NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazerslounge TEST4THEORY, SETI, Milkyway and Folding Team!

GazOC

must be missing something, don't get opportunity to join any team, and a search only finds Sydney something-or-other but not SGL or stargazerslounge; i had an a/c 10yrs ago but email and ip have long since changed so struggling....! can anyone help me in? thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know if any of you in this group have ever come across where the Questar folks buy the "starchart barrel skin" that they put on their scopes? They charge extra for it so they must buy it from a supplier. I want some for my LX 90 12 inch because the midnight blue/black color scheme is hard to see in the dark. I would like to do something to change that short of painting the barrel. White would be nice but I figure if I could some flames might be nice too. A skin would be semi permanent, and could be cleanly peeled off in case I want to sell it later on.

• 1 month later...

I've been a SETI-Stargazers Lounge team member for a few months. Nothing was happening and I finally figured out I had to download Boinc. The system tells me it's using my computer (MacBook), but so far I've got zero work units and no "credit." Seems odd. Any advice? SETI didn't answer my inquiry.

• 2 weeks later...

I have BOINC installed and the system says it's active, but all the stats, projects, etc, are ZERO. Again, Boinc says it's using my machine when it's inactive, but nothing seems to be getting done. Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...
Seti is a blumming good way to get you computer infected with viruses quickly. I should know. be careful, you'll be using your back up files soon enough alright.

Been using SETI since Feb 2001 along with other newer projects and none of my machines have ever been infected.

Now, when I try and join the SGL team there is no "Join This Team" link in the SETI project Team page. I checked other SETI teams and the link is there to join.

Any ideas, can any other see the "Join this team" link

I cant see the join team link at all??? I can see it on other teams, just seems a problem with stargazers team..

I went to the other link, shows me info about the team but cant see any way to join ?

Edited by nathkrul

Hey up! fellow crunchers (and astronomers!)..just joined 'The Star Gazers Lounge' seti@home team to help give the cobblestone totals a boost. Been crunching the numbers since 2000, with a few breaks here and there. My seti@home account name is 'spirit_of_the_sixties'....on the Stargazers forum I'm known as 'Patrick1948'...so just call me Pat.......Does anyone think that the Stargazer's Seti@home Team needs a seperate section on the forum to discuss seti related stuff as opposed to clogging the astronomy sections up??...Maybe something to think about. As far as Seti@home infecting computers goes...never not no how!!I've been crunching projects both pre and post BOINC and NEVER heard of anyones computer being infected by anything other than 'operator error'......Anyway, nice to be on board and when the team get established in the leagues, I shall return to my original team..'Team Phoenix Rising' with whom I'm still crunching Rosetta and Docking@home.

PS...if we don't get our own dedicated seti@home section, Team stats can be found on the KWSN site..(KWSN..the Knights who say Ni!)

The SETI@Home servers have been giving problems over the last couple of months. They tend to go down about 5pm each Tuesday and come back up about 5pm on each Friday.

SETI@Home is just doing its second donation drive, to get in a couple of new servers. You can read all about it on the SETI@Home message pages called "number crunching".

Tom

aka Albireo380

The SETI@Home servers have been giving problems over the last couple of months. They tend to go down about 5pm each Tuesday and come back up about 5pm on each Friday.

SETI@Home is just doing its second donation drive, to get in a couple of new servers........

aka Albireo380

Yes it's been very flakey of late. I had a long list of completed units which all went past their "sell by" dates before they would upload. Bit frustrating really.

I have suspended Seti at the moment and have been doing Einstein@home but the units are often so short dated that they have gone past the deadline before they are finished which also makes the whole thing seem a bit pointless.

FWIW I liked the old (pre BOINC) Seti days, it just seemed to work very well.

It would be better if you could force BOINC to complete one or perhaps two tasks before starting others but I can't see any way to do it ....

These are not problems but scheduled timeouts that have been happening for months now, it's so the servers and equipment can process other tasks during that time slot and also some weekly maintenance is also carried out. It they could get lLOADS more cash then they would be able to purchase extra servers etc.

Everyone was encouraged at the time to set their collection rates to carry about 3 days of work unit for the each PC in their settings.

I have mine all set to carry at least 6 days of workunits to make sure I keep crunching during the plan downtimes.

To others out there, if you have a decent PC Dual-core upwards etc then you can also get optimised applications for projectsd which will greatly increase your workload and also increase your RAC.

For the SETI optimized apps goto Downloads

You will have to modify some files but it is so worth it. Any problem then just post back here.

There are also optimised apps for other project, to find these just logon to the project page and take a look inot the project forums.

I do SETI since 17th December 2001, but concentrate more on Milkyway (Building a 3D map of your galaxy) and also a little fun with Enigma cracking those old German encrypted messages.

Click on the graph in my signature to see my full stats and also how to create your own sig graph.

PS, Edit.... If you run GPU then you can also get the CUDA apps which are blisteringly fast compared to the normal SETI apps.

To also see the SGL stats visit http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_stats.php?pr=bo&st=0&teamid=2ffce9724ee3740b01b0dedf47410a1a#1

Edited by SniffTheGlove
CUDA processing and SGL stats

If you want to keep the stats in the graphs in the BOINC for more than a month, then goto your BOINC data folder

in XP it's C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC

If you do not have a file called cc_config.xml then create one and put this data in

<cc_config>

<log_flags>

</log_flags>

<options>

<save_stats_days>3660</save_stats_days>

<http_1_0>1</http_1_0>

</options>

</cc_config>

and then save.

This will keep the data for 10 years, if you want a year then substitute 3660 to 365 or what ever days you want. Then reset the BOINC manager or restart your PC.

If you already have then cc_config.xml file then just add the

<save_stats_days>3660</save_stats_days>
to the <options> section.

To add my BOINC stats to my personal website and keep a seperate daily track I upload the client_state.xml file (located in the same directory) and extract the Totals and the RAC into my MySQL database using a php xml paraser. I can post all the code if anyone wishes to do the same.