Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

Hi guys,

having fallen in love with my 130pds, and seeing that I'm not the only one recently, I was thinking it would be nice if we posted our images made with a 130pds here.

It gives a nice reference point as well, as to what could be achievable (with better guiding, better camera, better weather...).

Well, here goes:

• Like 5

All images have been made with a Canon450D (unmodded), on a HEQ5 PRO goto, 9x50 finder guider (QHY5).

Me and my garden gnome:

get.jpg

several M51 crops:

get.jpg

get.jpg

get.jpg

M97 & 108:

get.jpg

M81 & M82 (& NGC3077):

get.jpg

M81 & M82 pre-SN:

get.jpg

few M74 crops:

get.jpg

get.jpg

dragon fly cluster:

get.jpg

and M33 crops:

get.jpg

get.jpg

Edited by Russe
  • Like 36

This it seems to me is the new entry level imagers scope. The ed80 may be easier to use but the cost of this makes it such a cheap way to start imaging.

• Like 6

I use the 130PDS most sessions now, unless there is a need for something with a larger focal length.  

get.jpg

M42 

get.jpg

Eagle Nebula

get.jpg

Flaming Star Nebula

Cheers

Ross

• Like 24

Glad to see I made the right choice of first imaging scope, can't wait for my 450d now:)

Some great images so far, hope I can add some to this thread soon.

• Like 1

some really amazing pics in here! breathtaking from this little 130-pds :) ive not got a guiding setup yet, but only need 2 more pieces to the puzzle to be able to guide so hopefully not long,

12701312405_d6381552a4_c.jpg
12772962445_c75f7a1325_c.jpg
12772568275_ec82482a55_c.jpg
12701250484_6e7e702e56_c.jpg
Venus.....not an out of focus moon lol
12858761093_e9b70e1670.jpg
12873252494_a1e76194d0.jpg
my very first imaged galaxy from saturday night! :)
  • Like 16

How big was the difference between the full spectrum modded Canon and the Atik 383L?

This is the one I've been thinking about. Or the QHY8... (but it's not mono...).

Put it this way, the 383 would de-bag a DSLR and spank its bottom any day of the week :D

383 mono also beats the QHY8, in both broadband and narrowband. But, its a heavy camera so your focuser needs to be up to the job.

• Like 5

It is good you started this thread Russe because for many the 130pds is an undiscovered gem.

We often hear how for 'real' astrophotography you need an expensive APO triplet but the images posted here clearly show that is not the case  :icon_salut:

Steve 

• Like 8

Not great pics from me, but this is what i got so far since beginning with AP in august this year. No guiding and maximum time of expousures 30 sek.

LeoTriple_zps71afe5d1.jpg

M_81_M_82_Feb_2014_zpsbed40454.jpg

M_51_19_02_14_zps0679e356.jpg

M82SN2014J_zps6e4e1236.jpg

HH1702_zps8ad9f76d.jpg

m421702siste_zps4ec9349e.jpg

Nyttaringr_zpsc7300ad5.jpg

Julekort_zps06e19a8c.jpg

• Like 27

Can't edit my previous post but here is the equipment used. All pics taken with a Canon EOS 550D, SW 130PDS an an EQ 5 with synscan. PA alignment trough "feeling" as the polarscopes i ordered dont fit in the EQ5. No guiding yet but very soon as i have the equipment (except a proper polarscope)

• Like 3

At this rate, I think Skywatcher will owe us commission for pushing up 130pds sales :)

• Like 8

As a non newt owner i am very impressed it does seem the ideal balance between aperature and trackability wonderful stuff i must get one.

Alan

• Like 1

Can't edit my previous post but here is the equipment used. All pics taken with a Canon EOS 550D, SW 130PDS an an EQ 5 with synscan. PA alignment trough "feeling" as the polarscopes i ordered dont fit in the EQ5. No guiding yet but very soon as i have the equipment (except a proper polarscope)

really amazing pics henry! for 30 sec subs!!! ohhhh i got to try the leo triplet :)

is everyone using the coma corrector?

Edited by tingting44
  • Like 1

I have both the Baader MPCC correctors (MkII, MkIII) plus the Skywatcher 0.9x.

For getting good corners on a big chip, the MkIII is the winner. But if your chip is a 2/3 size CCD, the SWCC is a good choice.

• Like 2

Ok here goes, tonights M81 M82. 140 30 second subs with flats darks and bias. Not a patch on the excellent images displayed above but hey ho.

post-21095-0-69010400-1394507543_thumb.j

• Like 12

Got another one.

Full moon with a Canon 450D. 50 frames stacked at ISO400. Didn't use darks/flats/bias...

get.jpg

• Like 4

Got another one.

Full moon with a Canon 450D. 50 frames stacked at ISO400. Didn't use darks/flats/bias...

get.jpg

some cracking results... makes the 130 look very attractive, a much cheaper all rounder compared to the 80ed too.   Russe, is this moon not really a sw127 mak?  a great sharp shot all the same!

• Like 1

wow, not sure what happened with the font size :)

some cracking results... makes the 130 look very attractive, a much cheaper all rounder compared to the 80ed too.   Russe, is this moon not really a sw127 mak?  a great sharp shot all the same!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By moise212
      Hello all!
      The weekend that just passed we went to my girlfriend's parents. The skies in that rural area are pretty much as good as you can get. I don't have an SQM reader, but Clear Outside estimates 21.91.
      I didn't take the EQ6R with me, I still consider it a big lump of iron, and the AZ-EQ5 should be on its way back this week as a Stellar mount. So I used the EQ5 which was left in the car for a while. While the tracking/guiding on the RA axis is quite good, the DEC control jumps a lot after multiple consecutive guiding commands, I blame the "enhanced" handset.
      So with all the drawbacks, I tried to do align the mount as good as I could and I put the 72ED with the ASI1600 on it and a finder-guider.
      Perhaps also focus could have been done a bit better, FWHM in the subs was 3.x.
      Below is a quick process from last night, no deconvolution yet and a purple area at the bottom that I have to fix. 58x120s lum, 30x120s each RGB.

