Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Old geezer from Somerset

philr

Hello,

I have dabbled with astronomy for some years, but have decided to get serious with it. I bought a Meade LX200R 10" about 3 years ago, then built a wooden platform over my cabin to set it up on. The difficulty was vibration; mostly through the wooden structure, partly the tripod.

So, this March I decided to get cracking building a proper observatory with rotating dome and a solid pier for the scope. It is now finished and working, with electricity too. I will be writing it up and posting details shortly.

My set up is:

LX200R main scope

HEQ6 Pro

EQMOD for driving it

Stellarium planetarium software

Selection of 2" eyepieces

DSLR adaptors for Canon 450D

Phillips web cam

2nd scope is a Celestron 114LCM GoTo reflector bought for travelling. I will be selling that one and then buying a Skywatcher Startravel 150 on Synscan EQ5 mount

Now wishing for clear dark skies so I can get on with some deep sky photography. I have a lot to learn though.

I really appreciate this forum; it has massive amounts of extremely useful info.

Good seeing hoped for you all.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure you ar not that old. In any case welcome to SGL from a wet Bulgaria which is rare, not been able to use the scopes for 4 days. I have a Lx 200 and you have to have them on a solidfooting. I have made a metre by metre square of concrete with decking around this in my observatory so I do not rock the boat. SGL is a great site join in and enjoy!

Alan.

Archived