SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazerslounge TEST4THEORY, SETI, Milkyway and Folding Team!

GazOC

I used to run the SETI at Home screensaver a long, long time ago, which was cool, but when they changed to the BOINC system I seemed to encounter numerous problems on my laptop. Is the software mostly glitch-free nowadays does anyone know?

I have been using SETI for very many years, and also LHC and Einstein gravitational wave detection computation. BOINC switches between them. It seems to have failed on my desktop again, but what do you expect with Vista, and found it impossible on my laptops as too demanding in computation, otherwise fine!

I've just joined the stargazers lounge group for seti but was wondering if anyone has had any problems when processing the astropulse data ?

I have boinc running at work on my intel dual core work pc but the astropulse data for Seti doesn't seem to run terribly well and frequently crashes. I was beginning to think it doesn't like a non 64bit processor but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this ?

Edited by SpookyKatt

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Joined the SGL team a few days ago..

I *think* i got the optimized one,but have a minor issue...

currently have it running on a Quad Core system,8GB ram,with 2 x 896mb Geforce GTX's (both CUDA compatible ofc as they are identical)

However..

When running Seti@home,it often sits there with "Waiting to run- 0.4 processors,1.0 GPU"

Why it claims 0.4 CPU and only sees a single CUDA GPU?

(Its set to run always,and use 100% of available processors,@ 90% CPU load.)

anyone have any idea?

I currently have SLI disabled,so the cards are capable of independant operations.

(Not using SLI at the moment as it wont work if have 4 monitors attached-Wish they'd change that!)

BOINC shows 15 CPU tasks and 5 CUDA ones.

(Although the vast majority are at 0%,Waiting to start etc)

I've got BOINC, so I'm doing my part!

Talking about SETI etc, have you heard about the possibility of the Arecibo Observatory being shut down? Can't believe it. :'-(

Info on Wiki:

"A report by the division of Astronomical Sciences of the National Science Foundation, made public on 2006-11-03, recommended substantially decreased astronomy funding for Arecibo Observatory, ramping down from USD 10.5M in 2007 to USD 4M in 2011. If other sources of funding cannot be obtained, this would mean the closure of the observatory. The report also advised that 80% of the observation time be allocated to the surveys already in progress, reducing the time available for other scientific work. NASA gradually eliminated its share of the planetary radar funding at Arecibo from 2001–2006."

I currently have SLI disabled,so the cards are capable of independant operations.

(Not using SLI at the moment as it wont work if have 4 monitors attached-Wish they'd change that!)

BOINC shows 15 CPU tasks and 5 CUDA ones.

(Although the vast majority are at 0%,Waiting to start etc)

Hmmmn thats odd, silly question but you have set the preferences to use the gpu even while the computer is being used ?

hmm..

I was also running the Einstein boinc project,on a 50% share with SETI.

Have now detached Einstein...And Seti@home has sprung to life.

I still get one of the Seti tasks saying "Waiting to run 0.4 CPU 1 nvidia GPU",but all other tasks seem to be running niceley now.

Strange... But at least its doing something now :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have had an account since 1999, no credits though as I was in a team, I am trying to join the team here but there is no join button on the team page?

Am I missing something???

Looks like a setting on the owners side, I can initiate a change of founder but can't join :)

I'd rather you didn't do that :D

Are you still a member of another group that might prevent you from joining the SGL group?

Ant

No longer a member and I have the option to join on other teams, i did create a new account but then realised my old account is still active, hmm i wonder if its IP related.

Sorted, my new account was a member so it left and I could join with my old account, must be an IP check to ensure only one member from one IP in a team.

Thanks anyways :)

• 3 weeks later...

If only units could be downloaded I am down to my last 3 yet to be processed and my i7 chomps through 8 at a time :D trying to see if I can break 2000 RAC with one machine but I can't get the work.