• By Owmuchonomy
      After a couple of weeks of testing and visual play here is the very first image taken through my SW Evostar ED150.  As you may imagine the visual experience is marvellous. The image was taken in the early hours of the 1st October along the terminator.  The field of view ranges from the North polar area as far south as crater Eratosthenes.  The second image is just me doing a crop because I prefer the framing of Mare Imbrium and crater Plato in the North.  I need to experiment with the camera settings somewhat but I am very happy with the performance of both scope and camera.
      Thanks to @FLO for the M56 Baader Click-Lock to test.
      Camera: ASI290MM at f/8.  Captured with OAcapture by @JamesF

Crop:

• By Owmuchonomy
      The new SW Evostar ED150 is really getting some use here after my initial tests.  We are having a good run of clear skies.  This morning I got up at 3:30 am to do a lunar imaging run (see elsewhere). After that I quickly set up on M42 as it was near the local meridian.  Using my ES 4.7mm 82' EP (255x) I concentrated on the Trapezium first.  I was staggered by the view not only because of the detail under the Moon but because all 6 stars (A to F) were clearly visible immediately and pin sharp sitting in a greenish mist.  Here is my really quite poor chalk sketch of the approximate view hastily drawn on my obsy blackboard wall (ignore the screws in the ply):

Checking with the detailed Whitepeak Observatory graphic the stars I believe in clockwise order are from the top right: B, D, F, C, A, E.  I have often tried to view the 6 stars before with my SCT 9.25" but this scope revealed them with ease.
      Star C (Theta-1 C Orionis) is described in the same graphic as an Extreme star: 40 Solar Masses; Surface temp 40,000K, the hottest known <6mag star; 210,000x sun's luminosity and an O6 spectral type.
      I then swapped to my 2" 24mm ES 82' EP to view M42 but that view was swamped somewhat by moonlight so I will have to wait a while to try that.

• By Owmuchonomy
      Rather than add this test to my original thread regarding the scope findings I started a new thread here to describe my findings and measurements using a Baader M56 Click-Lock.  Unlike other SW ED Pro offerings, the focuser unit that is supplied with the new SW ED 150 has no provision for rotation during use.  In addition, I noticed that despite there being a total of 142mm of travel in the draw tube, the majority of my EPs focus at the near end of travel and I was concerned there may be a lack of in-focus provision.
      I contacted @FLO and asked them for technical details of the Baader M56 Click-Lock particularly the loss of in-focus during use. (I have previously owned a similar device for use with a 9.25" SCT which adds ease of use, a rotation facility and superb security to all attachments).  FLO very kindly reciprocated and provided one for testing.  Here I present some results of that test.
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html

Essentially, use of the Click-Lock with EPs (+/- a TV Powermate) results in a loss of 12.5mm of in-focus.  For the EPs tested here that was not an issue.  The stock SW focuser comes with a 2"adapter with two grip screws and a locking ring.  Please note that removal of the locking ring when using the Click-Lock does not assist with reducing loss of in-focus since the Click-Lock internal flange sets before reaching the locking ring.
      You can see that my ES 14mm EP inserted into the 2X Powermate was the only combination that did not reach focus (it almost did but not quite). The 2X is a 2" Powermate and I had to use the 1.25" insert which adds about 8mm of depth. the Powermate also does not seat fully in my WO diagonal.
      I also tested two planetary cameras (+/- 2" TV Powermate) which focused well within the full range of the draw tube extension maximum which is 142mm.  Use of the Click-Lock provides a very secure and flexible adaptation to the standard SW focuser adapter and most importantly allows easy rotation of diagonal and camera.  For me, this is a must have accessory for this scope. Its easy to use with gloves too!
      Standard SW set up:

Click-Lock set up:

Addition of a 2.5X Powermate:

Planetary camera and 2x Powermate set up:

In addition I used the locking screw whilst observing the live star image of Alpheratz on screen through the Bhatinov mask.  There was absolutely no change in the focus position as I tightened/loosened the locking screw. This last set up I also tested at near vertical (Deneb) and there was no slip at all in the focuser control. Action was firm and smooth throughout the length of the draw tube.
      For the original scope test go here: 

• By Lachlan
      Hello everyone, 
      As you can probably tell I’m brand new to the community. While I’ve been passionate about space related topics for my whole life, I’ve finally taken the leap and I’m about buy a simple astrophotography rig. Ive done a fair bit of research and, like many, I’ve decided that the William Optics Zenithstar 61 APO refractor is best suited for my situation. I plan to use my canon 600D/T3i as the main imaging camera and I also plan to use the Skywatcher Star Adventurer as a tracking mount for this scope. However I have a few questions:
      1: I seem to be confused about how I should connect my DSLR to the Z61. As far as I’m aware, all I need is a T-ring and the WO Flat 61 Field flattener and I should be good to go. Is that correct? 
      2: will I need a dovetail bar to mount the Z61 to the star adventurer? Or can I directly mount the z61 to the base of the star adventurer? (This was demonstrated by Trevor Jones from astrobackyard with his Z61 and the ioptron Skyguider Pro.)
      Sorry for such a long thread; I’d just hate to finally get all my gear together and find out that some gear is incompatible. 
      Thanks for the help! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.