Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Is your favorite constellation?

ecosse

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of my earlier memories was my Dad teaching me how to find south using the southern cross and the pointer stars. It's something I grew up with. I even have a tattoo of it.

A friend of mine designed a simple but beautiful Orion tattoo for me. Its the main 7 stars in plain black outline but both Betelguese and Rigel are filled with the actual colout the appear as.

I still have not had the tattoo done but i will.

When I started years ago, Orion was a welcome sight in the sky, but I lacked the equipment to image it. Now that I am able to catch the photons, I've come to appreciate Cygnus for all the narrowband delights hidden around it. However, my favourite constellation for observing has to be the Pleiades. I can stare at those jewels for hours.

Orion is a true great without question but as a very close second, it has to be Leo! Like Orion it is very recognisable and is one of the few constellations that looks anything like its label (Scorpio would be great but we can't see all of it) Plenty of objects to see and is in a great part of the sky.

James

Orion is one of the most instantly recognisable - first I learned too - with the Betelgeuse and the nebula on its belt. Ursa major jumps out at me as well.

But if we're talking about constellations that are home to great objects of astronomical desire... in addition to Orion there's Taurus, Leo, Cassiopeia, Cygnus, oh too many choices :D)

1. Sagittarius: The richest of all fields.

2. Orion-Scorpius (equal): My two best astro friends.

3. Crux: Well I have to say that, don't I? :D

I must go with #1 and #2 as well because of the many globs and nebula, but sadly, I have NEVER seen Crux. I live too far north .

Jim S.

has to be orion for me as well as it was my first nebula. cant wait to see it through my 9.25 as i have only viewed it through a 6" before and everything else has been brighter in the new one so orion will be. cant wait

I have four favourites.

1. Orion

2. Cygnus

3. Pegasus

4. Cassiopeia

Orion is simply iconic.

The very first part of any constellation I learnt was how to find the pole star by using the plough/big dipper/saucepan whatever people call it. It is normally the first place I glance at when the sky is dark, closely followed by Cassiopeia which I always find a comfort in seeing.

With both Orion and Cygnus I can look up and actually see what the constellation name reflects, with some others it is tenuous to say the least and requires a fair degree of imagination :D.

So I have a 4 way tie for my favourite :)

Archived