NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Total cost....your EP case?

estwing

just had a quick count up ....this was done including my next 3 items,which I shall be gettin' later this year.....£3000. now I know that's a lot of money but it could of been a lot more! money well spent?i'd like to think so.I bet there's going to be a few on here who will be taken back by how much they've spent!...tot up if you dare!!! :icon_eek: ...sorry Mods,should of been put in the astro lounge..please move it there,thank-you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be about the same £3000 for eyepieces. Thought I was less until I remembered a couple of sets I don't use that often. Problem is I am looking at another set that have caught my attention.

About £450, I still need to pick up an 11mm or 12mm though.

I've been down the expensive eyepiece collection route in the past (several times!) but get twitchy when the value gets too high; my comfort zone is really about £100 per eyepiece, so used Radians, ES82s, and Meade SWAs suit me quite well - the ES100 is a bit past my comfort level but at $299 it was hard to resist and should get a lot of use to make up for it.

I'm know i'm giving up a touch on ultimate quality by skipping Al Nagler's work and do miss some of them, especially the T4s, but in recent years the mid-range has been improving substantially and the cost has dropped a lot, $99 ES82s and bargain-basement Meade SWA clones are very good value IMO, so the price/performance ratio has swung that way for me now.

when i saw this i though, not a lot, dont have any televue`s, but did a quick tot up at new price and shocked myself that it would cost about £650 to replace, bulk of this is circle T ortho`s

I don't really think in these terms, rather how much I need to buy my next widget. Once the money is spent it's gone (until I cash it in to buy something else). Really the value in the case is not relevant, more what I get out of the contents. Mine is 'a lot' but not as much as you'd think as I buy used.

Mine's bigger than yours thread.....

..no just thinking how things have...how shall I say...crept up on me!. I don't think its a bad thing that I've spent that much and i'm not braggin'.. I have the disposable income. The problem is I like big dobs and that's when it gets critical with ep's and coma..so it's my own making...as for toting up how much people of spent on telescopes in a another thread? that would be startling for some! and has anyone got insurance for these things,or does this come under household contents?

I sometime calculate it out as a cost per observing session but it depresses me too much. Like Moonshane I buy what I buy when I feel I need it and dont really look at the overall cost. I bought a pair of Unitrons just cos I happen to like old things in wooden boxes....yes I teally am that much of a butterfly.

One day it will bore me and I will sell the lot off rather as ai did with a firearms collection, a stamp collection, a medical devices of the past collection a antiques collection etc and then they will just be memories, the pleasure is in owning them and usimg them (obviously not in the case of 18th centiry surgeons instruments :) ) or having them go asmire and look at. What they cost is largely irrelevant to me.

I could tot it up but I would be embrarrassed or alarmed or depressed so I am ot going to :)

I suspect its over £3k + in terms of UK prices, I have full set of Axioms, a full set of BGO's, a full set of x-cels + others now.

I managed to buy a lot of the Celestron stuff while on work trips to the US so saved a lot.

It's scary stuff when you do this type of summary.

Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sometime calculate it out as a cost per observing session but it depresses me too much. Like Moonshane I buy what I buy when I feel I need it and dont really look at the overall cost. I bought a pair of Unitrons just cos I happen to like old things in wooden boxes....yes I teally am that much of a butterfly.

One day it will bore me and I will sell the lot off rather as ai did with a firearms collection, a stamp collection, a medical devices of the past collection a antiques collection etc and then they will just be memories, the pleasure is in owning them and usimg them (obviously not in the case of 18th centiry surgeons instruments :) ) or having them go asmire and look at. What they cost is largely irrelevant to me.

I could tot it up but I would be embrarrassed or alarmed or depressed so I am ot going to :)

this is how I managed to buy most of my stuff - selling books and equipment from previous hobbies. my last hobby lasted about 15 years though and I can see astronomy being for the rest of my life pretty much, hence a lack of concern about what's spent and gone; it can always be recycled. good condition, good quality used gear will always find a market, you just need to sell at a price that finds a buyer.

Any hobby I have done over a period of time has been expensive. I look on hobbies as being about rewards rather than costs. One of the things with astronomy though Is that it does not cost anything to participate so if you are in it for the long term it will probably cost less than than a lot of other things as it has no hire fees involved. I did once do what astro baby did based on this and clear nights but I did not add in the value of the new friends I have made. My eyepiece case is just perfect..:)

I sometime calculate it out as a cost per observing session

Better to never think about cost per hour in this country! :)

I go with a more general feeling of 'am I getting value for money from this?'. That doesn't mean it can't be expensive, just that if it's expensive it needs to be used - that was one of the things that got me out of imaging. I had thousands of pounds tied up in equipment, but with work, family, etc. I have little time and just didn't feel I was getting value for money from it. The TV76, on the other hand, is stupidly expensive for an (almost) 80mm refractor but gets a lot of use, even if it's just ten minutes under the stars while supper is cooking, so never triggers my 'is it worth it' worries.

just had a quick count up ....this was done including my next 3 items,which I shall be gettin' later this year.....£3000. now I know that's a lot of money but it could of been a lot more! money well spent?i'd like to think so.I bet there's going to be a few on here who will be taken back by how much they've spent!...tot up if you dare!!! :icon_eek: ...sorry Mods,should of been put in the astro lounge..please move it there,thank-you.

Just had a terrible thought......hope you are who you say your are and not my wife with a cunning plan to find out what i really pay for my eyepieces :eek: .

About £1,500 in my EP case. I'm quite pleased with that :) Well worth it.

ES 28mm 68°

Pentax XW 20, 14, 10, & 7mm

TV 2.5x Barlow

Astronomic UHC filter

SW Oiii & LPR filters

Baader solar continuum filter

SW Cheshire

In the next couple of months I will swap the Barlow for a Powermate (or a 5mm XW, still not sure) and add a 2" Astronomic Oiii then that's me done (for a while at least :o)

I have a second case for use at public observing events but I don't really count that as I don't use these EP's.

Vixen LV 30mm 60°

Meade 3000 25mm Plossl

TV 21 & 13mm plossls

Meade 4000 8.8mm UWA

Hyperion 3.5mm SWA

SW 2x Barlow

I recently bought the 21mm Ethos to go with the 8mm and 13mm Ethos and I still have the 20mm Nagler although I did try to sell it. The EP case also contains a Hyperion zoom + baader 2.25x matching barlow and a 38mm Panaview. I was thinking of selling this Panaview but last week I bought a 180 Mak and it performs great in this scope so I am keeping it. I also have a second EP case with contains some binoviewers and 4 pairs of EPs. 25mm Antares, 15mm Skywatcher LERs and 9mm Revelation Plossls are not too expensive. The 4th set is a pair of WO 9mm planetary EPs which are great in the binos.

If I count the filters it gets too expensive.

Mark

Just had a terrible thought......hope you are who you say your are and not my wife with a cunning plan to find out what i really pay for my eyepieces :eek: .

..afternoon guys,just logged on and my accounts been hacked by all your girlfriends and wives!! :evil6:

Archived