Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazerslounge TEST4THEORY, SETI, Milkyway and Folding Team!

GazOC

The best way to install BOINC is as a service. You don't normally get the graphics if you do that but there is a simple fix to enable the graphics screensaver when it's installed as a service:

Click start, then run and type in 'services.msc' without the quotes. Click OK (or press Enter) and right click on the BOINC service in the list that opens up. Click properties and select the 'Log On' tab.

Select 'log on as: Local System account' and make sure the checkbox 'Allow service to interact with desktop' is ticked. Finally reboot.

Personally I prefer to start the BOINC Manager manually (put a shortcut to BOINC Manager in the quick launch taskbar) so you may want to remove the BOINC Manager shortcut from 'start/programs/startup' too so it doesn't start on every reboot.

Einstein is a good project to run too - it searches for pulsars and has a really cool screensaver.

• 2 weeks later...

PC: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ [AMD64 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2] - 2GB RAM

Laptop: Genuine Intel® CPU T2130 @ 1.86GHz [x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12] - 2GB RAM

That's it really..... I did have a 3rd on there but re-staged it before it really did anything, it only submitted 2 results ;)

I'm sitting there with Pending credit: 1,837.83 as well.

Cheers,

Aaron

• 1 month later...

I've added my firewall/content filter and desktop to the SGL team. I bet those little green fellahs are starting to sweat with SGL on the case :smiley:

In anticipation, they want to be discovered. Then they'll all sign contracts with the tabloids to tell their stories, and get Hollywood contracts.

• 1 month later...

wonder if I can get this running on my ubuntu box? its on 24/7 and sits doing pretty much nothing except email and the odd torrent...

anyone running this under ubuntu or even linux in general ?

<edit>

sorted.. easy install with apt-get and joined the team...

</edit>

Blimey Starflyer - are you running it across your entire company?? :(

:lol: Only on my work pc; the quad core duo thingy, and 1 other lowly Sempron machine, both must be left on 24/7.

I'm very impressed with the quad core, 'twas ~£800 plus vat; 4GB ram, 750GB hdd, 22" LCD, XP Pro! video is on-board Nvidia something or other so probably not a gaming machine but it flies for everything I throw at it and it's quiet.

Funny that this thread came up - I literally just knocked together a spreadsheet to see when we'd hit the magic million - probably 13th or 14th January :clouds1:

Better get me one o' them thar quad duo core 2 thingys I think. :rolleyes:

Kaptain Klevtsov (Jonathan in SETI team)

I'm on your tail Jonothan :D

Cheers,

Ian

I'm in the process of signing up just now. I just need to see If BOINC runs OK on my PC. Here's hoping. I don't think I'll be churning out work units but hopefully I can contribute to the cause in some small way.

Peace and Clear Skies,

Becky.

• 2 weeks later...