Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well just had a hour outside and the RDF ain't playing ball will have to take it back Saturday

Useless piece of plastic junk

Neil

Mine is same Neil, I left it on just as backup with me having problems with RACI i bought, turned out even the RDF couldn't align, hence I was using my 102 frac last night.

The 9.25 evo is no doubt a very good scope, but I have had quite a bit of hassle with the peripheral kit since buying, if it was car I would have taken it back lol!!!!!.

Eric

post-46661-0-45241800-1451640418_thumb.jForget mew years eve drinking, new years astronomy, it's the new thing. Managed a couple of hours on the garden. Could have gone out again at 6 when the 3year old woke me up, it was still clear but 4.5 hers is just not enough. Winscar this month...

Well done soupy I'm so envious [emoji26] Iv checked the weather out all night after midnight and it's been cloud.

Happy new year to all of you hope 2016 is a good year for us all to go viewing ( 2015 been Rubbish ) all the best see you all Thursday

Mark

Here's two of my better shots from last night... Wish it wasn't new year as I went to bed relatively early (too many whiskeys) and got up with a bit of a fuzzy head this morning. It's frosty and clear so probably has been all night, would have been an excellent astronomy night... Hey ho you win some you lose some :(

post-22085-0-52547200-1451642381_thumb.j

post-22085-0-70610000-1451642455_thumb.j

Happy new year to you all :)

Well done Soupy.

I popped out for 15 minutes with the binos at around 1am and did The Moon, Jupiter, Pleiades, Orion etc.

I ended up going to bed aroubd 1.30am as we had a guest and she wanted to go to bed and the sofa-bed is in the living room.

Set my alarm for 5am to see if I could get set-up to do Catalina, but...... CLOUD! So, I went back to bed.

Not good news about your finder Eric - hope you get things sorted as the OTA seems spot on!

It was probably the best night for astronomy for the last two months.

I walked home (well back to my parents) at 4am and it was frosty and very clear.

The moon was well up and I was wishing I was out with the scope myself

Damian

Oh Very Nice Soupy. I did catch a glimpse of Orion by eye only between the drizzle.

It drizzled here until about 2300 hrs. Then cleared up by which time as I have just PMd Damian, there were a multitude of bright stars all over the sky followed but suspiciously loud bangs. Don't think they were supernovas though !   :p

Derek

Cheers Derek, shame you had clouds and drizzle. I heard those bangs, but fortunately I was deep in Kielder forest so only the naturally bright normal stars for me and no man made supernovas! ;)

And the aurora was the best light display to bring in a new year with anyway! Nature always does a better job than us.

Hi, regarding the RACI Finder, I did as suggested by a guy from Sweden who had same problem, stuck a metal washer between the finder oat and the 3rd adjustment screw , hey presto !!! Aligned quite well at last, just messing about with the RDF as that was useless cheap plastic thing and was not behaving, I applied the same method as with RACI but stuck a piece of rigid plastic instead of a metal washer, hey presto this then aligned ok!!!!!

We shouldn't need to do all this messing around with the money we pay out for scopes, but anyway I am feeling confident I can fine adjust both finders when out in the field so to speak , fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!.

Cheers Derek, shame you had clouds and drizzle. I heard those bangs, but fortunately I was deep in Kielder forest so only the naturally bright normal stars for me and no man made supernovas! ;)

And the aurora was the best light display to bring in a new year with anyway! Nature always does a better job than us.

You Lucky Sod !

Very jealous.. Last time I saw the Auroa there was in between rain and cloud. Even then it was hard to see anything. Very nice place to spend a dark clear night. I am looking forwards to the march Star Party there.

Maybe you and Damian will get there too.....

All the best,

Derek

Someone posted that there were clear skies tonight, but I don't know where that forecast cane from. rain and cloud for the next few days add far as I can see

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Same here rain rain rain

Mark

Mind you. My bbc weather app did show clear tonight, but I think it was the app playing up. we are going up to Otley tomorrow to bury my grans ashes, think we will need wellies, waterproofs and snorkels lol.

Mind you. My bbc weather app did show clear tonight, but I think it was the app playing up. we are going up to Otley tomorrow to bury my grans ashes, think we will need wellies, waterproofs and snorkels lol.

And that's just on the main road

Mark

Archived