SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazerslounge TEST4THEORY, SETI, Milkyway and Folding Team!

GazOC

Y

It would be better if you could force BOINC to complete one or perhaps two tasks before starting others but I can't see any way to do it ....

Depends on your setup of your PC (Dual COre, Quad Core etc). Each core will work on one workunit for the prescribed time you have given in your settings.

If you only have one project then the resource share (BOINC Manager Advanced Projects Tab) will show 100%.

If you have 2 projects (SETI and another for example) and their Resource Share is both 100% then your PC will split the resource down into 50% each and then depends on your settings in Advance Menu |Preferences | Processor Usage you can change how long each between switching of applications (eg projects).

I have my set at 60mins then switch between SETI for 11%, Milkyway 44.44% and Enigma at 44,44% wihich works out as a resource share of (100%, 25% and 100%).

I know it sounds complicated at first but it gets easier.

• 1 month later...

I used to run seti @ home for a long time in fact i have two accounts but have not run either of them for a very long time,

I also currently run Einstein @ home. here Einstein@Home again i have two accounts but just running one of them currently.

infact i used to run both Seti @ home and Einstein @ home at the same time using Boinc manager but now just running the one account on Einstein @ home. Just recently I hit the magic 1million cobblestones in a little over a year, that's not bad going even if i do say so myself.

regards.Rob

Just recently I hit the magic 1million cobblestones in a little over a year, that's not bad going even if i do say so myself.

regards.Rob

That's pretty good going. It was quite surprising when I put BOINC on my Son's Quad core PC and he did more processing in the first month on that PC than I had over the last 6 years on several PC's.

So getting 1million yourself is quite an achievement,

I've got a pc that is running 24/7 that has plenty of ticks spare if I knew what to do l0l

edit: sorted, BOINC d/loaded and installed and I think I set it all up correctly :D looks like I have a lot of catching up to do lol

Edited by Photosbykev

BTW, I like your signature photosbykev :D

If I ever have an encounter of the third kind I'll be asking 'How do your engines work?'

The 'hide theory' won't work because of our radio emission...

Maybe the've all gone digital which is why we can't hear them...

I'll try to scavenge enough ram and a fast chip set to try to help. That I can do.

:D

I've got a pc that is running 24/7 that has plenty of ticks spare if I knew what to do l0l

edit: sorted, BOINC d/loaded and installed and I think I set it all up correctly :D looks like I have a lot of catching up to do lol

You could look at running optimised clients to churn out more workunits.

You get the optimised client from the projects site usually in the forums and just swap the default installed client with the optimised and the whole lot runs the same but faster.

Optimised is optimised for your particular CPU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sorry for being a bit stupid as a newcomer but what is a S E T I team jimmythemoonlight merseyside

Hi Jimmy,

SETI = Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.

It is a main stream science project that among other things collects radio transmission data from Radio Telescopes and searches these transmissions for non-natural patterns. Many moons ago SETI were the first to bring a science based application for computer onto the desktop to allow interested parties to crunch the data for them via a global system.

You can read all about SETI About SETI@home

If you want to help crunch data you need to get BOINC, an application that controls the crunching on your PC, then choose the project you want to crunch (ie SETI and you can also have many others that range from Biochemisty to Cancer Research).

To get BOINC got the link above and locate the BOINC url, download, install and away you go.

If you are not IT litterate then stay with BOINC and crunch away. If you want to dedicate more time and PC processing you can download optimised apps for each project, these are applications designed for a particular CPU in your PC.

Once you have joined SETI or Milkway (These are projects that SGL members have teams for) you can join the team to help combine your processing with other SGL members.

• 2 weeks later...

I find my GPU (Graphics card) does a unit in 14mins. It's done more in a 2 weeks than I managed in 2 years with CPU Crunching on 2 PC's. I stopped using it for a years but am back and now at a staggering 90,000 cobblestones was at 24,000 two weeks ago.

Fija

• 1 month later...
Gotta love those crazy graphics ! - Just joined the team !

If you want to lose those graphics but crunch alot more data then look for optimised apps to replace the stock apps.

For SETI goto Downloads (Lunatics site) and grab the installer for Multibeam unless you want to do AstroPulse. You will need to know what features like SSE3 etc your CPU supports.

For more details just read my previous posts here in this thread.

• 1 month later...
That's pretty good going. It was quite surprising when I put BOINC on my Son's Quad core PC and he did more processing in the first month on that PC than I had over the last 6 years on several PC's.

So getting 1million yourself is quite an achievement,

It is, but then on a tech forum i frequent their team with about 140 active members gets almost that per day. Plenty of people with 20m+ and i think there's a handful with over 100m.

What you have to realize when you start with distributed computing, is that it's an addiction :D

• 1 month later...

I gotta a plan to solve this. How about Daz, we call you Bert from now on. And Gaz, we call you Fred. That should solve the confusion. Follow the link from the post higher up, and create your account. Then you download the software, and follow the instructions to set it running. You can choose to have it running as a service on your computer, so it starts automatically and you don't notice it. You can also set the preferences so it only runs when the PC is not busy, or on full power (laptops) that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...