Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storage options for Takahashi FC-100

Hi all, I recently bought a very nice Tak FC-100DZ refractor, and wanting to keep it that way, have been looking for sturdy storage options. However as any of u who have one of the Tak family of FC-100 scopes will know, they are awkwardly shaped when trying to find a suitably-sized case, being quite long and thin. I couldn't find any of the cases from my usual ports of call, Peli Protector and Storm, and Explorer cases, which weren't wastefully too big in one direction or other. I would be grateful to anyone who has already carried out the same search and has any suggestions. Until then,  the original Tak original, and admittedly quite good, triple cardboard carton packaging will do.

Thank you,

Astrodan

Most unfortunately I live in Lisburn,  a suburban district of Belfast, in a orner house directly lit up by 12 streetlights; so any observing I do involves some travel to darker sites. Hence the need for safe transport protection....

I store my DZ in a Neewer bag from Amazon. As extra cushioning, I include a section of yoga mat (foam) that curls around the OTA. It accommodates the OTA with diagonal, finder and clamshell clamp in place. 

I use a smaller one for my FC 76DCU.

It might be worth looking at a suitably sized Oklop. case, which I used for my FOA 60Q. Check its wide enough to keep all the above mentioned accessories in place.

As long as it's suitably padded you can use any bag. Yoga mats are perfect for this, they're cheap, come in various thicknesses, can be cut up, and look, they're telescope shaped. You can also fit it into a yoga mat bag. Yoga is really beneficial for a lot of things.

If you don't mind paying for them, peli are generally the best, but size also incurs bulk.

Edited by Elp
More :)

Elp; if you don't understand, why respond? I already stated in my post that there are no suitable Peli or Explorer cases to fit these scopes, hence my asking for others' experiences. I damaged one pricy bit of gear after a mishap with a soft bag, and have no wish to repeat the experience!

Hi ki

Littleguy80,

It does look good, but I still would prefer a rigid case, thnx

27 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I think @Stu uses one of these. I was digging around old posts looking for the same thing recently. It’s slightly cheaper and more colourful (red so it won’t spoil your dark adaptation 😂)

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-padded-case-for-100mm-refractors-f750.html80

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, astrodan said:

Hi ki

Littleguy80,

It does look good, but I still would prefer a rigid case, thnx

I used to have a Pelicase 1510 I think it was. Trouble is you have to remove the focuser and dew shield to fit the scope in, not sure what would happen with a DZ though, whether it would fit with the focuser removed or not.

The Geoptik case is pretty good to be honest, the padding is quite firm and the scope feels well protected. I understand your concerns, but it seems a shame to lose the grab and go benefits of the FC100 by having to keep it in huge boxes. I’ve had mine for years, and taken it around a fair bit and it has survived in pretty good nick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astrodan said:

if you don't understand, why respond?

I gave both a cheap and expensive option hence the response, many people have liked my former suggestion in other threads. All my setups are stored in backpacks (with everything, mount, AP gear, everything) with yoga mat wrapped around them, haven't had an issue with any of them and I setup and break down every time, even the collimation of my C6 remains unaffected. I understand though for a Tak you'd look for something more substantial. Pelicans long cases are long enough, maybe a bit too wide but ample space to fit other equipment.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 14:09, Space Hopper said:

@astrodanIf it helps... my FC-100DZ has been quite safely living in this exact Oklop bag for almost two years now... I also have my Mewlon and FOA-60Q in Oklop bags too 👍

Edit: Forgot to add... the scope can fit into this bag with the dew shield extended or retracted 😁

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

@astrodanIf it helps... my FC-100DZ has been quite safely living in this exact Oklop bag for almost two years now... I also have my Mewlon and FOA-60Q in Oklop bags too 👍

Edit: Forgot to add... the scope can fit into this bag with the dew shield extended or retracted 😁

And with the finder in place, Gary?

I do love Oklop bags

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I do love Oklop bags

Ah no.... I use the More Blue finder dovetail system, so I can remove the finder easily 🤔

Good point, if you do indeed want (or need) to keep it attached 👍

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I do love Oklop bags

I’ve just bought the 120/900 Oklop bag for my new FC100DZ: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-120mm-900mm-apo-refractors.html.

I keep my 102 Starwave in the 120/600 bag and I like the extra room for the finder that it gives me. Hopefully it will work well for the Tak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Earl said:

Hammer, saw, etc, bit of patience measure twice and have pride in a hand made one 😊

Funnily enough I did just that for the case for my Tak FS102. When I say I, I meant somebody else did the work 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm using a StellarVue case. There's a longer model.

The main advantage is a soft case which gives very good protection.

Very popular with the TSA-120 and AP130GTX crowd on CN.

IMG_7008.thumb.jpeg.37a8fee82fe4586fd638faffe2da7906.jpeg

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 2

On 03/07/2023 at 17:16, garryblueboy said:

You can get a hard case for around £60 like this one 

IMG_1414.png

Garry : this looks very similar to the case supplied with my scope, which is on the TEC website under accessories.

Its the only thing i was disappointed in. Basically its poor quality, i would even say cheap rubbish.

I dont trust it one bit. I worry the handle will break off so always have an arm supporting it if i'm moving it about.

This one you link to is only a little bit smaller. Yet TEC list their version at $560 USD 🫣

They also list another padded version, for a still pricey $340 USD. I may look into purchasing one at some point, though i currently have no spare funds.

*Apologies for drifting off topic here. Hopefully the OP will have a good idea now what to go for*

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Garry : this looks very similar to the case supplied with my scope, which is on the TEC website under accessories.

Its the only thing i was disappointed in. Basically its poor quality, i would even say cheap rubbish.

I dont trust it one bit. I worry the handle will break off so always have an arm supporting it if i'm moving it about.

This one you link to is only a little bit smaller. Yet TEC list their version at $560 USD 🫣

They also list another padded version, for a still pricey $340 USD. I may look into purchasing one at some point, though i currently have no spare funds.

*Apologies for drifting off topic here. Hopefully the OP will have a good idea now what to go for*

Hi Rob the TEC case I have is not to bad quite robust definitely not worth there price tag  the Amazon one shown is made by a company quite close to me called Allendale they do quite a good range on there website only thing is it’s not pluck foam so you need a sharp knife they do sell a pluck foam on there site but it puts the price up to around £100 , I have a nice padded soft bag for TEC which I brought for anther scope I had so I can always use that if I need I’m also about cashed out now been an expensive six months 😂😂

• Like 1