Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Betelgeuze

M81 & M82 - 17 hours DSLR

Fellow Stargazers,

I haven't posted here for a long time since I usually use german or austrian platforms to publish my images.

My newest image showing M81 and M82 is different from all the others i took in the past, because I went for a really long exposure time. So the image below is a composition of 52 subs at 15min. and 11 subs at 20min. A DSLR can be a really powerful astrocamera if you are patient and consequent. We did not have clear skies most of the time so it took me almost 2 months to collect those photons. Then, about 2 weeks ago I started stacking and processing.

It was my intention to make this picture looking as natural as possible, while still having sharp and colorful objects in it. I developed my own little selective editing technique in PixInsight to mask out everything I don't need and only apply a specific process to a specific target.

Messier 81 is a Spiral Galaxy with a distance of over 12 million Lightyears, "containing" more than 250 billion stars. Messier 82 (or the cigar galaxy) is popular for its red Starburst-Regions, and was long believed to be an irregular galaxy. Recent observations in near Infrared indicated spiral arms which means it is probably a morphing barred Spiral Galaxy. It is torn apart by M81's gravitational pull.

Hope you like it! :)

Cheers,

Simon from Tyrol/Austria

Data:

52x15min.

11x20min.

ISO 200

Equipment:

10" f/4.5 Newton

Skywatcher NEQ-6

Canon EOS 500Da

Lacerta MGEN 2

Processing: Theli, PixInsight

8544864514_c2dbdc271f_b.jpg

Sharpened Luminance crop:

8543815647_060467d1a2.jpg

• Like 9

simply stunning detail, love the sharpened luminance version also, looks amazing.

Excellent :) And such dedication - nearly 17 hours imaging time - WOW :)

Edited by Gina

That's impressive. A great result for the large amount of effort you put in to get 17 hours worth of data.

Hi Harry!

Thanks for your compliment! Your Tutorials got me into PixInsight about 8 months ago :)

Cheers,

Simon

Very well done. I'm not a DSLR fan but this is a serious piece of work and very well processed.

Bravo, a great job.

Olly

Hi Harry!

Thanks for your compliment! Your Tutorials got me into PixInsight about 8 months ago :)

Cheers,

Simon

:grin: No probs

Harry

Inspired me to have a go at these but at 60 seconds a sub i will be a while reaching 17 hours.

Great images