NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just splashed the (credit card) cash. A 10inch skywatcher dob is on its way to me. Cant wait.   :glasses2: Matt.

Ooh, lovely! That'll be great light bucket for DSO work.

Notice the avatar change too - is that one of your images?

Really need get imaging the Orion constellation, both wide field and the nebulas, but I cant do it from home as it is out front so I can't PA properly.

Maybe it'll be my project next time I get down to Winscar :)

Ooh, lovely! That'll be great light bucket for DSO work.

Notice the avatar change too - is that one of your images?

Really need get imaging the Orion constellation, both wide field and the nebulas, but I cant do it from home as it is out front so I can't PA properly.

Maybe it'll be my project next time I get down to Winscar :)

Yes, I took it many years ago, and processed one copy normally, as in the colours you expect, and processed another as golden, which is actually now one of my favourite images.

I might come up to Winscar at the weekend if forecast stays good.

Matt.

I did AP last night!

Nope - not a single tree was included to pretend it was a fancy landscape or anything (  :icon_biggrin:  @ soupy )

heres the stacked image of M45 at 130mm using my samsung nx100 on a skywatcher AZ goto - 8 mins in total: 16x30 sec exposures at iso800

no processing done on it, just as it came out of DSS. Focus is a bit soft, but i wasnt actually intending to plop the camera on the mount at all, so didnt get round to focusing on something and marking the focus ring for infinity, so i just guessed. Plus i wasnt massively accurate when aligning either, as the Fov with my little f5 frac is huge and i just sort of centred the alignment stars.

Not bad though for a quick attempt and at least I know it now works! Looking forward to taking it somewhere dark and using it for what I bought it for - 50mm prime widefield whilst i use my 12" dob visually.

post-26554-0-15607100-1452611701_thumb.j

and also a widefield of Taurus, 2x30 sec exposures at 50mm iso800 stacked in dss - only processing was done in dss to remove the orange cast from the streetlight.

again focus is soft and theres minor trails, but quite happy.

post-26554-0-02176300-1452612430_thumb.j

Is anyone planning on going down to Winscar this weekend? Forecast is good for both Friday and Saturday night.

I might, not sure what my schedule is like this weekend, im just trying to get through this week as I seem to be out somewhere most nights this week.

Called into GreenWitch this morning and a had good chat with Lee regarding various aspects of astronomy and I was impressed with his natural enthusiasm and knowledge on the subject.

Also I got a good price reduction being a wadas member on a Celestron focal reducer, I have a Celestron 25mm x-cel lx en route from another source, wish I had also got that from lee.

Eric,

Thanks guys for the compliments

The actual data was acquired from a remote scope in New Mexico as I got tired of waiting for that elusive clear spell.

The whole process was a bit more convoluted than anticipated as the comet is a moving target with no fixed Ra/dec points. It's amazing how you take for granted the process of pointing by looking through a viewfinder to check its there!

Anyway, I got a 10 minute window and grabbed a five minute luminance sub. Then spent a good hour trying to tease out the tails from the image. So result is the tails are easily identified however the image is a little pushed and over stretched.

Hoping I get another chance to do it again properly!

Thanks guys for the compliments

The actual data was acquired from a remote scope in New Mexico as I got tired of waiting for that elusive clear spell.

The whole process was a bit more convoluted than anticipated as the comet is a moving target with no fixed Ra/dec points. It's amazing how you take for granted the process of pointing by looking through a viewfinder to check its there!

Anyway, I got a 10 minute window and grabbed a five minute luminance sub. Then spent a good hour trying to tease out the tails from the image. So result is the tails are easily identified however the image is a little pushed and over stretched.

Hoping I get another chance to do it again properly!

Yeah I thought it looked a bit that way

As if!

Archived