SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

3 hours ago, Ryan P said:

Image of the Apennine Mountain range and Sea Of Serenity

First Quarter Moon 15-02-2016.jpg

It's a eery spot on the moon this location Ryan, looks desolate but at the same time something quite alluring about it that I try and spot when obs on moon I do, you have caught it really good.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, gtis said:

Paul

is there a lot of pot holes down the track as I don't know which car to come

up in I have a 59 plate Astra five door or a 65 plate Astra estate

neil

Unless the pot holes are a foot deep I'm going in the merc, can't do with all that gear changing stuff in the wife' s juke, the kit I'm taking won't weigh the car down that much, steady as she goes so to speak, if it's boggy, snowy, icy etc everyone will be in the same boat  anyway lol

Is not the pot holes Eric it's the middle that is quite high combined with the holes. But it is relatively easy to ride the middle ridge with one set of wheels ;)

As for the mud, snow etc. The truck should manage to pull anyone out! :)

43 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Unless the pot holes are a foot deep I'm going in the merc, can't do with all that gear changing stuff in the wife' s juke, the kit I'm taking won't weigh the car down that much, steady as she goes so to speak, if it's boggy, snowy, icy etc everyone will be in the same boat  anyway lol

Why do we need a boat as well?

2 minutes ago, gtis said:

Got a tent just need a Good sleeping bag to keep me nice and warm

You'll need a good one too if you're out in the tent. Galloway was cold. Minus temperatures 5 out of the 6 nights I was there 

12 hours ago, Soupy said:

Is not the pot holes Eric it's the middle that is quite high combined with the holes. But it is relatively easy to ride the middle ridge with one set of wheels ;)

As for the mud, snow etc. The truck should manage to pull anyone out! :)

2 wheels it is then !!, I had a look on google earth at your 'driveway' Paul, and compared it with the farm track at Thornhill Edge the stupid sat nav sent me up, the farm track is a lot worse, they have recently informed the sat nav people about the problem which came to a head when a mini bus of OAP's on there way to a crown green bowling fixture in Thornhill  got stuck with all four wheels off the ground lol, quite hilarious by all accounts, the AA got the farmer to give them a shove lol, wish I had seen that !!!!!!

Just now, 2STAR said:

2 wheels is it then !!

12 hours ago, gtis said:

Got a tent just need a Good sleeping bag to keep me nice and warm

I got one off ebay that didn't cost much and is supposed to be -6 protection, also I got a cheap airbed , and alloy type ground mat to go underneath it, thermal 'long johns' and vest, old duvet, wooly thermal hat, and a teddy bear.

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

I got one off ebay that didn't cost much and is supposed to be -6 protection, also I got a cheap airbed , and alloy type ground mat to go underneath it, thermal 'long johns' and vest, old duvet, wooly thermal hat, and a teddy bear.

Argos are doing a season 4 500gsm sleeping bag for £30 Might go and have a look at the temp rateing

15 hours ago, 2STAR said:

It isn't the potholes you need to worry about Eric, it's the barbarian hordes raping and pillaging up there

3 hours ago, gtis said:

Argos are doing a season 4 500gsm sleeping bag for £30 Might go and have a look at the temp rateing

Says -7 in the Q&A's

or you can get a snugpak sleeper extreme off amazon for about £10 more, that's goes down to -12

5 hours ago, 2STAR said:

forget the airbed for camping when its cold, you are better off using just a decent camping mat, the problem being the air in the bed gets very very cold, even if you have insulated it from the ground

19 minutes ago, hazegood said:

forget the airbed for camping when its cold, you are better off using just a decent camping mat, the problem being the air in the bed gets very very cold, even if you have insulated it from the ground

What do you call a decent camping mat

Neil

4 minutes ago, gtis said:

What do you call a decent camping mat

Neil

You need a thermarest camping mat really. They are self inflating.

I actually do use an air bed insulated off the floor but will be swapping as it is warmer 

3 minutes ago, gtis said:

So I could use a mat and a old sleeping bag then

what about a camping bed

I put an off cut of carpet ontop of the groundsheet that matches the footprint of the tent, then I put an old double duvet down then sleeping bag with me in it on top of all that,  and have been perfectly fine and warm on my experiment test run

Last march at soupy's which I think as in april,  I used an airbed and froze so much I eneded up sleeping in the cab of my van with the engine running all night to keep warm.

Have never used a camping bed so cant say if any good or not, but the whole idea is to    insulate your self from the ground with as little air in-between you and it as possible

47 minutes ago, hazegood said:

Ok, if it gets cold I will stick a pin it lol, or maybe not so drastic let some air out.

Archived