Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Monocular vs small apo for travel?

I’d posted previously about switching my 2 existing apos over to scopes that best suit my needs (and time). 

For a fast grab and go setup at home I’m going for the Takahashi FC-100DC (mount to be decided….)

But I also want something for travel…binoculars don’t suit me (lazy eye, no binocular vision). I wondered about a small 50-60mm apo with the Baader 24-8mm zoom lens eyepiece (my previous experience with the a zoom eyepiece wasn’t great though - TV 2-4mm zoom)? Or alternatively a decent monocular which I’ve struggled to find….

Do any non-binocular “sufferers” like me have any advice in this area?? 

(p.s. I’m guessing a little apo could also be used for astrophotography at a later stage)

I had one of these for spotting duties and the views were decent if focal length limited, also had a screw hole underneath so could be mounted to a tripod:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gosky-Definition-Monocular-Telescope-Smartphone/dp/B07B8XTS3Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=27AARVQILMSMT&keywords=gosky+monocular&qid=1701259095&sprefix=godky+mo%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3

Ultimately I didn't use it much.

Despite having other scopes my Z61 is my favourite, such a versatile thing to have.

Edited by Elp

I have a little APM 80mm F/6 triplet APO I travel with. Nice and compact, only 2.5 kg OTA. Usually I only bring a 1.25" diagonal, and use a MaxVision 24mm for wide field, and three Vixen SLV EPs of 15, 9, and 5 mm. If I can carry a bit more, I do bring a 2" diagonal, and bring the Nagler  22 mm for wide field. For visual only I tend to put a carbon fibre tripod with mini-Giro alt-az mount (check-in luggage of course), for imaging I hope to use the iOptron HEM-15 I got earlier (likewise, to check in)

My travel / ultra portable setup is a 70mm ED refractor on a light weight alt-azimuth mount on a sturdy photo tripod. The whole setup weighs just under 5kg.

Like @michael.h.f.wilkinson above I use a 1.25 inch diagonal for travel and 3 eyepieces: 20mm 68 Maxvision, Baader 24mm-8mm zoom and the Svbony 8mm-3mm zoom. I have a Lunt solar wedge if I want to do some white light observing.

If space is really limited I take either 11x70 or 8x56 binoculars instead. The travel scope setup is much more capable though.

image.png.ac2971bae6e08dfe1f50d5ee77c5ed56.png

I have mobility problems tilting my head back, so my bino viewing is limited in altitude.  Lying on my back doesn't help much due to the weight of my binos, so I have looked at monos.  The best I've seen are 10x40s and I'd like a little more aperture than that.

I have a couple scopes that are compact and travel easily with a lightweight mount and tripod - a converted 50mm RACI finder that accepts different EPs and a 72ED refractor that's about 12 inches long with the dew shield retracted.  Either are superior to binos for me since I'm either looking down or horizontally.  The 72 has some astrophotgraphy features if I ever go that route.

Also, if you don't have a steady hand, a scope on a mount eliminates the shakes.  YMMV.

Good luck!

Add: If you don't mind ordering from the US, Stellavue has some very nice 50/60/80mm RACI finders with helical focusers that could be used visually for travel.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

General points...

Since planets can usually be seen from home, and since small apertures cannot reveal small, faint extended objects anyway,  my thinking has always been that compact travel scopes should be able to do what small scopes do best - and that's widefield. I wouldn't make higher powers a priority.

I'd also be reluctant to use a light-consuming complex EP in small apertures.

Olly

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

General points...

Since planets can usually be seen from home, and since small apertures cannot reveal small, faint extended objects anyway,  my thinking has always been that compact travel scopes should be able to do what small scopes do best - and that's widefield. I wouldn't make higher powers a priority.

I'd also be reluctant to use a light-consuming complex EP in small apertures.

Olly

The eyepiece part of the question:

My usual favourite 2 eyepieces for my 4 inch apo are not high power: TV Panoptic 24 and Delos 10…..the Delos eyepieces are bulky!! I’d be thinking much the same for this smaller setup.

