Narrowband

Bok Globules in the Rosette

johnrt

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, did you just use a straight Ha:O3:O3 RGB mix?  The colour scheme might not suit all objects but somehow look just perfect here :)

Hi Tim, yes straight HA:O3:O3 - with a little selective colour enhancement on the reds in CS5.

My experiments with Ha OIII OIII have never come to much. Inspired by this I had another measly attempt last night so it may well be as Tim says only certain targets that it works on.

I must say though this would not look out of place in the HST gallery.. absolutely superb.

The processing trick that has really moved my images forward is using the Ha as a luminance layer over the colour blended image. Normally this results in a salmon colour hydrogen cloud and odd star halos and colour, but the 3nm Astrodon suffers none of these limitations.

An expensive piece of glass, but the Astrodon 3nm Ha has transformed my images.

Hi john, an H alpha filter is on my to buy list and I was just going to get the Baader 7nm. Are you saying that the Astrodon 3nm will work much better if I wanted to do Ha + RGB? Just wanted to clarify because as you say its not a cheap bit of glass.

Well done again!

Chris

Hi john, an H alpha filter is on my to buy list and I was just going to get the Baader 7nm. Are you saying that the Astrodon 3nm will work much better if I wanted to do Ha + RGB? Just wanted to clarify because as you say its not a cheap bit of glass.

Well done again!

Chris

I moved from a 12nm Astronomik to the 3nm Ha Astrodon and to be perfectly honest, the Astrodon is just in a different league. A couple of others I know of, Sara for example moved from the Baader 7nm to the Astrodon and again the verdict was a huge improvement. They are expensive, but if you can, buy Astrodon.

you know, someone...well a moderator friend actually, who refuses to do imaging, once stated that one image of an object in space looks the same as any other...because as he put it, 'you cant walk around the subject and recompose'. well this image is a prime example of what kind of different approaches there are for imagers. 

Well it's all be said before but: wow what a stunner.

I am sure that the Astrodon's help, John, but it takes real skill and a deft touch to process data and end up with such beautiful image.

Thanks so much for posting - that's made my day.

I moved from a 12nm Astronomik to the 3nm Ha Astrodon and to be perfectly honest, the Astrodon is just in a different league. A couple of others I know of, Sara for example moved from the Baader 7nm to the Astrodon and again the verdict was a huge improvement. They are expensive, but if you can, buy Astrodon.

Great advice John, thank you :)

John, as most of my imaging is carried out through narrowband filters, I am keen to ensure I have the best available.

I have quite a lot of data almost framed the same of this nebula, using my baader 7nm Ha filters and exview chips, would you care to share just your Ha layer, preferably as an unprocessed single FITS?? Be interested to see how and where and if any differences manifest themselves.

Cheers

Tim

HI TIm,

I just leave the IDAS in place from when I use LRGB, I don't think it makes much difference in narrowband, especially with the 3nm filters. I'm happy to share the Ha file, it's an unprocessed file calibrated with flats and bias (no darks) and stacked in Pixinsight.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65773776/Ha_BokGlobs.fit

That's about as good as it gets John, a beautiful image.

Those astrodon's are tempting....a bit beyond the budget at the moment though.

I too moved from Astronomik to Baader and saw a big improvement.

Hi John, can't believe I missed this superb image until tonight - well done! I particularly like the colours you have chosen, a stunning piece of work.

You mention that you are using the 6" R/C at f6, what reducer are you using to achieve this?

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

Archived