SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scopes 'n' Skies

Demonperformer

The dreaded Scopes'n'Skies

Ordered item on their website.

Heard nothing.

Emailed them ten days later to enquire.

No response to email, but wrong item turned up, with the statement that they were sending this one as what I had ordered was out of stock.

After many emails and referring them to Sale of Goods Act and Distance Selling Regulations, they finally agreed to take the item back and send the correct one, but insisted I pay for the return postage in advance [contrary to DSR], which they would then refund.

Item returned and finally got correct one delivered.

Required another email to ask about the return of the postage which was finally returned to my account three days later.

Conclusion: They could have contacted me before assuming I wanted something different than I had ordered, but they didn't bother. It was a lot of work for the small amount less than the next cheapest provider I could find, and before using them again [no matter how much cheaper they were] I would check the temperature in H**l.

But that's just my opinion ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realise that you may be shocked by the title of this thread or perhaps even think it is a joke but I have to be fair and honest and praise the service from Scopes n' Skies.

I ordered a number of items from SnS on Saturday afternoon and thereafter waited for the items to arrive.

I recieved confirmation emails as you would expect and then on Monday confirmation that my items had been dispatched.

On Tuesday morning they arrived as ordered and in perfect condition and well packaged.

I have to say that the service was excellent and the price paid was very good and in addition they carried a huge range of stock and all of the items I could not find on any other astro site - they were not standard astro items.

In addition because I spent more than £50.00 (by about 50p) I got a decent set of 8 x 21 binoculars for £5.00 instead of £19.99.

I was happy with that.

Just thought I would pass this on.

Beamer3.6m

I'm pleased to see a positive reference to Scopes N Skies on here - that mirrors the experiences I have had in the 3 (albeit quite low value) purchases that I have made with them over the past 24 months.

I find that actually talking to a supplier when placing the order, especially to confirm stock levels, is a good tactic rather than just relying on the automated web-based ordering systems.

I'm not disputing that others have had some very poor experiences with this supplier - I'm just glad that the news is not all bad. Particularly when you look at the Scopes N skies product range which is wide and diverse - if they can get their service consistently better they will form a potentially useful souce of some interesting astogear IMHO.

I've no personal interest in the company whatsoever of course.

John

• 3 weeks later...

About two months ago I placed an order for a monocular from Scopes 'n' Skies. I paid by postal order (I do not believe in credit cards) and expected a few days delay in receiving the product because of it. After three weeks I had to chase them up, and received the item three days later.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and ordered a golfing scope (Christmas present for a relative) about a fortnight later. After a period of two weeks I had to chase them up about it - it was delivered several days later.

Astronomy has always interested me, and I decided to purchase a Heritage 130P. Knowing the delays when ordering previously, I asked my daughter to order it online for me with her credit card - I gave her the money and she did so. I paid an extra £6.50 for next day delivery. This was on the 14th December.

On the 16th December I contacted Scopes 'n' Skies and asked them why I had not received it despite paying the extra. I was told that it had not been despatched, but they would do so immediately and refund the £6.50. It is now the 18th December, and I have still not received the scope!

I have spent most of today trying to email and phone them to no avail.

The service that I have received from this company is disgusting. In all my dealings with them, not once have they apologised, and that really annoys me.

I’m a fairly laid back person so when I ordered a Scopes 'n' Skies 90 degree mirror to aid viewing the screen on the back of my camera and was told they were awaiting stock I relaxed and waited.

Well today, 9 weeks after I placed the order, it arrived with a note thanking me for my patience and to my surprise, two free books along with a small planisphere, the total value of which equalled my original order. I thought this gesture was worth bringing to your attention.

Mel

It is true i have also had bad dealings with the above.

I mentioned a year ago that i ordered some eyepiece's from them, which took about 2 months to deliver.

Even though there was never any communication to advise of problems, when the kit did finally arrive it came with a few books and a small red LED lamp/ Compass as well.

I guess this was their way of apologising.

However that said, greater communication would have been of greater value than a few books which were over a decade out of print.

Still the gesture was there i guess.

You now know my views regarding Scopes 'n' Skies, but in fairness I thought I ought to update you with the latest.

I reninstated my order with them on 23rd December and recieved my Heritage 130P on the 24th December - I had paid for next day delivery.

You could argue that I originally placed my order on the 14th December and recieved it on the 24th December - 10 days for a next day delivery.

I would have received it on the 15th December if it had not been out of stock, however!

The problem is they did not inform me of the situation. You cannot just ignore customers.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to order some equipment in time for christmas:

The first piece of equipment - the website took the order and we got an order confirmation email - but when we chased it (after finally managing to get hold of the company) - was told it was in fact out of stock and that they would cancel the transaction.

Then tried to order a meade ultrawedge. Again got an order confirmation - but the item never arrived. Nobody ever answers the phone, and upon leaving email and phone messages - you get no reply either. I have checked with my CC company and it looks like the transaction hasnt even been put through.

