Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Is your favorite constellation?

ecosse

I got up for work early today and when I left the house it was still pretty dark outside. I managed to see Orion for the first time since around march. Made me realise how much sky he takes up, like a giant warrior! Can't wait untill I get a chance at the great nebula with the new scope

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its between Orion & Cygnus , Orion was the 1st i found always

wondered what the 3 stars in a line was called should of remembered

from The Men In Black film ( the galaxy is on Orions Belt ) & the Orion

nebula

Cygnus because of Albireo :D

Seems like Orion is the favorite, it was the only one that I knew before I got into astronomy mainly due to the belt. M42 was the first nebula that I ever saw when I first got my scope. That's why he is my favorite. This may change I guess when I get to explore more of the sky

It's Orion for me too, maybe a combination of just looking so striking with the three stars in a row plus being home to the Orion Nebula.

I have a soft spot for Ursa Major too, I see it so much that it feels like a really old friend.

Errr.... Pleiades isn't a constellation. If you want to nominate the constellation that Pleiades are in, say 'Taurus'. But I see what folks mean...

I'll have to counter all these votes for the 'obvious' Orion and Cygnus, won't I? :D Let's see - something on the more obscure side...?

Coma Berenices.

Why? Well, it doesn't really look like a constellation does it, more like a dim V-shaped cluster - which is a spectacular sight in the bins - and not too familiar to the casual observer. But it's distinctive enough - given reasonably dark skies and knowing where to look.

And home to such a wealth of beautiful galaxies. NGC4565 is one of my favourites, but then there's M64, M99, M100 - and lots more.

See, that's the exact way I feel about Crux.

Maybe it's a case of you don't know what your missing until it's gone though.

Crux is one I'd like to know better, but I've never really seen it to advantage. My only view of it was from the West Indies when it was low on the horizon and you couldn't see more than the four main stars.

I've never been south of the Line - one thing I've missed out on in life...:D

Lots of votes for Orion - a true favourite. Cygnus for me. I know it's not much but it's what you can't see with the naked eye. How many Cygnus images have you seen which are simply stunning? After Cygnus, my vote goes to Hercules. It's where I saw my first Globular Cluster. Amazing sight.

Archived