Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Hi Adam, and welcome to the thread.

I am also just trying to get into AP and there is a lot to take in! I have Stellarium on my laptop, but it is an old one and I have not even tried to connect it to my scope. I would not be able to offer any help with this, sorry.

Hopefully, one of our more experienced members might be able to offer a bit of insight into this, or there will probably be a thread on SGL dedicated to this particular subject.

Where abouts do you live? Are you near Wakefield?

What scope do you have, and do you use a DSLR or a CCD for your imaging?

Comet Catalina is very close to Arcturus in Bootes, so should be very easy to find through the EP in a scope. We just have to hope for some clear skies in the next couple of days to allow us to see or view it!

I believe you would get a reasonable image by just using a DSLR on a tripod, however if you have the adaptors to connect one to your scope that would be even better. However, if you are fortunate enough to own a CCD and scope, and if clear skies allow, you should get some cracking images.

Don't think I will have helped you much, and hopefully there will be some words of wisdom from other members posted soon :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vicky,

Thanks!!

One of my friends dad's used to be into it pretty big so luckily learnt a fair bit from him but am really learning it all for myself now, I have bought a bunch of stuff to go with my telescope of which I have a Celestron 130 SLT, I am using a DSLR for AP and as I live in Wakefield its hard to find dark spots and am currently searching on googlemaps trying to find new areas that aren't a million miles away from home. 

I am constantly looking at the weather and apparently we are in for a clear sky Friday night (fingers crossed)

I wish I had enough for a CCD but that will probably be best left until after my wedding later on in the year otherwise i sense trouble ahead......lol

Welcome Adam,

Can't help with the photography side of things or the weather but you are free to join us the next time out.

Also come along to one of our meetings as we're very friendly and will help where we can.

Damian

Yup, I am starting with my DSLR, either on the Star Adventurer or on my scope if it is a clear enough evening to warrant getting the big set-up out. Only been into it for a short time, so still finding my way around the gear, and getting used to the DSLR itself.

Feel free to drop onto the thread at any point, we are a friendly and chatty bunch who are more than happy to share our experience and tips we can. If you can make it to one of our meetings, you would be made very welcome. Have a look on the WADAS website for upcoming meetings and events. The next meeting is Thursday 7th January, although this is our AGM, so may not be the best meeting to attend as your first. The next meeting will be Thursday 21st January when we have Julian Onions giving a talk. Meetings are at Horbury Academy and start at 7.30pm.

We meet when we can for viewing sessions at Winscar reservoir or Overton cricket club - follow our separate events thread for details of meet-ups, or again these are detailed on the website.

It seems as though you have got a nice set up to get cracking, and hopefully we'll get some clear skies soon.

Hi Damien,

I will be joining on the 7th and will definitely come out next time you're about if you give me a shout finger crossed i will be pulling all nighters tomorrow and friday night taking exposures, then begins the fun of stacking and processing after that ha! Actually quite excited to do it!

Hi Damien,

I will be joining on the 7th and will definitely come out next time you're about if you give me a shout finger crossed i will be pulling all nighters tomorrow and friday night taking exposures, then begins the fun of stacking and processing after that ha! Actually quite excited to do it!

It'll be good to see you.

Hopefully, the cloud gods will give us a much needed break and grant us a couple of clear evenings.

I have just started to touch on processing and it is a steep learning curve - think I'll be coming to you for tips on that one hehe ;)

Yup, I am starting with my DSLR, either on the Star Adventurer or on my scope if it is a clear enough evening to warrant getting the big set-up out. Only been into it for a short time, so still finding my way around the gear, and getting used to the DSLR itself.

Feel free to drop onto the thread at any point, we are a friendly and chatty bunch who are more than happy to share our experience and tips we can. If you can make it to one of our meetings, you would be made very welcome. Have a look on the WADAS website for upcoming meetings and events. The next meeting is Thursday 7th January, although this is our AGM, so may not be the best meeting to attend as your first. The next meeting will be Thursday 21st January when we have Julian Onions giving a talk. Meetings are at Horbury Academy and start at 7.30pm.

We meet when we can for viewing sessions at Winscar reservoir or Overton cricket club - follow our separate events thread for details of meet-ups, or again these are detailed on the website.

It seems as though you have got a nice set up to get cracking, and hopefully we'll get some clear skies soon.

what set up have you got? how far are you into it? have you learnt about dew shield and all sorts yet? got some money saving ways around things :-)

Welcome Adam,

As far as I can see we should, well might, have some clear skies tomorrow night, Friday looks cloudy at the moment.

well fingers crossed for Friday night because i found a dark site that might be quite good (still need to check it out yet might go in a minute) and if it is a dark clear sky then i should be able to pull an all nighter and get some long exposures

what set up have you got? how far are you into it? have you learnt about dew shield and all sorts yet? got some money saving ways around things :-)

Don't think there is such thing as money saving in this hobby lol - black holes are in my bank account as well as in space!

I'm one of the rare wives who hides astro-gear instead of bags and shoes, and then reckon I've had the stuff for ages! ;)

I've been into astronomy for about a year or so, but got my first scope in March. Got an NEQ6 recently to enable he to start doing some longer exposure EP, but the weather hasn't been very kind of late and I haven't really got cracking with it. Hopefully, I'll get sorted soon as the season is already halfway over!