What a terrible company - rubbish customer service - we'll never use them again

• 4 weeks later...

Another tale of woe from the infamous Skopes-N-Skies

Simple online order via Paypal.

Telephone call to inform me that the product is out of stock

Upgrade to a more expensive product, further payment via Paypal

“In stock will be dispatched immediately sir.......Nothing!!!

4 days later, call to SNS “will dispatch today sir were very busy”..

I cancelled the order and asked for an immediate refund back into my Paypal account

“ yes sir sorry for any inconvenience” .................No refund.

Called SnS today for explanation “ we will get around to it some time this week””different department deal with refunds” I informed the agent that I would raise a dispute with Paypal

Within an hour or so the dispute was closed/ resolved and my money was refunded into my account.

Well done SNS another satisfied customer.

Just noting some great service from the Astronomy and Nature Centre / Scopes N Skies. Got a good deal on a Meade refractor at Astrofest, posted Monday and it arrived Tuesday, as advertised in a metal case and including a diagonal. I also bought a red dot finder on the day, which I found not quite to be what I expected (wrong patterns) when I got home. Rang SnS and they exchanged it without quibble, and the replacement arrived today. Also included a free stick on base for the finder. Good service!

Scopes ‘n’ Skies have not had an easy ride on the forums, some of the criticism may be justified, but speaking from my own experience I have found their service to be very good.I have ordered two items in the past 4 weeks. On each occasion, I contacted Wendy at Scopes ‘n’ Skies and asked if the item was in stock. I received a reply within 24 hours. I then emailed saying that I had placed the order. I again received prompt acknowledgement. When the item was ready for dispatch I received an email explaining the delivery arrangements, complete with tracking numbers. Both items arrived within48hrs of order placement.

During the past year or so I have made it a rule that I would not buy again from any supplier that refused to communicate with me on issues regarding availability, price or non delivery, but I do have some sympathy with suppliers when things go wrong, as they invariably do, and I try and give them the benefit of the doubt in these issues.

What I really dislike is when funds are taken from my account before an item is delivered. That is totally unacceptable. Scopes ‘n’ Skies would not, I am sure, deliberately provide a bad service, and they do seem to have addressed many of the shortfalls of their past customer service. Let’s hope they continue to do so, because some of their products are unique to them and are difficult tosource elsewhere.

These views are my own, and are based on my experiences alone.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Now in the past I personally have not had any problem with this company when others have been...how should I say it..."less than impressed with the service". Well I now join the growing number of seriously malcontents in dealing with them.

They had something I wanted at a very good price, so due to the troubles others have had I called them and asked if the item was in stock, yes was the response so I ordered it over the phone, 2 days later the money was taken out of my bank and 6 days after placing the order I called them (Monday) to find out when it would be shipped.

Oh the item wasn't in stock and it should have been in Friday but it didn't arrive but I think it has arrived today I'll go and check....yes it is in and I will send it to you express delivery...OK.

I called again today, Tuesday, just to make sure, oh the parts weren't right and we have sent them back so it will be next week before they will be in - was the answer......me getting miffed.....why was I told it was in stock last week when it wasn't.....no real answer do you want to wait for it....no, please refund money immediately...OK ...no apology so thats it with them no more business from me.

If the money is not in the bank by Thursday I will call in trading standards for taking money for items they don't have.

• 1 month later...

I feel I must point out the tragic service one must expect from scope and skies if you order from them.

I don't want to complain and rant as I have ordered many well priced items for them and have expected and can cope with a wait.

However in this case I ordered some 50mm guide rings and it is now 4 months later and they have still not been sent or monies refunded despite calls and emails.

I was particularly annoyed with how I was asked to call again and again to check stock rather then they call me when it was in stock.

I am sure that many people have had good experiences with them and I understand that their personal service is good. I myself have had things arrive within a week even though I asked for next day delivery.

So rather than a rant this is a message maybe for newbies to astronomy. My experience with scope and skies is prepare for a wait and be prepared to phone them. If you want something quick, as I did when I first got into telescopes and realised what I had was not what I needed! (Remember the realisation when you looked through that eyepiece at a star party or realised the 6" Mak made the planets huge and the 12" Dob didn't!)

Personally, going forward I would find what I want on scope and skies web site and then phone first light optics. I am not sure whether they price match etc. but often will have equipment that you may not find on the web site. (there is no affiliation but have had excellent experience when ordering for them)

Cheers

Paul

I have been done by these guys before and have been very vocal over it. They have lost a lot of my business due to the problems I had with them a couple of years ago.

Two days ago I found their 'astro boot section and gave them a go. this was a small transaction for a few bits for my daughters 60mm refractor. Also one bit for me.

