Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total cost....your EP case?

estwing

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll repeat a line I saw somewhere on this forum again as its topical. An astronomer states in his will on passing away "To my wife, sell my kit for what it's worth, not what I told you I paid for it"

Excuse the repetition, but this just tickled me.

Barry

It depends on which cost you mean - original cost or what I actually paid for them?

I have just realised that pretty much all of my eyepieces, diagonals (one bought new), prism, barlows (one was a present), filters, collimator, etc in my cases were bought from ABS or eBay, either induvidually or came with a scope. My original sky watcher ones are in their boxes and not in a case.

I would estimate that I have saved between £400-£500 against original totat cost of £900...

I generally follow Thoreau's principle that 'the cost of a thing is the amount..of life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.'

In the simple sense, if someone says to me they have spent x amount on y it means very little unless I know how much life they gave for that thing. If, for example, someone earns £10 an hour and they donate £10 to charity, or spend £3000 on astronomy gear, or spend £200 on your birthday that says more to me than someone earning £50 an hour and donating £10 to charity, or spending £3000 on gear, or spending £200 on your birthday. The former individual, in these examples, has given more of his or her life to that given cause or that given passion or you.

The real price of a thing, then, isn't just its numeral tag, but the actual amount of life we give up or dedicate to purchasing that thing. In this manner, I think the cost of all these astro-things I have about me has been worth every life hour I've given up to acquire them.

Whatever the number it should be considered as cheap, as long as we can afford it for viewing something that not everyone can see in their entire life. Not just wife & girlfriend. :D

Jon.

====

SW 12" dob f/4.9 - Plossl 25mm, 10mm 1.25".

I generally follow Thoreau's principle that 'the cost of a thing is the amount..of life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.'

In the simple sense, if someone says to me they have spent x amount on y it means very little unless I know how much life they gave for that thing. If, for example, someone earns £10 an hour and they donate £10 to charity, or spend £3000 on astronomy gear, or spend £200 on your birthday that says more to me than someone earning £50 an hour and donating £10 to charity, or spending £3000 on gear, or spending £200 on your birthday. The former individual, in these examples, has given more of his or her life to that given cause or that given passion or you.

The real price of a thing, then, isn't just its numeral tag, but the actual amount of life we give up or dedicate to purchasing that thing. In this manner, I think the cost of all these astro-things I have about me has been worth every life hour I've given up to acquire them.

Well said as usual, Qualia :icon_salut:

It depends on which cost you mean - original cost or what I actually paid for them?

I have just realised that pretty much all of my eyepieces, diagonals (one bought new), prism, barlows (one was a present), filters, collimator, etc in my cases were bought from ABS or eBay, either induvidually or came with a scope. My original sky watcher ones are in their boxes and not in a case.

I would estimate that I have saved between £400-£500 against original totat cost of £900...

I bought most of my eyepieces used or at significant discount while travelling abroad, but the total costs still go into thousands. If I count their retail price rather than what I paid for them, I'd have more than £1.6k just in zoom eyepieces :shocked:

It's a terrifying thought. At its height, I counted I have 47 eyepieces and they costed more than my scopes. This has now been reduced by a little after I sold a few.

I think about £150-180 or so, a couple of Meade 5000 Plossels and a Celestron Ultima Barlow. A bit more if you include the WO diagonal.

I doubt I'll be buying any more as I've been seduced by the Dark Side.

Mine is 4x pentax XW (£255 each to replace) and a couple of odds'n'ends (32mm meade 4000 & illuminated 12mm reticle), so not a lot compared to some, but as most of my sessions are imaging rather than visual (more efficient when competing with my local streetlights) it would work out quite a lot per hour-of-use.

Money is only depreciating sitting in the bank at the moment anyway......might as well enjoy it while we're here.

And in effect what we're doing is investing in the future of Astro, giving companies the funds for R&D....without us, there's nothing, it's essential.

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them...harhar.

Mine still $0. Maybe will spend about $650 or less by the end of month. Couldn't resist to get WO UWAN. Oooh...

Jon.

====

SW 12" dob f/4.9 - Plossl 25mm, 10mm 1.25".

Archived