Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a nice little session in the back garden with my neighbour (and 2nd cousin - same person), he's never looked through a telescope before so just a quick hop through the obvious choices, M42, M45, M31. Also managed a successful star hop to M81/82, yey me. Tried to split Sirius, but too low and near roof tops to get a clean split, then Mizar, but that was even closer to the roof tops, found a couple of other doubles though before he had to go home because he was too cold - not used to standing around in the dead of night in the middle of winter!!

I carried on for a bit longer, jumped to sigma orionis, which i'd never seen before - just wish he'd stay to see that, as it's a lovely system.

When i was out, i found that my focuser was slipping quite a lot. Sometimes it wouldn't grip when I twised the focus knobs and sometimes it would slip right back when I pressed my eye up against it. Any ideas?

Tighten up the little grub screws slightly under the Crayford which press the thumb wheel shaft onto the movement plate.

Me and Kev has just got back in, and big shout out to Astrotyke for bring the clearing skies to my attention :D. Jupiter looked beautiful despite it being do low down still. Quick look at M81 and M82. Cant see alot of the sky from my garden, mainly north, east and west, south only over the rooftops which is a bit of a [removed word] but still plenty to see.

Tucked up in bed now with very cold feet.

Me and Kev has just got back in, and big shout out to Astrotyke for bring the clearing skies to my attention :D. Jupiter looked beautiful despite it being do low down still. Quick look at M81 and M82. Cant see alot of the sky from my garden, mainly north, east and west, south only over the rooftops which is a bit of a [removed word] but still plenty to see.

Tucked up in bed now with very cold feet.

My first time seeing Jupiter and the Galilean moons. I might have got a little bit excited :icon_bounce:

Well, it is just gone 4am and I have just walked back in the door after a brilliant evening in The Dales, near Hawes, with Gain and Tony from HAPS.

Wow! Stunning skies and we have been busy capturing Catalina, as well as Orion constellation, M42 and M45 The Pleiades.

Hopefully, I'll get some images sorted out tomorrow evening, but for now it is time for a couple of hours in bed before that alarm goes off!

This won't seem such a good idea in the morning........

Catch you all later :)

Well done Matt glad you got out with ur new scope.

There's nothing like looking through an eyepiece and seeing it for ur self I remember my first site of Saturn wonderful thank for that Damian and Paul.

I was like a little kid in a sweet shop that night

Archived