Well, Ordered at about 4pm and got immediate email conformation. Next day got an email saying goods have been despatched. Next day goods for my daughter arrived by signed for RM. Pretty darn good.

Only one 'problem' is that My bit was not included. I have not been charged for it and I presume It was already one when I ordered.

This is not a major issue but it would have been nice to have at least some notification that it was sold and no longer available.

So, I give a cautious thumbs up and congratulations to scopes'n'skies.

I will now consider them again. I do reserve final judgement until I hear of more satisfied customers for an extended period but this is certainly a big improvement over the last times nightmare. I hope they continue to maintain this service!

S'n'S seem to be getting their act together:eek:;):eek:.

A friend of mine has made about half a dozen purchases (one thing at a time, on the basis of my dire warnings!) and there have been no real problems.

The worst thing I can say is that the first item resulted in an 'out of stock' email. They did not respond to the email reply Debs sent, but when I phoned on her behalf to find out when it was expected to be 'in stock', after a bit of chasing around, I was told the stock had arrived the previous day and it would be depatched immediately. It was. Every other transaction has proceeded with no problems at all. Hardly the worst service ever received.

All in all, despite my previous posting, I have cautiously added them back onto my list of 'astro suppliers I will deal with' and have ordered an adapter to fit my DSLR into the eyepiece holder, as the FLO one has been withdrawn.

Hi all,

What concerns me about Scope n Skies is that on their web site a lot of the items are marked with 'In Stock For Immediate Despatch'.

Over the last few weeks I have ordered 3 different items from them. After I ordered the first one I had an e-mail to say it wasn't in stock. When I rang them I was informed it would be 4 weeks before they had any so I cancelled the order. I have checked several times over the weeks and their web site for this item was never updated. (It continued to be marked as 'In Stock'.)

The second two items I ordered last week (again supposedly 'In Stock For Immediate Despatch') but I'm still waiting.

Surely they shouldn't mark things as 'in stock' when they aren't.

Frustrating really.

Regards,

John

Scopes and Skies get so much bad press - there's a thread running about a "Boot Sale" section and that people have bought stuff and had no problems.

I decided to have a look through, I bought a Male to Male T Adapter to connect the camera directly to the filter wheel and a set of 2" duct caps. Total cost £3, plus P&P

Got an email straight away confirming orderm, got another email the following day saying that they had been sent and they turned up in the post this morning.

Can't really ask for more... Will buy from them again.

Ant

Well its been 2 weeks on Saturday since i ordered my 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adaptor, Still no adaptor, Still no answer to my calls, Still no answer to my e-mails. Its a good job it was only £7 sale price, but thats not the point, Very Very disappointed with these guys :D.

Mark.

Ok, going against everything i had heard about them i saw a colour filter on thier website last week and was the one i wanted for a while. Compared to everywhere else i looked trying to avoid using them i could not find a cheaper price. So took the plunge and ordered a #21 orange filter from them. I paid using Paypal and the money came out pretty much straight away.

The next day i checked thier website on the "Track orders" section and it said it was being processed and will be dispatched shortly. by now i'm thinking

"Oh Fiddlesticks, knew i should not have ordered from them, i will never get that item and my har earned £5 is gone!"

However the next day i checked again and it said

"Item despatched, will be delivered soon"

:D:eek::p

Get home later that afternoon and it is there! right item and all!

so from ordering to delivery in 2-3 days!

Now i'm not saying you should go spending hundreds of pounds on there because i know they still have bad press but i just thought i would let you know that i actually managed to pull of a transaction with no mess ups!!

Placed an order on the 22nd Apl for a filter wheel in their Astroboot. Week later no delivery, rang up and they said they were looking for the wheel. Sent an email chasing up delivery last week and finally it arrived today. Not sure why there was a delay, and the one sent to me looks brand new - maybe it is if they couldn't find the original. However, they did take payment on the 24th Apl, 2 days after order and 9 days before delivery.

Anyway, bit of a delay, but they did answer my emails, and the phone, and the kit eventually arrived. Great idea to have an Astroboot, saved 25% over a new wheel - they must be snowed under with orders!

I kjow SnS take a fair bit of stick so I thought I might be taking a risk buting some odds and ends off their Astroboot section.

I'm very happy to report I ordered a few bits up on Saturday night and 'hola' this morning they arrived exactly as described.

Perfectly fast service and a good price for some odds and ends I wanted.

Placed 2 separate orders for stuff out of the Astroboot (I just love a bargain!) late on Friday. E-mails arrived Tuesday (after B'hol) to say goods had been shipped and they both arrived this morning (Thursday) recorded delivery. All the goods are present and correct.

After some of the earlier scare stories I would probably be wary of placing high value orders but I am now hooked on Astroboot and am just worried that too many people are finding out about it so all the best bargains will get snapped up before I get to them. Luckily it's not too well publicised in threads on here......Doh!

Archived