Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

stonemonkeylives

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

This will be the official(ish) thread for the new astronomical society for Wakefield and surrounding areas, if you live in or around Wakefield and have an interest in astronomy then this is the place for you. We will be having our inaugraul meeting at Horbury Academy on Wednesday 16th October at 19:30 where all are welcome to attend.

The society is the result of a group of SGL users from the area, coming together to find local people who wanted to observe in groups, to share their knowledge of astronomy and to share their best spots for observing. After much cloud dodging and a few beers the seeds of a society were born. The hopes of the society is to bring together like minded people who want to share experiences and build friendships while observing, discussing and enjoying astronomy.

We look forward to seeing you all there and please if you have any questions, ask away.

Jeremy.

Please follow the WADAS on Twitter for all information on future meets and activities. Twitter.com/@WADASOC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Great stuff Jeremy and nice to have our own thread that people can access and see when we're meeting.

Facebook liked...

Excellent work Jeremy.

Thanks guys, the banner was just something I knocked up on the tablet, so if anyone can do better please do and post it on the page and I'll add it as the banner. I'm going to leave the profile picture as is until the logo is sorted and then that can be the profile picture.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Please ignore the the above facebook link, I'm an idiot and messed something up. So I'm going have redo it. A massive apology guys.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

2 more days till official recognition of the society...

Looking forward to Wednesday night.

There's a chance I may be a little late as I may have to work late but will still be there.we paying any subs or setting up standing order details?

I'll take a look on the Google drive and go through it guys.

Looking forward to getting the society off the ground and looking up so to say.

Weather is I'm afraid not looking good all week.

yes, the weather looks appalling all week :huh:

however looking forward to tomorrow nights meeting. I think initially subs/membership will need to be payed by cash or cheque - at least until everything is setup/signed off, then we can amend the memership form to allow for standing orders etc.

We have quite a lot to get through tomorrow, but it should be good to get everything officially done and then we have the means to take it forward.

Ok sorry, about my absence but I had a bereavement in the family and was trying to sort out the FB page, which I've managed to do. The new address for the FB page is http://www.facebook.com/WADASOSD you may notice its changed from the above address, this is because while editing the page I went to make a cup of tea only to come back into the room to find my 3yo on the laptop. Unfortunately FB only allow you to change the address once so we're stuck with it, the perfectionist in me was not happy  :mad:

But it's now all up and running so get liking, Kieran if you want to be added as an admin pm me your FB address and I'll add you (same goes for anyone else who wants to be added as an admin). 

Looking forward to tomorrow evening, going to bring a camera for some photos for the FB page and if we knock up a quick report I can get it sent to AN for the January issue  :grin:

Got all the forms through today guys so will get them sorted tomorrow before I pop along.

I may even give the scope a bit of sky tonight if the weather does clear.

Meeting went great tonight guys thoroughly enjoyed it and what a great turnout it was too can't wait for the next meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Great meeting and nice to see familiar and new faces too.Nice also to see some stars too

Thanks for all the efforts everyone has put in to get this so far and off the ground

Here's to looking up

Edited by mapstar

I'll second all the great comments about tonight. Can't believe we are finally there. Looking forward to building on what we have started to make it a really great society.

Big thanks especially to Nick for his efforts in doing the agenda for tonight and keeping it running so smoothly.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the meeting. I thought it went well. I also enjoyed the pint afterwards!

Enjoyed the meeting and impressed by the work you have all done to get the society up and running.

Robin

Thank you Robin. I think I speak for everyone when I say we're just glad it worked and made people who enjoy astronomy in our area want to come along and join. So thank you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone that attended and hopefully the next meeting will be as well populated.