Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Looks excellent G. Scope looks to be working well.

Thanks D...

Scope is having a little cold temperature issue...but otherwise it's a dream to use.

mirror needs a new coating though as I could see light coming through!

12 hours ago, cosmicbug said:

Some Jupiter stacks taken from some very short video sequences from my untracked 24 dob last night!image.thumb.jpeg.35f0facd77ac2025475e9d9

Nicely done as always oh master! ;)

Eric - are you still looking at getting the Atik Infinity? Do FLO still have that one on offer? If not, I'd have a chat with our friendly tall Chinese mate to see if he can source one through his Astro Emporium ;)

Does anyone fancy giving me a bit of a hand on Friday 18th March from 1.00pm - 4.00pm with some public outreach at my daughters school? It's science week and I've been asked to do a bit of a stand. There will be other stands there. In the sports hall. I was thinking of taking my telescope. If anyone has any books or equipment the kidsmight find interesting that would be great also. It will just be some questions and answers with the kids on basic astronomy. I know Vicky Dews had maybe a couple of cool science tricks up her sleeve. So if anyone can help out that day without going out of their way that would be awsome.

thanks in advance ?

16 hours ago, cosmicbug said:

Thanks Eric...scope is a dream!

when are you buying the Atik?

Hi Gain, buying it next week all things being equal, just studying the software manual at moment & looking at some vids & still captures taken with Atik infinity with a  vixen (think 80mm) at 6.3 which look quite good, however, I'm also looking at laptops , don't have to be high specs but need reasonable battery life I have been advised, seem to be plenty about, but it will have to be a new one for sure, I am actually not too bad with computers as I have built two of my own in the past few years, but never owned a laptop lol, also been advised to get a mouse with it as its apparently easier to use with supplied software when zooming, and manipulating some of the more sensitive controls .

10 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Eric - are you still looking at getting the Atik Infinity? Do FLO still have that one on offer? If not, I'd have a chat with our friendly tall Chinese mate to see if he can source one through his Astro Emporium ;)

10 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

It went last week Vicky unfortunately so I missed out on saving £100 lol

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

Hi Gain, buying it next week all things being equal, just studying the software manual at moment & looking at some vids & still captures taken with Atik infinity with a  vixen (think 80mm) at 6.3 which look quite good, however, I'm also looking at laptops , don't have to be high specs but need reasonable battery life I have been advised, seem to be plenty about, but it will have to be a new one for sure, I am actually not too bad with computers as I have built two of my own in the past few years, but never owned a laptop lol, also been advised to get a mouse with it as its apparently easier to use with supplied software when zooming, and manipulating some of the more sensitive controls .

Eric- getting a laptop with a longer battery life is a good idea although it shouldn't totally decide your purchase. You can often buy spare batteries or run from a powertank with the correct adaptor. A good cabled mouse is a must (funny, I was just telling Vicky to buy the exact same thing) and just note that the smaller the screen, the longer it will last.

have you been given a price for the camera?

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Hiya Ryan

I will be able to give you a hand, maybe a bit of solar system stuff and if the weather is conducive we can rig up the solar scope if it's available.

No.  You can't have it back,  I've enjoyed it too much lol so it's tbee clubs fault for buying it :) as you can tell I've got the club's scope and I should be returning it back to Paul sometime this weekend, if I can find it. No where did I put it hehe. 

Is the 18th of march good Friday,  I'm not sure if I'm at work or not so I won't commit to helping just yet Ryan if that's ok. 

21 minutes ago, cosmicbug said:

Eric- getting a laptop with a longer battery life is a good idea although it shouldn't totally decide your purchase. You can often buy spare batteries or run from a powertank with the correct adaptor. A good cabled mouse is a must (funny, I was just telling Vicky to buy the exact same thing) and just note that the smaller the screen, the longer it will last.

have you been given a price for the camera?

