Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bugs and advice on how to beat them

Marki

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for garlic.

I lived in Greece on and off for some years and the locals swore by garlic and Ouzo. It seems mozzies don't like aniseed.

The first few days I'd get eaten alive, but after eating raw cloves of garlic dipped in salt washed down with the local homemade firewater things improved. For those who don't like garlic the ouzo numbs your mouth and taste buds :)

Life Systems do some natural bug repellents which work very well. Avon sell a product called 'Skin so soft' moisturising skin cream that is used by a lot of wildlife photographers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

There is a show here in the States called Myth Busters that seem to prove the "Skin So Soft" really didn't do a whole lot. Repellents with DEET in them seems to work the best.

If you have an Android smart phone, there are apps that will make a very high frequency noise that is supposed to repel them, just google play for insect repellent :) (YMMV with how they work, I didnt get a chance to try it in anger as my wife has the hearing of a bat and could not stand the noise (your not supposed to hear it)). Reviews on google play go from "wow" to "useless" LOL, but worth a try as most are free.

My husband also uses this method....

Oh and this is my best defence :tongue:

+1 for garlic.

I lived in Greece on and off for some years and the locals swore by garlic and Ouzo. It seems mozzies don't like aniseed.

The first few days I'd get eaten alive, but after eating raw cloves of garlic dipped in salt washed down with the local homemade firewater things improved. For those who don't like garlic the ouzo numbs your mouth and taste buds :)

+1 for garlic.

+1 for garlic.

+1 for Ouzo, I don't need any excuse to drinkl it, does Raki also work? :grin: :grin:

Doesn't actually stop the mozzies biting you, but after a couple of days you're just totally beyond caring :)

James

So, reviewing the hlpful advice here, I'll have very soft skin, liberally coated with deet, be vampire proof and drunk as a skunk wearing a funny hat! Just another day in the life of an astronomer ;).

Unfortunately I can't use the wife/bait technique, as the mozzies totally ignore her for me! Think the raki and ouzo combination sounds best; not only will I not care about the bugs, but EVERY star will be a double :)

Alledgedly, the quinine in tonic water is supposed to give off a scent that repels mozzies, or at least, makes you taste bad. Now, I like a G&T or three in hot foriegn climes and seldom seem to get bitten relative to those around me. Two to three days of constant consumption is the course required.

Russell

I highly recommend Avon Skin so Soft (I think someone might have made a small reference to this) This is a moisturiser and so is very good to apply to skin, of which I have sensitive skin and have tried many types including the awful deet. Most importantly it would seem to work too, and many Scottish summer hill walkers and backpackers favour this stuff (including on occasions myself), so it cant be all bad.

Available online in a spray formula.

"Having my wife standing next to me is the best decoy! They bloomin love her"

Hahaha! - yup a well perfumed woman about 5 yards from the scope is usually the best cure - have an argument before the session and she won't come anywhere near you for hours - neither will the bugs lol :)

I highly recommend Avon Skin so Soft (I think someone might have made a small reference to this) This is a moisturiser and so is very good to apply to skin, of which I have sensitive skin and have tried many types including the awful deet. Most importantly it would seem to work too, and many Scottish summer hill walkers and backpackers favour this stuff (including on occasions myself), so it cant be all bad.

Available online in a spray formula.

Agree, just as I said in post #21 a great reputation and its been in use on film sets for decades, Probably keeping Avon going!

DEET is the way to go but be careful with the Jungle Formula range, some of their range contain DEET and some just contain 'natural' ingredients. In my experience there's no point having higher than 50% DEET as that'll do the job just fine. You can find many companies that use DEET in their products. Key is to re-apply frequently.

For a more natural approach citronella oil is often used. I can't vouch for it's effectiveness but I do have a customer who regularly buys it to use on horses and swears by it.

Archived