SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bugs and advice on how to beat them

Marki

Gah! I hate bugs! Just went out to align my finderscope, and I'm getting eaten alive! Arghhh!

Anyone have any fool proof anti-bug/mozzie cream/juice ideas/ Preferable that don't use the kind of chemicals that strip paint (had that happen when I was doing some survey work in Scotland - the anti-bug juice just disolved the red and white paint on my ranging rods from where I was holding them!).

Any advice gratefully received!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life Systems do some natural bug repellents which work very well. Avon sell a product called 'Skin so soft' moisturising skin cream that is used by a lot of wildlife photographers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

In my experience anything less than strong DEET, the sort that dissolves plastics, doesn't do much good. The good stuff ensures that any bug stupid enough to not be repelled dies upon landing on your skin, and you've nothing to worry about yourself so long as you're not an Auton.

was told by a wise old walker that the only way to avoid being bit by bugs is not to be where the bugs are . deet is good ,skin so soft is a bit hit and miss [constnt reapplication ]

Citronella seems to work for me. We had some citronella candles sitting about when I was out imaging a few nights ago so I lit one and "hid" it where the light wouldn't cause problems. It did seem to clear most of the insects away pretty quickly (they weren't bitey ones, but they kept trying to congregate on the laptop screen).

James

Lots of nasty biters here in Spain, even scorpians and snakes when heading out to the desert lands.

As suggested a good quality insect repellant is necessary. After that, it's the female of the species to generally avoid and as such, general recommendations would be to avoid wearing bright clothing, try not to expose skin, stay clean but don't wear sweet smelling perfumes, soaps, shampoos, creams or deodrants, and try not to be out at dusk. I've also heard about folk eating a lot more garlic in the summer. Curiously, like vampires, it seems mosquitoes don't go anywhere near the stuff, but I don't know how true that is.

I've been eaten alive this year and we've had literally hundreds of VERY large mosquitos - well, large for the UK at ~2cm long.

Been using Boots Repel Once but it only has 25% deet...

i think eating garlic does help keep the blighters away, i have done a lot of Troutfishing overnighters are bad for bugs, but i didn't seem to be bothered by them so much. Evidentely the garlic gets into your sebacious(sweat) glands and bugs don't like it. Last week my daughter and boyfriend went to Rhodes and got eaten alive, whilst while i was in Egypt by the Nile i didn't get bitten once :grin: try garlic.

p.s. for trout fishing read carp, everytime i try to type c*rp fishing the forum changes it to trout :eek: :eek:

Archived