SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from North Kent

Astrobod

Hi, join Stargazers Lounge a couple of days ago.  Been an amateur astronomer since I was 12yrs old, caught the bug from The Sky at Night and Patrick Moore.  Interested in photography as well and just got a Celestron Neximage5 for Christmas, but now realise my Explorer 130P is not unto the job.  The mount is hopeless and not able to auto guide or track, so now looking to upgrade, but overwhelmed by the choice.  Been looking at the Explorer 300 and NEQ6 Pro.  Any suggestions would help.

Ron

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ron and welcome to SGL - If you are interested in imaging and feeling a little overwhelmed, then can I suggest buying the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available in the book section of the FLO website. Read it ................ then read it again and then decide what may be best for you. Only then should you part with your ££'s!!

Be realistic about the sorts of images you want to aspire to, look in the images section and people will often say what their images were taken with. It will give you a good idea of a starting point.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome to SGL

I very much second Sara's comments.  I'd further suggest that if you want to get into imaging, a 300P probably isn't the way to go.  But read the book.  You'll be in a much better position to make decisions after that.

James

Hi, Ron, and a warm welcome to SGL! +1 for 'Making Every Photon Count' it really is an excellent introduction and guide to astrophotography and will help not only in decideing what equipment is suitable for astrophotography, but also how to get the best out of it.

Archived