Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe    339

Hi guys,

having fallen in love with my 130pds, and seeing that I'm not the only one recently, I was thinking it would be nice if we posted our images made with a 130pds here.

It gives a nice reference point as well, as to what could be achievable (with better guiding, better camera, better weather...).

Well, here goes:

• Like 5

Russe    339

All images have been made with a Canon450D (unmodded), on a HEQ5 PRO goto, 9x50 finder guider (QHY5).

Me and my garden gnome:

get.jpg

several M51 crops:

get.jpg

get.jpg

get.jpg

M97 & 108:

get.jpg

M81 & M82 (& NGC3077):

get.jpg

M81 & M82 pre-SN:

get.jpg

few M74 crops:

get.jpg

get.jpg

dragon fly cluster:

get.jpg

and M33 crops:

get.jpg

get.jpg

Edited by Russe
  • Like 31

rowan46    1,620

This it seems to me is the new entry level imagers scope. The ed80 may be easier to use but the cost of this makes it such a cheap way to start imaging.

• Like 6

sidelight    138

I use the 130PDS most sessions now, unless there is a need for something with a larger focal length.  

get.jpg

M42 

get.jpg

Eagle Nebula

get.jpg

Flaming Star Nebula

Cheers

Ross

• Like 23

rikroe666    73

Glad to see I made the right choice of first imaging scope, can't wait for my 450d now:)

Some great images so far, hope I can add some to this thread soon.

• Like 1

tingting44    1,072

some really amazing pics in here! breathtaking from this little 130-pds :) ive not got a guiding setup yet, but only need 2 more pieces to the puzzle to be able to guide so hopefully not long,

12701312405_d6381552a4_c.jpg
12772962445_c75f7a1325_c.jpg
12772568275_ec82482a55_c.jpg
12701250484_6e7e702e56_c.jpg
Venus.....not an out of focus moon lol
12858761093_e9b70e1670.jpg
12873252494_a1e76194d0.jpg
my very first imaged galaxy from saturday night! :)
  • Like 14

Russe    339

How big was the difference between the full spectrum modded Canon and the Atik 383L?

This is the one I've been thinking about. Or the QHY8... (but it's not mono...).

Uranium235    5,585

Put it this way, the 383 would de-bag a DSLR and spank its bottom any day of the week :D

383 mono also beats the QHY8, in both broadband and narrowband. But, its a heavy camera so your focuser needs to be up to the job.

• Like 5

FLO    3,676

It is good you started this thread Russe because for many the 130pds is an undiscovered gem.

We often hear how for 'real' astrophotography you need an expensive APO triplet but the images posted here clearly show that is not the case  :icon_salut:

Steve 

• Like 8

HenryW    205

Not great pics from me, but this is what i got so far since beginning with AP in august this year. No guiding and maximum time of expousures 30 sek.

LeoTriple_zps71afe5d1.jpg

M_81_M_82_Feb_2014_zpsbed40454.jpg

M_51_19_02_14_zps0679e356.jpg

M82SN2014J_zps6e4e1236.jpg

HH1702_zps8ad9f76d.jpg

m421702siste_zps4ec9349e.jpg

Nyttaringr_zpsc7300ad5.jpg

Julekort_zps06e19a8c.jpg

• Like 26

HenryW    205

Can't edit my previous post but here is the equipment used. All pics taken with a Canon EOS 550D, SW 130PDS an an EQ 5 with synscan. PA alignment trough "feeling" as the polarscopes i ordered dont fit in the EQ5. No guiding yet but very soon as i have the equipment (except a proper polarscope)

• Like 3

Alien 13    3,143

As a non newt owner i am very impressed it does seem the ideal balance between aperature and trackability wonderful stuff i must get one.

Alan

• Like 1

tingting44    1,072

Can't edit my previous post but here is the equipment used. All pics taken with a Canon EOS 550D, SW 130PDS an an EQ 5 with synscan. PA alignment trough "feeling" as the polarscopes i ordered dont fit in the EQ5. No guiding yet but very soon as i have the equipment (except a proper polarscope)

really amazing pics henry! for 30 sec subs!!! ohhhh i got to try the leo triplet :)

is everyone using the coma corrector?

Edited by tingting44
  • Like 1

Uranium235    5,585

I have both the Baader MPCC correctors (MkII, MkIII) plus the Skywatcher 0.9x.

For getting good corners on a big chip, the MkIII is the winner. But if your chip is a 2/3 size CCD, the SWCC is a good choice.

• Like 2

andre808    40

Ok here goes, tonights M81 M82. 140 30 second subs with flats darks and bias. Not a patch on the excellent images displayed above but hey ho.

post-21095-0-69010400-1394507543_thumb.j

• Like 11

Russe    339

Got another one.

Full moon with a Canon 450D. 50 frames stacked at ISO400. Didn't use darks/flats/bias...

get.jpg

• Like 4

idigitize    70

Got another one.

Full moon with a Canon 450D. 50 frames stacked at ISO400. Didn't use darks/flats/bias...

get.jpg

some cracking results... makes the 130 look very attractive, a much cheaper all rounder compared to the 80ed too.   Russe, is this moon not really a sw127 mak?  a great sharp shot all the same!

• Like 1

idigitize    70

wow, not sure what happened with the font size :)

some cracking results... makes the 130 look very attractive, a much cheaper all rounder compared to the 80ed too.   Russe, is this moon not really a sw127 mak?  a great sharp shot all the same!