SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 & M82 - 17 hours DSLR

Betelgeuze

Fellow Stargazers,

I haven't posted here for a long time since I usually use german or austrian platforms to publish my images.

My newest image showing M81 and M82 is different from all the others i took in the past, because I went for a really long exposure time. So the image below is a composition of 52 subs at 15min. and 11 subs at 20min. A DSLR can be a really powerful astrocamera if you are patient and consequent. We did not have clear skies most of the time so it took me almost 2 months to collect those photons. Then, about 2 weeks ago I started stacking and processing.

It was my intention to make this picture looking as natural as possible, while still having sharp and colorful objects in it. I developed my own little selective editing technique in PixInsight to mask out everything I don't need and only apply a specific process to a specific target.

Messier 81 is a Spiral Galaxy with a distance of over 12 million Lightyears, "containing" more than 250 billion stars. Messier 82 (or the cigar galaxy) is popular for its red Starburst-Regions, and was long believed to be an irregular galaxy. Recent observations in near Infrared indicated spiral arms which means it is probably a morphing barred Spiral Galaxy. It is torn apart by M81's gravitational pull.

Hope you like it! :)

Cheers,

Simon from Tyrol/Austria

Data:

52x15min.

11x20min.

ISO 200

Equipment:

10" f/4.5 Newton

Skywatcher NEQ-6

Canon EOS 500Da

Lacerta MGEN 2