It'll be good to see you.

Hopefully, the cloud gods will give us a much needed break and grant us a couple of clear evenings.

I have just started to touch on processing and it is a steep learning curve - think I'll be coming to you for tips on that one hehe ;)

Im hoping just for the clear night i got all my set up all sorted and finally ready to go and had nothing but clouds......although saying all this I moved up from just north of london last november and I've never seen clear skies like we get up here they are stunning!!!

Don't think there is such thing as money saving in this hobby lol - black holes are in my bank account as well as in space!

I'm one of the rare wives who hides astro-gear instead of bags and shoes, and then reckon I've had the stuff for ages! ;)

I've been into astronomy for about a year or so, but got my first scope in March. Got an NEQ6 recently to enable he to start doing some longer exposure EP, but the weather hasn't been very kind of late and I haven't really got cracking with it. Hopefully, I'll get sorted soon as the season is already halfway over!

only money saving things like instead of buying heater controls for your scope or expensive dew shields buy some of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camp-Camping-Roll-Up-Foam-Foil-Sleeping-Mat-Mattress-Tent-Exercise-Yoga-Festival-/161910768998?hash=item25b2a24566:g:QxYAAOSw8-tWZYWU----it does the exact same job and costs a fraction of the price other than that I am trying to find other ways around spending so much although its easy to get carried away.

Also I love your style of saying you have had it for ages haha!! sounds like something i would do!

I think Chris (Astrotyke) uses a camping roll similar to that as a dew shield - works a treat apparently.

I need to get something like it for my 8SE as the dew shield I had given with it doesn't really fit it properly.

There's always something that is "needed".

Anyway, time I was hitting the hay - work tomorrow.

Hope you find that dark site - you'll have to let us know if you've found a good spot.

Hope you get a clear evening tomorrow for your imaging. If it is clear, please report back and let us know how you get on :)

I think Chris (Astrotyke) uses a camping roll similar to that as a dew shield - works a treat apparently.

I need to get something like it for my 8SE as the dew shield I had given with it doesn't really fit it properly.

Hope you find that dark site - you'll have to let us know if you've found a good spot.

Hope you get a clear evening tomorrow for your imaging. If it is clear, please report back and let us know how you get on :)

Ofcourse i will! and I've got another roll on its way so if i have enough left i will send it your way if you want it? 

Thank you i will let you know how i get on and will send pics once I'm there and getting on it :-)

I do indeed use a camping roll, I know it cost less than a fiver, although in a heavy dew it probably wouldnt keep the dew off, but its better than nothing. Although, seen as we have had bad weather in Yorkshire for the last five years it seems like, ive not tested it with a heavy dew, but other nights when theres been a light dew it worked a treat.
Also, when i get it fitted well, its very good at stopping any stray light, so it does 2 things well which I like.
post-13088-0-35926700-1430141174_thumb.j

where do you go?

We go to winscar reservoir it's about the darkest place around here within a 30mins drive. It's just at the top of the peak District near to dunford bridge.

If you're impressed now with the skies then winscar will be that step again.

After London I'd be impressed in my back garden! It's awful down there me and Soupy went down for a talk by Prof Chris and a guy from the Baker Street astronomers had brought a scope along the only thing we could see was Jupiter!

Saying that this cloud is worse than any light pollution!

Damian

Well the place i saw is probably the best im gunna get and ots not too bad to be honest its on the b6135 near the m62 but im hoping that i will be facing away from it but only time will tell.

Failing that there is always newmiller dam or pontefract race course but i dont know what times these are both open until for access. I did ring lofthouse golf course to see if i could use their land but at the moment its waterlogged

Quite light polluted areas by the looks of them although it's probably not compared to London.

Either winscar or Sutton bank from where you have said are the same distance and the skies are something else again.

Look forward to seeing you at the next meeting or if you can the next observing session. I just wish I could build a cloud vacuum!

Damian

Yea, winscar will be better than the places you have mentioned, heres a website to look at to get a summary of light pollution, http://www.lightpollutionmap.info

Im just on the boarder with some light green color and I get ok skies if the viewing is good, but its not as good as winscar, but then thats a 30min drive.

All been well ill be in france this year, although it might be in the summer months, but my scope will be going with me and ill be in a dark sky area.

Hey, dont forget that the quadrantid meteor shower peaks on the 4th Jan, so worth a watch if we get any clear skys around then,  they do though have a very short peak, which lasts only a few hours, and with our current cloud record its probably going to be easy missed. They can give 50 plus an hour on a good night. The radient is sort of between the plough and Arcturus. 

Beautiful sky this morning and comet Catalina a very easy find as said just under Arcturus

Easily in the same field of view with the 9×50 finder.

Venus just on the horizon at this time also so come on people Wakey Wakey and get looking up!

Damian

That didnt last long just got to work and cloud has covered the sky already, although catalina looked good just wish i had the time to set up properly for a few snaps! If the weather is good tomorrow night i think i might go on down to winscar as i see what everyone means by light pollution there is nothing around there.

Getting a little excited about what i will be able to see as the darkest you would ever have it down south is when you close your eyes

Archived