Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazerslounge TEST4THEORY, SETI, Milkyway and Folding Team!

GazOC

Just joined the team.

I was just wondering exactly what I do to help. I understand that my computer will start analyzing data if I leave it unattended, but what exactly do I do?

OK, if you have downloaded BOINC and chosen a project or 2.

SGL has 2 projects associated, SETI and Milkyway.

Out of the 2 above you get slight more credits per workunit on Milkyway than SETI.

What type of PC (or PC's) are you running BOINC on (CPU and also Graphics GPU?)

I have different PC's doing different projects, now my main PC is just a 4 core Intel and this is on 24hrs aday cruching in the background and this will do 4000 credits approx every 24hrs, wheras my 2 son's PC (Quad core with GTX460 GPU) will do approx 9000 credits in approx 12hrs (The turn them off at night)

OK, depending on what you project aims are, there are ways to improve the credit scoring by using optimised apps, these will crunch better (+25%) than the stock apps that are downloaded by BOINC

It is better to choose at least 2 projects if your really interested in science crunching, that way if there is a problem with one project and the work units dry up (like they do a few times a month) then the other project will pick up the slack and keep your PC crunching.

There are also tweaks you can do to change the way BOINC does things or to capture more stats for longer periods than the default month (Mine is set for 3650 days), these tweaks are cone with config xml files.

Once you are crunching there is nothing else really to do apart from keeping an eye on the stats.

You can also get more into the stats by having a BOINC external manager. I use www.boincstats.com, here you can manage your client PC and change the projects, pause them etc from one interface instead of having to go to each PC to do it, also they give loads of stats for yourself and each of your PC's.

If you want, you can also extract your own data from the world stats feed, I do this and then upload the stats to my online database which then I can generate my own stats from this data (See my sig below)

If you need more info or help then PM me.

From what I read they use Virtual Box to install there custom linux software that is need to run the simulations.

VirtualBox is a free and open source virtualization tool that allows the creation of virtual machine(s) inside your PC where you can run any operating system. For example, you will be able to run CERN's Scientific Linux system in your Windows computer without risking the integrity of your machine.

Test4Theory@Home uses this technology to run the complex CERN experiment code in your computer, independently of your OS and hardware. Thus, if you want to collaborate with this project, you first have to install the VirtualBox software, (remember it is free!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here but have run SETI in the past (until they screwed up my account and I gave up). In any case, I'm not sure I want to find aliens even if they are out there. You need to be very certain of the difference between being invited TO lunch and FOR lunch. :)

I currently run BOINC and one of the things I donate time to is MilkyWay, so I have joined the Stargazerslounge team for that.

I also donate to Constallation but that is not directly astronomy related, more space exploration.

Dave.

Edited by davebodger

Hi, I'm new here but have run SETI in the past (until they screwed up my account and I gave up). In any case, I'm not sure I want to find aliens even if they are out there. You need to be very certain of the difference between being invited TO lunch and FOR lunch. :)

I currently run BOINC and one of the things I donate time to is MilkyWay, so I have joined the Stargazerslounge team for that.

I also donate to Constallation but that is not directly astronomy related, more space exploration.

Dave.

Well done Dave, as for lunch I would prefer to be invited and not be the entree`

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...