Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

~9 hours on M 33 with an unguided AG12

Grinde

Ahoy mateys!

I finally had the time to process some of the data I've acquired during this autumn, my current workload have "forced" me keep shooting completely automated data from my roll-off-roof observatory 12km outside my city.

This have been by far one of the toughest targets to process, even though I had quite a pile of data to juggle with, there's endless of stuff embedded in the spiral-arms that took great concentration and discipline to bring out without throwing off the rest of the image. Data aquired during 5 different nights, shooting the subs when the target was in the highest position of the sky.

I've also included an annotated version where tons of dss2-galaxies are marked and labeled with magnitude. Moonlight during the lum-acquisition limited the background-depth somewhat.

Aquisition:
ACP + Scheduler
MaximDL
FocusMax
Telescope: Orion Optics AG12
Camera: QSI 583 wsg-8
Mount: 10Micron GM 2000 HPS
Guiding: Unguided
Exposures:
Lum : 77 x 180s
Red : 20 x 180s
Green : 20 x 180s
Blue : 20 x 180s
Ha : 12 x 600s
Total time: 531 minutes / 8.9 hours

Med_98.jpg
Med_98_Annotated.jpg
I've just implemented a smooth transition "mouse-over" function for annotated images on my homepage, it's very interesting to spot the weak background-galaxies without having to alt-tab between the two versions...
Best Regards
Jonas Grinde

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning level of detail and considerable work/dedication in the processing.   The annotated version looks very professionally done, extremely useful though I prefer the naked image - is this information derived from astrometry.net as a plate solve on the final image?

Thanks a lot for the kind and encouraging comments ppl! :)

The annotated version looks very professionally done, extremely useful though I prefer the naked image - is this information derived from astrometry.net as a plate solve on the final image?

Both platesolving and annotation-info was made using PixInsight : ImageSolver and AnnotateImage scripts

Heh heh. That's good! That's very good indeed! Delicious detail and the familiar processing skill which hauls out the detail without any sign of 'processing' whatever. Stunning, Jonas. You are a world class player.

Unguided? Well, your mount does guide on itself! I wish mine did!!!

Lovely.

Olly

Jonas,

That is a remarkable image, your processing is perfect. Did you use PixInsight on this? I have seen

many overprocessed images done with PI that end up looking like paintings instead a pictures.

But none of that here! Great scope too!

Why only 3 min subs in lum?

Best regards,

Pieter

Fantastic Jonas! I like the HII areas in particular. Quite often th HII regions in M33 seem very bright but with no detail at all ( I think someone else used the word "painting") - not here! Plenty of details within both HII regions and star fields

/Thommy

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Jonas,

Beautifully processed, you made it look effortless. Super pic. Lots of detail, and silky smooth. Lovely star colour, and I did notice on the larger version, they are a little diamond shaped. Is that from the spider in the scope, or was that from star work in the processing?

Tom.

Archived