SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again Chris you have surprised us beyond our wildest imagination!

indeed Damian lee's mosaic does look good, almost as good as Vicky's but I feel you can just see where the tiles have been stitched together! ;)

Meade 3.3 focal reducer, if anyone spots one of these anywhere can you please let me know, they were discontinued some while back but maybe someone has one they don't use anymore and would be willing to sell to me.

I have placed a ad in the wanted section on here.

Regards

Eric

13 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Meade 3.3 focal reducer, if anyone spots one of these anywhere can you please let me know, they were discontinued some while back but maybe someone has one they don't use anymore and would be willing to sell to me.

I have placed a ad in the wanted section on here.

Regards

Eric

Maybe our friendly tall chap might have one in his emporium? Or advice on something similar?

13 hours ago, mapstar said:

Maybe our friendly tall chap might have one in his emporium? Or advice on something similar?

Haha...I'm on the case!

Eric: be aware that these focal reducers are only suitable for small chip cameras like the video camera you are contemplating. 

There are other alternatives you could consider too.

5 minutes ago, cosmicbug said:

Haha...I'm on the case!

Eric: be aware that these focal reducers are only suitable for small chip cameras like the video camera you are contemplating. 

There are other alternatives you could consider too.

Cheers Gain, I have a 6.3  and have seen that there are 0.5 reducers reasonably cheap , but I want to get the f down as far as possible for the Atik infinity video camera I'm getting shortly, I'm also aware of the hyper star (fastar)  but want to avoid messing about with one of those, I have decided to go down the road of EAA as my interest is in this area of astronomy. 

Any suggestions or advice 

Eric

4 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Cheers Gain, I have a 6.3  and have seen that there are 0.5 reducers reasonably cheap , but I want to get the f down as far as possible for the Atik infinity video camera I'm getting shortly, I'm also aware of the hyper star (fastar)  but want to avoid messing about with one of those, I have decided to go down the road of EAA as my interest is in this area of astronomy. 

Any suggestions or advice 

Eric

Eric, I used to do alot of video astronmy about 15 years ago and found it most rewarding. The benefits of instant gratification on tap was always a delight and surprisingly a very stress free way to image as tracking was not of paramount importance.

I've been thinking about your setup and a first suggedtion is to add a SCT Crayford focuser (motorised???) where the diagonal usually sits. This will allow easier fine focusing with zero image shift at the most critical point ie rough focus with the usual OTA knob then precise focus with the Crayford. The zero image shift will save you many hours of frustration whereby the target keeps falling off the small sensor everytime you focus!

Placement of the camera behind the reducer can be quite important too so provision for experimentation with available fittings will need to be considered. Especially if the Crayford has to be the first item attached the OTA.

i'll let you know if I come across anything.

good luck

44 minutes ago, cosmicbug said:

Eric, I used to do alot of video astronmy about 15 years ago and found it most rewarding. The benefits of instant gratification on tap was always a delight and surprisingly a very stress free way to image as tracking was not of paramount importance.

I've been thinking about your setup and a first suggedtion is to add a SCT Crayford focuser (motorised???) where the diagonal usually sits. This will allow easier fine focusing with zero image shift at the most critical point ie rough focus with the usual OTA knob then precise focus with the Crayford. The zero image shift will save you many hours of frustration whereby the target keeps falling off the small sensor everytime you focus!

Placement of the camera behind the reducer can be quite important too so provision for experimentation with available fittings will need to be considered. Especially if the Crayford has to be the first item attached the OTA.

i'll let you know if I come across anything.

good luck

Thanks Gain, I will look at this, I have the funds now for the atik infinity , will look into all the permutations you mention. 

Eric

4 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Thanks Gain, I will look at this, I have the funds now for the atik infinity , will look into all the permutations you mention. 

Eric

Looking at new  low cost laptops now with decent battery life

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

Does anyone know where I can a dobsonian mount for a 10" flextube, for under £300?

It's for a friend, he got a great deal on the OTA but now needs to mount it.

That's a fantastic photo Vicky

Make one 

Archived