NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a mention if anyone has a suggestion, I am having a real fuss trying to align my RACI with the scope, I need the finder moving further left toward the oca but the adjustment screws don't seem long enough to centre the object and tighten up in place to align with what I see through my 30 MM. eyepiece .

I have the celestron 9x50 RACI which is supposed to be compatable with my SCT.

Any suggestions please.

Eric

Well the place i saw is probably the best im gunna get and ots not too bad to be honest its on the b6135 near the m62 but im hoping that i will be facing away from it but only time will tell.

Failing that there is always newmiller dam or pontefract race course but i dont know what times these are both open until for access. I did ring lofthouse golf course to see if i could use their land but at the moment its waterlogged

Problem with the road you mention is its very close to the M62, which is lit, so you will get light pollution from that.

If you are wanting to get into AP,  buy the book 'Making every Photon count' by steve Richards, the site sponsors FLO stock it,

Looking at the forecast for the next few days, get out tonight to the best place you can and make the most of it, the long range forecast for the next 4 days at least is wall to wall cloud. After about 8pm tonight most if the rain should have cleared us, so get out star gazing :) clear skies to you all :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Just a mention if anyone has a suggestion, I am having a real fuss trying to align my RACI with the scope, I need the finder moving further left toward the oca but the adjustment screws don't seem long enough to centre the object and tighten up in place to align with what I see through my 30 MM. eyepiece .

I have the celestron 9x50 RACI which is supposed to be compatable with my SCT.

Any suggestions please.

Eric

You haven't said if you are close or not, or  even in the vicinity. If it is a small adjustment needed try a small polythene cap over a screw end between the RACi and the screw to give extra adjustment. The other thing I found with a RACI that I had, was that when rotating the RACI eyepiece  the view also moved as it was not perfectly centrally aligned.

You need to be sure how close you actually are to the view you need.

You haven't said if you are close or not, or  even in the vicinity. If it is a small adjustment needed try a small polythene cap over a screw end between the RACi and the screw to give extra adjustment. The other thing I found with a RACI that I had, was that when rotating the RACI eyepiece  the view also moved as it was not perfectly centrally aligned.

You need to be sure how close you actually are to the view you need.

Hi, I can get precise position in the finder but as soon as I try to tighten the adjustment screws it pulls the finder off course both directions up & down. In other words it will not tighten down on target .

Hi, I can get precise position in the finder but as soon as I try to tighten the adjustment screws it pulls the finder off course both directions up & down. In other words it will not tighten down on target .

Not sure if it's like the sky watcher ones but there is an O ring at the front then three adjustments of which only two are screws the other is spring loaded?

Could you post a pic Eric

If you are wanting to get into AP,  buy the book 'Making every Photon count' by steve Richards, the site sponsors FLO stock it,

Yes, I can recommend that book as it contains a lot of very good information.

Leigh - let me know when you want the book back - I keep referring to it as there is too much to remember :)

Not sure if it's like the sky watcher ones but there is an O ring at the front then three adjustments of which only two are screws the other is spring loaded?

Could you post a pic Eric

Hi Damian, its different to the skywatcher 9X50 as I had one on my dob.

having said that my dear wife has actually just  got it aligned and reasonably tightened the screws on it, however, I still feel they could do with tightening more. Will send pic later.

thanks

eric

More like it lol

Nice quiet night just me and Adele hope you all have a good night and keep safe whatever you doing

Mark

And you mark, once packed my scope and taking it with me, although I'm near wakefield tonight so I hope the sky isn't too light polluted

And you mark, once packed my scope and taking it with me, although I'm near wakefield tonight so I hope the sky isn't too light polluted

Yeh right. That's why we all go to Winscar cos it's too dark around here

Mark

Problem with the road you mention is its very close to the M62, which is lit, so you will get light pollution from that.

If you are wanting to get into AP, buy the book 'Making every Photon count' by steve Richards, the site sponsors FLO stock it,

Thanks i will have a look for it tomorrow ive looked at the weather and it says clear skies tomorrow so think its going to be waiting to see what its like nearer the time, fingers crossed for good weather im hoping to get there for about 8pm at the car park not sure where everyone else goes to view though

Archived