NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Total cost....your EP case?

estwing

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up until last week it was around £25.

Last week I got a new eyepiece, the first new eyepiece since 1989.

Now the figure stands at around £100...

Ant

Ant

I admire your self restraint!

Either that, or you live in a place even cloudier than mine...

Barry

Ant

I admire your self restraint!

Either that, or you live in a place even cloudier than mine...

Barry

I'm an imager really :) I bought the new Ortho for the PST - I thought that maybe it would be nice to look occasionally...

Please don't ask the value of adapters, FR's, Filters, leads, cameras etc i have :)

Cheers

Ant

Mine's bigger than yours thread...

..no just thinking how things have...how shall I say...crept up on me!

I agree; I don't think this is one of "those" threads

- I mean, it's not like this is CloudyNights right? :icon_compress:

I don't think anyone's going to be impressed with a large dollar-value attached to a collection, but I think it is genuinely interesting to know what the range of investment is that people have in their collection. Probably of interest to the UK retail market too - to know the average spend.

I can tell you mine - but only because I happen to have them all (re-sale adjusted) in a spreadsheet that happens to be open right now and "=SUM(H8:H999)" is easy to type. I don't typically look at the total, but I do tend to think of them like employees and periodically check that they're earning their keep.

Mine comes in at £1,172 but looking at them it's really difficult to see where on earth all that money has gone; it's just a couple of sets of plossls and a couple of widefields and that's it. Even then, one of the Plossl sets is the Revelation one. Where's the money gone? I guess the brand-new Powermate doesn't help, but I still can't see where £1K-plus is sitting within these cases.

Still, that's what MS Excel reports it as...

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think that I had that much invested, until I listed all of mine out and looked up the replacement costs. I'm looking at over €2000 in eyepieces/barlows alone, not including diagonals or the case itself. I must review my contents insurance :/

Adding up my scopes makes it scary as well - that is about €3000 or so.

Still cheaper an investment than my biking (€7000 or so) or my kayaking (€4000 or so)

I need cheaper hobbies..

I need cheaper hobbies..

I know that feeling. I was just thinking about the last guitar and amp I bought and it made my eyes water. Custom Shop Deluxe Strat and a handwired Hiwatt :D

I only have about £350 worth at the moment but Im about to embark on a TeleVue spending spree as I have about £2500 worth of scopes with the eyepieces as the weakest link.

I try to think about it in terms of a football season ticket which would £430 per year minimum, plus an extra £20 per match (for bus there, lunch from a greasy spoon cafe, pint, half time pie , and taxi home) so thats another £460 ...... so nearly £900 a year.

In all my current kit is worth about the same as 3 years worth of following my footie team so not too bad for a hobby Ive been doing for nearly 30 years.... so Im sure I can spend the cost of a season ticked per year on more kit without feeling to guilty . :grin:

I only have about £350 worth at the moment but Im about to embark on a TeleVue spending spree as I have about £2500 worth of scopes with the eyepieces as the weakest link.

I try to think about it in terms of a football season ticket which would £430 per year minimum, plus an extra £20 per match (for bus there, lunch from a greasy spoon cafe, pint, half time pie , and taxi home) so thats another £460 ...... so nearly £900 a year.

In all my current kit is worth about the same as 3 years worth of following my footie team so not too bad for a hobby Ive been doing for nearly 30 years.... so Im sure I can spend the cost of a season ticked per year on more kit without feeling to guilty . :grin:

Like you, I think in terms of what I could have spent on other things, where after the fact I would have nothing to show for my money; such as the savings per year for not having a smoking or drinking habit.

Edit: To me it's a win win situation, so I don't have to justify buying the best I can afford.

I buy mostly used and it's a total of about £2k for eyepieces and bits and about the same for scopes. in the scheme of things it's not a huge sum, especially as I drive a rubbish car and consider my gear to be a fun way of saving up cash from my spends etc. in the worst case scenario I could keep my family going for quite a while with sales if needed. thankfully we have both always worked so I hope that's never going to be necessary!

If you really want to know its about £1750 in eyepieces, filters and diagonals. Its down by about £400 since I sold off all of my BGOs. Pentax is as dear as Televue.

FInancial prudence is a good thing as is planning for the future BUT you have to bear in mind there may not be a future. I have personally known at least four people who all went before their time in accidents and the unforeseen.

My brother, who was handsome, brilliant and planned for his future was killed on his 21st birthday by a drunk driver. Rebecca, my best friend was killed in a car accident in her early 30s, one of my aunts slipped on a step when she was in her 50s, took a bump to the head, nothing serious. She was dead 6 hours later with a blood clot to the brain and one of my clients when I was in sales slipped on a fire escape step during a fire drill and the fall broke his neck. Sarah, lovely girl I used to work with went home from work feeling a bit unwell - she suffered a fatal heartattack in her 30s.

Personally I have been close to death (and that was certified by a doctor who told me later he wouldnt have bet tuppence I would survive) and as I went under, gasping to breathe with my lungs full of blood I can honestly state I never thought 'Lordy thank God I am up to date on my pension and have cash in the bank' what I did do was cry for all the times I hadnt done what I could have, should have etc because 'we need to save for the future blah blah blah'.

Ever since that incident I have better balance, a close call is not a licence to say lets hock ourselves to the future but its also a timely warning that theres no point putting some stuff on the to do list for retirement - you may not be here to do it.

A very good friend of mine sells life insurance for a living and they tell me that no one ever thinks they will die or at least they assume that they will live to old age and its quite scary how many suddenly keel over or get run down or trip down stairs. Her own father went out hale and hearty one morning in his 40s and was dead by lunchtime with a fatal aneurism.

Thats why I spend on my hobbies - I dont really count the cash because money is just paper unless it alolows you to do the things that make you happy.

The future is always uncertain without the risk of death being added in, financial crashes, war, revolution etc etc - so plan for the future but dont let it limit the present.

Thats why I spend on my hobbies - I dont really count the cash because money is just paper unless it alolows you to do the things that make you happy.

The future is always uncertain without the risk of death being added in, financial crashes, war, revolution etc etc - so plan for the future but dont let it limit the present.

Couldn't agree more...

For me as long as the family is well looked after, then let money go to hell :)

Archived