Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Scope looks fabulous Matt! Bet you can't wait to get out with it.

Had a pleasant hour and a half over at WYAS with Terry, Chris and his dad, John.

Disappointed that I missed the rocket making, but we did get a little tour of the observatory and had a good chat with some of their club members.

Think it'll be good to try to get together with their society sometime and get to know them a bit more.

Back home, feet up, and time for a nice cold John Smiths Smooth and a catch-up with Stargazing Live - bliss! :)

Sounds like everyone is getting new kit! That's excellent! Must have another browse on my favourite auction site again ;)

As for numbers for contacts or emails, it's a good idea but not everyone wants their details shared around, so you could email the WADAS account then I can email out to all members which could work in emergency or in case we take the site down with our huge thread again ;)

Wow! Scope looks fabulous Matt! Bet you can't wait to get out with it.

Had a pleasant hour and a half over at WYAS with Terry, Chris and his dad, John.

Disappointed that I missed the rocket making, but we did get a little tour of the observatory and had a good chat with some of their club members.

Think it'll be good to try to get together with their society sometime and get to know them a bit more.

Back home, feet up, and time for a nice cold John Smiths Smooth and a catch-up with Stargazing Live - bliss! :)

Yea, was nice to see you and Terry tonight, as well as enjoying the tour of the dome I think we did some good club advertising there. They all seem a good bunch over there and they seemed keen to come to on of our meetings, so weve told them the dates, or at least the ones we could remember :)   Also talked about maybe the two societys doing some sort of event, or meet together at some time in the future, so maybe something will come out of that.

I too am doing the same as you Vicky, John smiths extra smooth and stargazing live now :) 

Out of interest, as a society how many outreach events do we typically do in a year? Is it in the constitution that we try to commit to a certain number of educational events or anything?

I dont think theres a number specified but the club is always on the lookout for new outreach opportunists in the year.Someone else will be able to tell you exactly how many at the moment we have planned.I know the Horbury show is a regular on each year and  I belive we have some scouts or cub visit coming up soon dont we, not far from me too so ive already put my name forward for it, I just just cant remember when it is lol

Also, one thing to remember is the society is only 2 years old, so I hope as we become more well known then that number will increase, and will just be limited to how many people are free to attend the events.

The scout astronomy badge outreach event is Wednesday 27th January. We both offered our services Chris, although any more volunteers would be appreciated :)

Ah yes, thanks Vicky. What time do we need to be there for? ive added it to my diary :)

Set up and ready for the first clear night.

Matt.

Nice Matt,

My scope is also set up in the lounge, it's been that way for nearly three months now!

It is missing the secondary but to be fair it's not been worth setting up for any viewing.

Nice Matt,

My scope is also set up in the lounge, it's been that way for nearly three months now!

It is missing the secondary but to be fair it's not been worth setting up for any viewing.

Get that secondary in if you can Damian, clear skies on friday as far as I can tell

Nice scope Matt hopefully you can get out tonight looking at the forecast.

Shame your on nights Damian. Looking at the forecast for Dunfordbridge it could be a bit dodgy getting up there snow is forecast for today and tomorrow and freezing temperatures

Nice scope Matt hopefully you can get out tonight looking at the forecast.

Shame your on nights Damian. Looking at the forecast for Dunfordbridge it could be a bit dodgy getting up there snow is forecast for today and tomorrow and freezing temperatures

Yea, I wondered how much snow they might get, i think it said on the weather last night a few centimetres.  At this time, Friday night has the better forecast as at the moment theres zero cloud forecast, a bit of cloud tonight and also saturday.

Just keep checking the forecast, ive got clear skies forcast for royston tonight, although im having a night at home tonight for once ill still go out, and if the snow isnt too bad im planning on going to Dunford bridge tomorrow night.

According to the Met Office tonight is looking good. Friday not so good at the moment.

I just noticed that Sam, bluming thing changes all the time, friday was looking super, but as you say a bit cloudy now. It keeps changing, i think ill just look out of the window and see what its like, that method seems the best to me :)

might be out tonight if OK. Been ages.

going anywhere special or just back garden? ive been out of the house for the last 3 nights running, i think the wife might start to either a,get annoyed, or b, shes probably glad lol so depending on which one it is then that will determine where I go I guess :)

Archived