now and in the preview images with a 55mm lens the green is definately weaker now.

I wanted to swap to my 135mm lens but just too cold to work my hands to swap lens and filter over.

In between my views of Jupiter last night I spent a bit of time looking at Comet Lovejoy; as already noted, not as bright now, but still enough there to be of interest...I used a 102ED Frac + 13mm with a mag of 55x  :smiley:

Last nights effort, 20 x 30secs, 60Da, Canon 300mm, SW Star Adventurer, only did 30sec subs so I could leave the camera to it without laptop, note to self

must get intervalometer :)

Dave

post-21198-0-01468800-1425382419_thumb.j

This is last night's capture, 21 lights, 5 darks, 20 bias and 25 flats. 30 secodns Iso 800.

I am getting more understanding on processing and keeping the tail. If I could only get PSP to grow the star blobs it would be better, I might see if I can somehow use the mask I created in StarTools in PSP.

That is hedge on the left and the double cluster on the right. SP is just not pulling the comet green out.

I might try and re process my earlier data and will do this one again I think though is the brown just bad noise or is it milkyway?

I over processed this one I think so will have another go later anyway.

post-28282-0-46281000-1425390491.png

Archived