Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

johnrt

Bok Globules in the Rosette

Morning all,

Despite the threat of fog last night it held off long enough for me to capture 4 hours of OIII to complete a colour version of a close-up view in the rosette nebula I have been working on.

The subs were all shot at 15 minutes using the ever superb Astrodon filters and then applied in a traditional Ha:OIII:OIII method. I wanted to keep the look of a traditional RGB natural colour scheme, but without loosing the benefits that using narrowband filters bring.

A point of interest in the processing of this image is there is *no noise reduction* applied whatsoever!!!! I am going to savour this image as it might be the last bit of constructive imaging I do for a little while, I'm switching over to an OAG instead of guidescope and will need to get to grips with the new hardware!!

I hope you like it. Thank you very much for looking :)

11300035436_6012b514a7_c.jpg

Equipment list:

Filters Astrodon Ha & OIII, IDAS LP2

Camera Atik 314l+

OTA Altair Astro 6" RC

Processing in Pixinsight & CS5

Edited by johnrt
  • Like 33

Superb!  Atik 314L wont go down without a fight.. :)

This image looks stunning and very natural, Ive enjoyed it immensely, any chance of a slightly larger post?

As close to perfection as is possible I think :)

Great colours, just the right amount of contrast and what a fantastic alignment within the frame.

Dave.

• Like 1

Love the colour in this shot, can't wait to get my OIII filter now.

You will love the OAG.

Fabulous detail ...also like the colour, some narrow band images can look a bit harsh but this method is very smooth and pleasing to the eye...cool!  :icon_cool:  

Wow, wow and double wow! This is fantastic. Stunning detail, beautiful colours, what an absolute peach John. Well done.

This is a great image I really like the colour to this its superb

Both the colour and detail are wonderful,  love it! did you shoot this at f/9 ?!?!

Chris

The light in this image is heavenly - inspirational stuff, thanks for sharing.

Good luck with the hardware upgrade... Keep repeating "One step back to take two steps forwards"!!!

Both the colour and detail are wonderful,  love it! did you shoot this at f/9 ?!?!

Chris

Hi Chris, I run the RC reduced to f/6.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments!!

• Like 1