I’d wondered if the more premium Leica/Baader zoom eyepieces might be a “one eyepiece” travel solution — saying that my only experience of a zoom eyepiece the TV 2-4mm zoom wasn’t great…..

45 minutes ago, Neutrinosoup said:

.....saying that my only experience of a zoom eyepiece the TV 2-4mm zoom wasn’t great…..

I find that one superb with my scopes, although I don't use it much with my 70mm F/6 travel scope.

The Nagler zooms are not really complex eyepieces - 5 elements. Clever design though.

@ollypenrice's point about travel scopes majoring on the widefield is an interesting one though.

1 hour ago, John said:

I find that one superb with my scopes, although I don't use it much with my 70mm F/6 travel scope.

The Nagler zooms are not really complex eyepieces - 5 elements. Clever design though.

@ollypenrice's point about travel scopes majoring on the widefield is an interesting one though.

The issue with the TV zoom was that I was using it on smaller aperture apos…..and found that I only ever really used the 4mm or 3.5mm setting. I sold it and replaced with a Delos 4.5 eyepiece. Maybe I’d have liked the 6-3mm version better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neutrinosoup said:

The issue with the TV zoom was that I was using it on smaller aperture apos…..and found that I only ever really used the 4mm or 3.5mm setting. I sold it and replaced with a Delos 4.5 eyepiece. Maybe I’d have liked the 6-3mm version better.

I find that I use down to 3 mm quite regularly with my 100mm, 120mm and 130mm refractors. 2.5mm from time to time and it's nice to have. 2mm - not often. I also now have the Svbony 3-8mm zoom which is becoming a regular fixture in the diagonals of my refractors. 

Edited by John

I used to have a very nice TS 72mm f6 with fpl-53 glass, this one:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8866_TS-Optics-Doublet-SD-Apo-72-mm-f-6---FPL53---Lanthanum-Glass-Objective.html

It’s excellent optically and a good compromise between 60 and 80mm scopes ie being more compact than an 80mm but having that bit more aperture than a 60mm, whilst still being very compact for travel. The focuser is also an excellent R&P so it will hold a 2” diagonal and large eyepiece for those widefield views.

I currently have Taks in 60, 76 and 100mm, but actually even though the 76 unscrews in the middle so it can go in carry on baggage, the TS scope is more convenient as it just fits in with no problem, and the shorter focal length is better for widefield. The Tak is better for high power doubles and planetary though I would say but I would strongly consider something like the TS.

• Like 1

The Borgs have very light tubes. I used to have a Borg 76ED (now discontinued - replaced with the 77ED I believe) and it was less than 4lb.  My 80mm Lomo triplet in William Optics tube is literally double the weight.

I ended up selling the Borg because it was too close to my Lomo triplet, and instead got an FS-60CB which is lighter than the Borg, but also smaller.

Here's an Astrotech family portrait that might help give an idea of relative sizes.  AT doesn't sell outside the US, but I assume the same scopes are sold under different brand names elsewhere.

I initially bought a 102ED (red arrow) but it was quite a chunk.  Great optics, but it was really bigger / bulkier that what I wanted.  It was the same length as my ST120 and a bit heavier.  I was leaning toward an 80ED (purple arrow), but its size is nearing the 102, so I ruled that out and bought a 72ED (green bar) which is about 5 pounds and 12 inches long with dew shield retracted.  The 72ED is roughly half the weight of the 80ED IIRC and I only gave up 8mm of aperture.

(If you're curious, the short, stout fellow on the far right is a 90mm triplet which has been discontinued.  That one was heavy and beyond my astro budget.)

AT fracs ed.jpeg

Edited by jjohnson3803

As far as I know AT same or similar to TS (teleskop express), Altair, the Starfield 102. In no way shape or form is a 102 a practical travel though (as in just one person carrying it distance (ie around an airport) with all accessories, mount, tripod with no access to wheels, just in hand or back carriage). Get a 70 (80mm pushing it) or less refractor.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1