Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comet Catalina now in Bootes just below and west of Arcturis at mag +4.9 & distance is 7.70 light minutes away.

Lets get those clouds out of the way just even for 10 mins will do !!

showing west on sky portal slightly but showing east on Stellarium lol, anyway its in bootes lol at this minute anyway !!! 

Well, I've been sat in Vic's Astronomy Central reading my magazines and listening to the rain, thinking "When will we get to do any astronomy?"

Decided to get the acrylic paints out and have a go at transforming one of the Christmas chocolate packages.

Painting the inside to leave the outside smooth, so I've had to start with the darker, outer colours.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Just waiting for the paint to dry off a bit so I can do some of the lighter background colours.

Hopefully, completed photo to follow later.......

Thanks for the heads-up about The Sky at Night - better check I have set it to record :)

post-39306-0-47665600-1451506962_thumb.j

Well, I've been sat in Vic's Astronomy Central reading my magazines and listening to the rain, thinking "When will we get to do any astronomy?"

Decided to get the acrylic paints out and have a go at transforming one of the Christmas chocolate packages.

Painting the inside to leave the outside smooth, so I've had to start with the darker, outer colours.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Just waiting for the paint to dry off a bit so I can do some of the lighter background colours.

Hopefully, completed photo to follow later.......

Thanks for the heads-up about The Sky at Night - better check I have set it to record :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is it, a painted christmas chocolate pot? Do I win a prize? :) looks good vicky. Wadas artist in resident :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

It's Jupiter that's the big red spot I remember it from last winter

Mark

Yay! Don't think I have actually seen the GRS with my own eyes. Jupiter is up at around 11pm now, and I managed to get outside for a sneaky look last week - it might have been Christmas Eve if I remember right. Stunning to view in any scope :)

Looking forward to Sky at Night as it is the one about the Star of Bethlehem.

Recording the last Christmas lecture as the TV is being occupied by Sophie and Terry watching Ben Fogle.

I'll be kicking them off at 9pm! ;)

jupiter is up at 10:37 tonight, get your facts right hehe. ill be watching last nights and tonight's lectures in the morning as we only had time to watch one of them today, but I enjoyed the first one.

Im recording the star of Bethlehem program tonight too.Although the cynical side of me is having a guess that it will end up like any other version of the star of Bethlehem and just say that they dont know what it was. I hope to be surprised.

Hey guys, just had a message on the Facebook page from saying there is something organised for 5th January, but to my knowledge the next meet is the AGM on the 7th. Have I missed something?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi, i didnt get that? not that I can see. As far as I know its the AGM too is the next meeting.

Hey guys, just had a message on the Facebook page from saying there is something organised for 5th January, but to my knowledge the next meet is the AGM on the 7th. Have I missed something?

Hi Jeremy - I've not had any notifications through at all. Just checked on the website and I can only see the AGM for next Thursday 7th January. Not got anything through via Facebook. As far as I'm aware, there is just the AGM next week :)

That's what I thought but he said it mentioned it on the website but I couldn't see anything. Ah well...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

wasnt anything for the west yorkshire AS was it if you follow any of there posts? they meet on a Tuesday? just thinking thats all

I managed it through my little frac the other morning with the new lenses looked crystal clear at low mag carnt wait to use them in the 8" [emoji3]

Mark

Hi mark

What little frac have you got

Neil

Hi Guys,

Anyone got any tips for astrophotography?

I have put Stellarium on my computer and want to use it to control my telescope, I have ordered a cable to link it together but heard my friend say I needed to download drivers? I am reasonably new to this side of photography.

Any help / tips would be great!

Cheers, Adam

Archived