Hello from Coastal Georgia USA!

RobertNashville

Hello all! I just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself!

Although my home is in the Middle Tennessee area not far from Nashville; I'm currently working on an assignment in the Savannah, GA area although I'm not a native of either location!  in fact, I'm and damn Yankee (meaning, for those who don't know, I'm a Yankee that moved here to stay). smile.png I moved here from Ohio where I grew up although with stints in several states including Illinois, South Carolina, and Washington and many ports overseas (U.S. Navy).

My first exposure to astronomy was as a kid in the early 60's when I talked my dad into buying me a very used reflector that wasn't much but it allowed me to see the moon and a few planets. I was also into model rocketry at the time as well. I got my first taste of a "real" telescope as a Freshman in high school. One of my classes was "Earth Science" and a teacher that was, well, just one of those you can't forget. The school had a nice (10 or maybe 12") Celestron that I'm sure at the time, was a significant hunk of change for the school system. That was the '69-'70 school year and as some of you may remember, there was total solar eclipse over a good part of North America in March of 1970 - my teacher, his son, myself and another boy traveled from Ohio to North Carolina in a VW wagon so that we would be in the event path; camping out the night before.

Anyway, while I never lost interest (I kept my subscription to Sky & Telescope going for several years) life got in the way and thoughts of building a backyard observatory and making great discoveries were replaced by military service and exotic ports of call; learning how to work on what was then fairly sophisticated radar and missile guidance systems.

An honorable discharge almost a decade later, a few degrees and an career in accounting/finance/financial modeling using the "new" personal computer at a time when most accounting was done with 13 column pads and mainframe systems filled in the intervening years. Although I've "retired" from two major corporations I still work full-time.

About a year ago I purchased an Orion 10" Dob and I'm just now getting ready to purchase a Celestron cat (a 9.25" OTA with the EdgeHD optics and Celestron's new CGEM DX mount/tripod).

I'm looking forward to learning and making some friends here!

Bob A

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now a Yankee in Ga or Tn is generally in danger.

I recall a comment made while visiting the Chattanooga caves on July 4th one year. Being English didn't matter, being a **** Yankee did. :grin: :grin:

Have you tried Stone Mountain Park, Atlanta, on July 4th?

They will not sing the US anthem, they sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Have to say Savannah was one of the "oddest" places I have visited.

Now a Yankee in Ga or Tn is generally in danger.

I recall a comment made while visiting the Chattanooga caves on July 4th one year. Being English didn't matter, being a **** Yankee did. :grin: :grin:

Have you tried Stone Mountain Park, Atlanta, on July 4th?

They will not sing the US anthem, they sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Have to say Savannah was one of the "oddest" places I have visited.

Savannah has been good for me although I do look forward to a return to Tennessee...haven't been to Stone Mountain Park but then usually when I'm near Atlanta I'm just passing through on my way to Nashville. :)

I was in Atlanta for about 4 months, Boca Raton several times and just outside San Francisco for about 6 weeks.

Main memory was the weird weather in Atlanta and the visits to Bass Pro Shop.

I went to Savannah for a days fishing.

Archived