Cable mouse for sure gain yes , the price is £799 

eric

Eric a search on our friendly auction site will get you a lead for any laptop that will plug into a cigarette socket. I have one for mine and it's been invaluable, you could always get a spare battery but that will mean losing power and shutting the laptop down while you change it which isn't ideal.

Ryan I might also be able to make the Friday, but would have to leave early as I have the kids to pick up in Wakefield. Easter Friday is the following week. I will prob also have the solar scope as I am back doing outreach at QEGS from the 9th. But we also have two events next week, as well as two the following week one of Vicky Dews mates school, and another at Outwood grange. I'll get an email out with details see if anyone is free to help.

33 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Eric a search on our friendly auction site will get you a lead for any laptop that will plug into a cigarette socket. I have one for mine and it's been invaluable, you could always get a spare battery but that will mean losing power and shutting the laptop down while you change it which isn't ideal.

Ryan I might also be able to make the Friday, but would have to leave early as I have the kids to pick up in Wakefield. Easter Friday is the following week. I will prob also have the solar scope as I am back doing outreach at QEGS from the 9th. But we also have two events next week, as well as two the following week one of Vicky Dews mates school, and another at Outwood grange. I'll get an email out with details see if anyone is free to help.

Cheers Soupy

Eric, have a look at the jumping Jack supermax power supply,  costs £80 - £100 depending on where you get it, I have one it powers my very power hungry laptop (asus ROG i7) and my very unpower hungry mount all night long,

39 minutes ago, hazegood said:

Eric, have a look at the jumping Jack supermax power supply,  costs £80 - £100 depending on where you get it, I have one it powers my very power hungry laptop (asus ROG i7) and my very unpower hungry mount all night long,

Thanks Lee, I have 2 power units now both 17ah, one for my dew control & the other is back-up as my main scope has its own power supply  but can also be slewed manually if power fail, I should be ok if I make sure the laptop is fully charged also, I have also my 102 MM frac in reserve. Nearly all angles covered lol, not sure yet what the new camera i' m getting will use up regarding power usage.

eric

On 25 February 2016 at 12:20, Ryan P said:

Does anyone fancy giving me a bit of a hand on Friday 18th March from 1.00pm - 4.00pm with some public outreach at my daughters school? It's science week and I've been asked to do a bit of a stand. There will be other stands there. In the sports hall. I was thinking of taking my telescope. If anyone has any books or equipment the kidsmight find interesting that would be great also. It will just be some questions and answers with the kids on basic astronomy. I know Vicky Dews had maybe a couple of cool science tricks up her sleeve. So if anyone can help out that day without going out of their way that would be awsome.

thanks in advance ?

Hi Ryan - I should be on an early shift that day. I will double check my rota after the weekend. If I am on early, then I will be more than happy to come along. It'll be fun :)

On 25/02/2016 at 17:50, mapstar said:

Hiya Ryan

I will be able to give you a hand, maybe a bit of solar system stuff and if the weather is conducive we can rig up the solar scope if it's available.

Brilliant mate!! Sorry for the slow reply i've not been on today. The solar scope would be great as well!

On 25/02/2016 at 20:21, Soupy said:

Wow there is a lot going on at the minute then! I'm always at work through the day so it's nice to book a day off to do something like this. I'm looking forward to it. I know @Vicky050373 is coming because I mentioned it the other day. So thanks Vicky i'm glad your looking forward to it. :)
If Damian is coming too then we should be good to go! I've also invited the other Vicky as we talked about it at the last meeting, she mentioned a rocket experiment with Isopropyl alcohol and a 5 litre plastic bottle! Should go down well with the kids!! :D

But yeah, more the merrier If anyone else feels like they have something to contribute. 

Don't worry if you are going to be using the solar scope Soupy around that time it's fine. The fair is kind of in the sports hall anyway but I wouldn't see any harm in setting up in the playground if there is a mid afternoon break if you do pop along.

@Mark62 Hope it nothing too serious. Get well soon mate!

Archived